Mopane: Anyone have a reaction to it?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I'm touchy about some of the rosewoods and cocus. Haven't had trouble with blackwood.

Mopane seems very inert to me. I'd touch base with Casey Burns. If anyone would have heard anything he would have.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillG »

I currently play Blackwood, Mopane and Box wood with no reactions at all. I did play a Rosewood fife some years ago that made my lips begin to "tingle" so I stopped playing it. I recall playing a flute recently that had been rubbed down, on the outside, with Tongue Oil and that caused a similar sensation. I solved that one with an alcohol rub followed by an application of Almond/Olive Oil (maybe 60::40)
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

No problem with mopane here. Casey Burns is a chemically sensitive person with allergies and he built my mopane flute.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

BillG wrote:I currently play Blackwood, Mopane and Box wood with no reactions at all. I did play a Rosewood fife some years ago that made my lips begin to "tingle" so I stopped playing it. I recall playing a flute recently that had been rubbed down, on the outside, with Tongue Oil and that caused a similar sensation. I solved that one with an alcohol rub followed by an application of Almond/Olive Oil (maybe 60::40)
Yech...Whose tounge?
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Denny

Post by Denny »

toughknot wrote:
BillG wrote:I currently play Blackwood, Mopane and Box wood with no reactions at all. I did play a Rosewood fife some years ago that made my lips begin to "tingle" so I stopped playing it. I recall playing a flute recently that had been rubbed down, on the outside, with Tongue Oil and that caused a similar sensation. I solved that one with an alcohol rub followed by an application of Almond/Olive Oil (maybe 60::40)
Yech...Whose tounge?
and how much oil can ya get outta one?
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Denny wrote:and how much oil can ya get outta one?
Probably depends on the source. For instance, if it's a used car dealer or a member of the news media or a politician, then probably a lot. On th other hand, if it were a librarian, then it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. All that shushing, you know.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks again everyone.

While I have owned a Mopane flute in the past - a wonderful playing and sounding Casey Burns Bb - I didn't really have it long enough to tell if it might cause me allergy problems in the long haul. With good quality aged Euro Boxwood becoming more difficult to come by, and all rosewoods out of the question, I'm considering different woods as I look to ordering a keyed flute for completion in the future.

Loren
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Mopane Reaction

Post by demon_piper »

Greetings all!

I owned a De Keyser Mopane flute. Awesome flute! I loved it, but I had an allergic reaction to it!

No problem with blackwood ever, I play highland pipes and have played a number of blackwood flutes.

Now looking at a Dekeyser blackwood on Ebay because I liked them so much!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Mopane Reaction

Post by Jon C. »

demon_piper wrote:Greetings all!

I owned a De Keyser Mopane flute. Awesome flute! I loved it, but I had an allergic reaction to it!

No problem with blackwood ever, I play highland pipes and have played a number of blackwood flutes.

Now looking at a Dekeyser blackwood on Ebay because I liked them so much!
Hi,
Are you sure it was Mopane, and not Cocobolo? The reason I ask, they look similar to each other, but cocobolo can give a severe reaction. Also Cocobolo is a much more common wood, at least in these parts. Just a thought.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I've only had one client who felt she was allergic to it. Same with boxwood. I've had a few more with blackwood. But in general, most aren't.

Cocobolo is another matter. I am allergic to that and to all of the red rosewoods. Makes me break out in a rash.

Casey
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

This was posted by Mike Hulme over on the Uilleann Forum. Some of you may find it helpful.

I started to play around with ornamental turning recently, and found this link to a table of wood toxicity, which appears to include almost everything pipmakers would use!

http://ornamentalturning.net/craft/turn ... rials.html

The link is on the right of the page.

Tommy
BillG

Post by BillG »

I did some research:

Tongue oil

Q: We think we want wide plank flooring w/o a polyurethane finish – a manufacturer has recommended sealing with tongue oil after staining. Is this acceptable?

A: An oil finish is ok. Nice look. But it takes a lot more care and maintenance to keep it looking good. Why not just apply several coats of polyurethane in a satin finish?

Any questions?
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Mopane is a little plain. I prefer something in tiger maple.