Cliffs of moher and F natural

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
David Levine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by David Levine »

It is a lovely version.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, that's gorgeous Peter. :lol: though no question about an F natural there at all. :lol: And wow, another reminder of how settings move around.

I have several of Joe Bane's settings of tunes -- his Sporting Nell in particular is so elegant -- is this the same school of thinking? Ah, to spend a lifetime inside these guys' ears.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Cathy Wilde wrote:no question about an F natural there at all.
It is essentially a pentatonic version I suppose but the tune moves around the e's in a similar way. I played rolls, ege or Bee and you could do all of these in the other version. Just as some people might be tempted to put an f nat in this version.

It is a matter of aesthetics. And it is something I have thought about long and hard. I really think the f nat stands out like a sore thumb in that particular spot in that particular tune. Same for the first part of Banish Misfortune which I already mentioned or the first part of Garret Barry's for that matter.
David Levine

Post by David Levine »

Third part of Banish...
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I know David, but I have heard quite a lot of people go straight for the Fnat at the start of the tune. For the third part I'd rather go for the in betweens rather than the actual natural.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:oops: Been there, flattened that. (And can't say I won't give in to the impulse again -- <sigh> I have no self-discipline)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

Yes, that's a lovely version Peter ... have to pick that up but not much use playing it that way in our local session!!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Flutered wrote: ... have to pick that up but not much use playing it that way in our local session!!
I thought the same thing. Ah well, personal edification is good, right ?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Flutered wrote:Yes, that's a lovely version Peter ... have to pick that up but not much use playing it that way in our local session!!
Yeah, that was my point, earlier on. There are lots of unique and lovely tune arrangements that work really well if played solo, or arranged with other players... maybe even in an intimate session, among friends. But I wouldn't spring these variants on strangers!
Still not convinced the Cliffs of Moher ever needs an F nat, even on a good day... This tune (and others) have held up pretty well as is, and often just lose magic with these somewhat arbitrary changes, rather than adding something good..
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Gordon wrote:
Flutered wrote: Still not convinced the Cliffs of Moher ever needs an F nat, even on a good day... This tune (and others) have held up pretty well as is, and often just lose magic with these somewhat arbitrary changes, rather than adding something good..
That is why I asked. Since I heard it first with F nat I thought maybe that was one of those things that made the tune what it is, not something added to show off. Later when I heard it with a plain old F#, the tune seemed kind of boring. Now I know the truth and I'll be able to play it boring with my head held high that I'm not doing something wrong like playing a beginner version or something like that.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

sbfluter wrote:Later when I heard it with a plain old F#, the tune seemed kind of boring. Now I know the truth and I'll be able to play it boring with my head held high that I'm not doing something wrong like playing a beginner version or something like that.
Well an f# just there is indeed kind of boring. I would play ege instead, or occasionally drop down with eBe.
David Levine

Post by David Levine »

I don't think you have to do the one thing all the time. You don't have to play variations all the time, either. Depends on where and when.
That's part of the fun of it - for me, anyway.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

sbfluter wrote:
Gordon wrote:
Flutered wrote: Still not convinced the Cliffs of Moher ever needs an F nat, even on a good day... This tune (and others) have held up pretty well as is, and often just lose magic with these somewhat arbitrary changes, rather than adding something good..
Eh!, I don't think you can attribute the above to me!! although I might be inclined to agree. Might have been Peter Laban? That's the trouble with all those nested quotes - get you tied up in knots.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Along the lines of version exploration, here's a niiiice setting (it's the second jig)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_cc43qWvcY

(thanks, Steve & TJ!)
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Here's another. Again, it's the second tune in the set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBONRwNY77c
William Bajzek