New Flute - Decided! but which embouchure???

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ade
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Flute - Decided! but which embouchure???

Post by Ade »

Thanks all for your help with my earlier question about new flute choice. I have decided and ordered Terry McGees Rudall 5088 D Keyless in Blackwood with long D foot, Eccentric Bore Head and tuning slide. BUT, I still cant decide on the embouchure cut, whether to go with the rounded rectangle or the 2 semicircle. I know there are a number of threads on this forum and i have read them all, and still cant decide. I have not and do not have the opportunity to try these, so I am making my choice on Terry's own comments and those of members of this forum.

I am looking to achieve a dark traditional irish tone and feel, but I am a beginner to the flute, so do not want a cut that will make learning too difficult?

I am currently playing an M&E keyless polymer flute, but I do not know how this compares to Terry's embouchures, does anyone know?

Is the rounded rectangle much louder? or, much easier to play, so does that make it a better choice for a beginner?

Does the 2 semicircle give a much darker traditional tone?

Libraryman (or anyone) Which of these 2 embouchures do you prefer on your 5088?

Will I ever be able to decide on which one to order, or do I have to save up even more and get two heads!??

Please help!

Ade
Cork
antispam: No

Re: New Flute - Decided! but which embouchure???

Post by Cork »

Given your state of indecision, and given that the maker could offer a choice of head joint embouchures, I'd suggest that you get both head joints.

That way, you'll have an opportunity to decide for yourself as to just which embouchure works the better for you.

Really, the cost of the extra head joint is quite small, to give you such options.
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

I'd recommend an elliptical embouchure hole. Reason: gives you lots of flexibility which you MAY have to pay with additional time to get used to the flute, but it's worth it.
Henke

Post by Henke »

The cost of one headjoint is acctually not insignificant, at least it wouldn't be for me.
The M&E you have probably lies closest to the elliptical embouchure (the old style cut). The only McGee I've tried had a rounded rectangle embouchure, it was very easy to play and it was very loud, but I found it too bright for my taste. It was a very forgiving flute, for good and for bad. Given your preference, I would probably recomend the 2 semi circles. It would still be easier to play than the M&E, more forgiving, and it might be better in achieving the tone you're after. But take my advice (as with everyone elses) with a big grain of salt. I have my preferences, this is just a matter of you getting your own.
The best guy to make recomendations for you is probably Terry McGee, but even he can only speculate. But whatever you get it's bound to be a great flute, and you will probably adapt to it and it will eventually be your preference.

Mmmm, The Glenlivet 16y.o Nadurra is a lovely
whisky :)
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

JMHO but just ask for his modern cut and just learn to play it.

That may be his 2 semi-circle.

When your tone comes it will come.

Having what you think is "easy blower" won't make that happen any sooner.

They are all hard to blow at first. :)

I don't think you are going to have any less problems with a the rectangle anyway.

I've played both. I prefer the rounder one.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Henke wrote:Mmmm, The Glenlivet 16y.o Nadurra is a lovely
Oh yes, it is. I like it with a wee drop of water. Just lovely.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Aanvil wrote:JMHO but just ask for his modern cut and just learn to play it...That may be his 2 semi-circle...
Aanvil is saying something worthwhile, here, in that the smaller, 2 semi-circle, or elliptical, head joint is all that one needs to play that flute.

The larger, rounded rectangle embouchure, moreover, is more than is needed, but then, that's where the fun begins.

;-)
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Did you ask Terry what his opinion was?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Terry cuts a great embouchure. All three are lovely. My personal McGee flute has the Rounded rectangle but I could die happy with the 2 semi circle (or the elliptical for that matter).

The rounded rectangle is a titch louder, a titch purer and a titch easier for a beginner.

Once you get any good you'll be able to make either do whatever you want.

Best to spend more time practicing and less time fussing about micro details of a great maker.* :)

Doc

*Everyone please disregard this statement and continue buying lots of flutes (Sheesh what was I thinkin'?!). :lol:
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
groxburgh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by groxburgh »

I think you should go for the 2 semi circle cut. I've played both this and Terry's rounded rectangle cut, and also his more traditional elliptical cut. I recommended the rounded rectangle cut to a friend who also plays Boehm flute (for Klezmer in nasty keys) and she's very happy with it as it's not too dissimilar to her Boehm. And for myself I'd prefer the elliptical. With the 2 semi circle one you simply can't go wrong. You probably can't really go wrong with either of the others but why not start more in the middle of the spectrum?

Others opinions are just as valid as mine.
Cheers
Graeme
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Link--->An old thread.

Terry McGee's comments might be of interest to you (Ade).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
karl

Post by karl »

Ade wrote:
I am looking to achieve a dark traditional irish tone and feel, but I am a beginner to the flute, so do not want a cut that will make learning too difficult?

Is the rounded rectangle much louder? or, much easier to play, so does that make it a better choice for a beginner?

Does the 2 semicircle give a much darker traditional tone?

Will I ever be able to decide on which one to order, or do I have to save up even more and get two heads!??

Please help!

Ade
I went through exactly the same thing over a year ago when trying to pick a head and cut from Terry. I have one of Terry's GLP, Eccentric Bore Head with rounded rectangle cut. The main reason I went for it the rounded rectangle was for its ease of playing. The flute plays lovely and does have a sweeter tone as you will probably read. However, you said you want a darker traditional tone which you are going to get with Terry's elliptical cut not the rounded rectangle. Having said that I can get a dark tone out mine if it if I try, but its not its 'natural setting' if that makes any sense?

Last August I met another player who had one of Terry's flutes with a thinned head and an elliptical cut. We swapped heads to see how our own flutes would sound with different heads / cuts. I found there to be quite a discernable difference. The elliptical did indeed give my flute a darker traditional tone. I liked the sound of my flute a more with the elliptical cut rather than my own rounded rectangle. That is of course a personal preference.

As for ease of playing, I found the elliptical no harder to play than my rounded rectangle and I'm fairly new to the flute. And the volume? Both I and the other player thought the elliptical cut sounded loader than the rounded rectangle. We didn't have a sound meter so can't really say that is true, it may just have been our perception or the acoustics in the room. I liked the elliptical cut so much that I have ordered a new head from Terry!

A new head is not cheap so it would be good to make the right choice first time around. So in summary - from my experience, if you are looking for the dark traditional tone, go with the elliptical cut. I found it no more difficult to play than the rounded rectangle and didn't notice any decrease in volume. Either way, Terry makes a great flute and every one who has played mine has commented on good it is.

Karl.
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

It is all a matter of taste, but I have the GLP with an elliptical embouchure and it is very good. I also play Boehm and _have_ tried Terry's RAF (roving ambasssador) flute with the rectangular embouchure. The rectangle does play very easily and is similar to the Boehm but I got the wooden flute so that I could have something different... And it is.

Chris.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I'd say the elliptical :D
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Henke

Post by Henke »

karl wrote: A new head is not cheap so it would be good to make the right choice first time around. So in summary - from my experience, if you are looking for the dark traditional tone, go with the elliptical cut. I found it no more difficult to play than the rounded rectangle and didn't notice any decrease in volume. Either way, Terry makes a great flute and every one who has played mine has commented on good it is.

Karl.
Yes. But this is all very subjective. The elliptical cut works better for some than for others. I myself am part of the first cathegory just like you in this case. That doesn't mean that this fellow would find it as easy to play, in fact I think most people doesn't. I think most people could learn if they wanted to, but the rounded rectange cut is generally easier to play, that's why we have it. I am myself curious how Terry's two semi circles embouchure would work for me, if it's a good trade off between the two.
Gabriel wrote:Oh yes, it is. I like it with a wee drop of water. Just lovely.
I could make that quite a big drop of water. Remarkable how much this dram can take without breaking up. I usually like some high octane in my cask strength drams (except when doing a tasting), but this one really does benefit from a little dilution. But then it is a CS, 100% American barrel