Flute Cases Again

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Flute Cases Again

Post by BigDavy »

if you are quick maybe this GEMEINHARDT FLUTE CASE might suit

Or this Hardshell flute case

This seller Wausau Music Centerhas a few second hand flute cases - I liked the look of the French flute case.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

The bottom dollar in a compact hard-shell case has to be a rollup stuffed into a piece of PVC pipe w/ end caps...
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

What a great idea! :-D

BY THE WAY, we're all missing the biggest news here ... LOREN'S GOT A FLUTE AT LAST! Congratulations, Loren! :party:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

wot? this 'un?
Loren wrote:I am currently looking for a case for a 6 key R&R style flute
I wasn't sure he wanted us to notice :wink:
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Loren - I'll be interested to see if you come up with something better than I'm using...which is a pistol case. The integrated handle, and thickness, make it bulky, but it allows for 2 D whistles, my cork grease, and the small electric tuner to travel with my flute.

Your gun laws probably don't even come close to working in a Federal Building...with armed, uniformed guards, x-rayed machines, and Dept. of Homeland Security (they're in black with M-16s and guard dogs).

The old guards know what's in the pistol case, and they seem to take great joy in watching the new guards freak when they see the gun case going through the scanner...or when we don't have to go through x-ray the newer guards tend to run after me shouting "hey, sir, I need you to stop right now and show me what's in that case...because it looks like a pistol case". Without my Federal ID badge, I'm pretty sure they'd tackle me to check the case...

Who knew playing flute could be so dangerous?

Eric
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

I have just been informed that the box I mentioned before is now discontinued, it did seem a bit too good to be true and as Jem mentioned it may not have lasted very long.
I had considered a similar course to Aanvil and so will look into that idea over the next few days or the other option is I'll just have to make one.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

You want a pistol case?

(The 4-gun version of) THIS is a pistol case:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

My usual kit includes

Two flutes (D + Eb or Bb)
a low D whistle
a low A whistle, fully assembled
3 smaller whistles (D, Eb, C)
Cork grease
Teflon tape
Humistat
Cleaning rag
Cleaning rod

It's about the size of a briefcase, though deeper, so too big for Loren's backpack, I suspect. But for the automotively inclined, if you don't mind looking like some sort of competition shooter, it works a treat. Also makes a handy and level drinks "table" at outdoor gigs.

:-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

I've stolen one of the kids laptop cases (they'll never miss it...) A small gun case just slides into the pocket on top. Music notepad in the pocket on the bottom, rest of the junk inside (cloth, rod, spare flute, whistles, fife, recorder, batteries, tuner, grease, pencils, manuals, and god-knows-what)

This way, I just look geekie instead of dangerous....(LOL)
603/329-7322
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I look so the antithesis of dangerous that I kinda enjoy trying on the role. :-D
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I look so the antithesis of dangerous that I kinda enjoy trying on the role. :-D
I dunno, wielding that flute to my left, you looked pretty dangerous to me..... :D
603/329-7322
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Liney Bear wrote:I realize this is not quite as deep as you'd like but might be worth a look anyway. I think it may be crush proof too.
http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1090CC
Are you sure that wouldn't be deep enough? It says that laptops of 1.7" thickness can fit. My keyless flute has a maximum diameter of only 1&3/16". I'd think that the extra width of the keys would just sink into the foam interior, if even they needed more than 1.7".

On another note,
Is anyone making cases out of carbon fiber? If such a case had the same amount of padding that a traditional hardwood case would have, I think it would be ideal for viable protection in a minimal size. I've looked but only see CF cases for other types of instruments.
Check out: Folding@Home!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
BY THE WAY, we're all missing the biggest news here ... LOREN'S GOT A FLUTE AT LAST! Congratulations, Loren! :party:

Flute? What flute?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jayhawk wrote:Loren - I'll be interested to see if you come up with something better than I'm using...which is a pistol case. The integrated handle, and thickness, make it bulky, but it allows for 2 D whistles, my cork grease, and the small electric tuner to travel with my flute.

Your gun laws probably don't even come close to working in a Federal Building...with armed, uniformed guards, x-rayed machines, and Dept. of Homeland Security (they're in black with M-16s and guard dogs).

The old guards know what's in the pistol case, and they seem to take great joy in watching the new guards freak when they see the gun case going through the scanner...or when we don't have to go through x-ray the newer guards tend to run after me shouting "hey, sir, I need you to stop right now and show me what's in that case...because it looks like a pistol case". Without my Federal ID badge, I'm pretty sure they'd tackle me to check the case...

Who knew playing flute could be so dangerous?

Eric
Wow, you like living on the edge Eric. One trigger happy rookie and we'll be hearing about you on the news :o

A bunch of good options have been brought up so far. Nothing quite "perfect" for me needs yet, but I doubt my ideal case exists, so I'll have to look into each of these a bit, and then decide what compromises I am willing to make.

Loren
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

This Pelican case is similar to the other one but smaller. It has foam blocks to customise for your instrument. I think I'm going with it, if my new flute turns out to fit.
http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1080

A bigger one with the blocks:
http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1090
Check out: Folding@Home!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Jack Bradshaw wrote: I dunno, wielding that flute to my left, you looked pretty dangerous to me..... :D
Dangerous to that stray Budweiser under my chair, at any rate. :tomato: :tomato:

But IIRC the flute wasn't involved in that takedown.

Wow, we need to do that again sometime (the tunes, not the beer-tipping -- or the getting yelled at by Billy McComiskey)! Maybe we'll get to NH this summer during our annual VT swing. No East Durham this year, alas :-( -- gotta conserve those plane rides.