How do i revive after work???

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I have a very draining and challenging job, and am often on-call.
So lots of times I'm "too tired" when I get home.
Sometimes I don't even get home until after dinner.
So I try to play lots on the weekend.
I would like to play more, but sometimes mindless internet surfing after a day at work is all I can manage.

M
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I have a very draining and challenging job, and am often on-call.
So lots of times I'm "too tired" when I get home.
Sometimes I don't even get home until after dinner.
So I try to play lots on the weekend.
I would like to play more, but sometimes mindless internet surfing after a day at work is all I can manage.

M
Mindless activities can recharge the batteries; just grab the flute and play anything that pops into awareness while you surf. I often do repetitious stuff like practicing cuts or rolls while I am reading something on the net. I think it all adds up. Works for me, anyway.
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper »

im one of the lucky ones. i teach elementary music so i end up playing guitar, flute or pipes all day long. i usually have some time between classes and i get a couple breaks in my day so i practice often. the kids also love to hear me play. sometimes if we get done with a lesson and have a few minutes ill get out my pipes and play a jig or reel and let the kids get up and dance. i teach in the inner city so its funny to see the kids dancing the "soulja boy" to some irish music. :D

my big problem is finding time in the afternoons to get my exercise in. with 4 kids, homework and cooking dinner im usually too exhausted to do anything else.
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

reading all these posts reminds me just how fortunate i am. i live less than five minutes from work. i live in a very, very, very small town. I am home in time to play/practice/noodle for an hour before i have to cook dinner. i have time after dinner to play some more (my sons are very tolerant.) i am truly fortunate.

but i remember when i lived in los angeles. i never stopped thinking of music. no matter where i was. music is what makes the rest of this insanity called american society tolerable.

be well, all,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this. I like the idea of taking a brisk walk, and playing standing up (I do that a bit already, as i just don't feel like sitting after and hour in the car)!
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

15-30 minutes of decompression from an hour commute , take your pick...

liangong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVEvLpw3tSc
yoga sun salutations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFwe9sS8s30
martial art warmup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfuwiYHddo&NR=1
five tibetan rites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZLHIY06 ... re=related
chen chi joint warmup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOEV26N2 ... re=related
tai chi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAe95N3T ... re=related

the secret key: a safe and effective method for any exercise - stay within your pain free range of motion - never move into the pain. even if your movements are small and somewhat restrictive at the start. so on a scale of 1- 10 (10 being the worst pain you ever felt in your life), stay within 3 or less, think 'shave away restrictions' little by little. after a few weeks of regular practice of any of above methods, you won't believe the difference. nothing happens overnight. happytooting!
phlute626

How do I revive after work?

Post by phlute626 »

I think of practicing as a treat/ energizer/therapy. However there days when you just have to give it a rest. I try to stick to the same practice time each day because at this point in my life my days are tightly scheduled. I agree with "something is better than nothing"!
dwinterfield

Re: How do i revive after work???

Post by dwinterfield »

Il Friscaletto wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for getting oneself in the practicing mood, for those days when you just don't feel motivated? I would like to stay away from the caffeine solution.
Same thing happens to me. I find that if I pick it up, mess around for 2-5 minutes (as others have described above) a couple of things might happen. I might start to practice. Or I might put it down and turn on the tube. That 2-5 minutes makes a difference the next night when I have more time to play. If I haven't touched it in 2-3 days I notice to drop off immendiately.

Picking it up is always the hardest part.

Good luck
mark
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

I can't really contribute a lot, other than to say that since I tend to wake up pretty early, I leave home well in advance of my start time at work and take either my flute or double bass with me and practice parts or scales before too many people show up (I just go into an out-of-the-way meeting room).

Then I play a bit after I get home after dinner (my wife is very understanding that way).

If I were more disciplined, I'd practice better, but this at least keeps me reasonably up on my game.
DJ Allan Series 1 Pratten in lemon wood
Tony Dixon 3-piece
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Shifting gears by doing something novel or at least not work may energize a person after work as may a nap, a light snack or cup of green tea. Physical exertion is a change in routine for much of industrialized society and will likely be restorative unless taken to an extreme. Even then it may prompt alertness, feelings later of well-earned rest and a mental boost. Such outcomes can lead to ITM...so be careful.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Trying going to sleep one hour earlier instead of doing the abovementioned mindless activities, wake up one hour earlier and do your practice the first thing in the day.
Irish Marine

Time

Post by Irish Marine »

It's wonderful to hear about those of your that play at work. I've been thinking about it, but it's tough to find the time. Right now I practice just before cooking dinner, throughout cooking dinner, and for the 15-30 minutes after dinner where my family and I just chat. My son likes to dance while I play, or tries to give the flute a toot himself. Of course, I don't play that entire time, but rather intermittently play. My wife likes to have conversations, so that always gets in the way :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

they do that :wink:
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

This modern day rocking chair does the job for me!
As you can see it's also equipet with swinging-back armrests :D

Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

lixnaw wrote:This modern day rocking chair does the job for me!
As you can see it's also equipet with swinging-back armrests :D

Oh, I want one! Does it have a foot rest also? :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon