Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Arbo,

Great playing there, I thought. Lovely. Thanks for sharing that. I liked the reverb. I haven't figured out my reverb yet. I can put in a lot, but have trouble with putting in a little

Bowjest,

Sounds like you're on the right track with that. Now, the B section.

And here's one I heard somewhere on someone's website, Setanta, I'm thinking.

Not sure of the tune's origins or name. This is my rendition, and if anyone wants to comment, please feel free. Maybe someone's heard of it.

gone to Costa Rica

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Michael,

nice job on the slow air. I think you actually settled into it towards the end. At least that's where I got a sense of the tune. Some very nice vibrato use as well. I also felt like your second octave sounded relaxed as you played. Nice volume control up there!

By the way, that air and reel I recently posted was actually recorded a while ago. I stopped recording with Pro Tools and using reverb after Jem's comments, but I'm thinking of going back to my old system, and using a splash of reverb!

Bowjest,

Thanks for the submission. I agree with Michael...go for the B section!

Arbo
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

JeffS wrote:Here's a tune I heard at a session. I think it's called Up Down and Around or something along those lines.

http://www.box.net/shared/b70yp518gs
Great clips of this tune from both you, Jeff, and Arbo. I usually play it on whistle, too, but here's my flute rendition. Oh, I know it as "Far Away" as well.

Far Away
~Tiff
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Michael, Arbo,

Thanks. I'm starting the B section today! :D

My wife must be a saint to put up with me.

PS - Does Olwell have his own web site? It may sound dumb, but Googling Olwell and flute just gives me links to stuff other than a web site.
DJ Allan Series 1 Pratten in lemon wood
Tony Dixon 3-piece
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

bowjest wrote:PS - Does Olwell have his own web site? It may sound dumb, but Googling Olwell and flute just gives me links to stuff other than a web site.
Bowjest,

That's impressive after only one month. Looking forward to hearing the B section too.

Olwell does not have a website. You can contact him at <patolwell@aol.com>. He'll send you a sheet with descriptions and pricing. I can PM you details from the sheet if you're interested.

MichaelR
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Tiff~

Lovely. See, this is what I enjoy about this site- I now have two other versions of Far Away to play around with, add some variations, rethink ornamentation, etc. Great sound out of that flute btw. I am thinking after listening to your clip and Jeff's clip that I should maybe add some more ornamentation and play it with a steadier waltz rhythm? Thanks for the setting.
Arbo

I add this as an after thought (for those of you who like airs!).
I believe it is called, Rocking the Cradle.
http://www.box.net/shared/lphhg3hs8s
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

MichaelR,

Thanks for your very kind comments and Pat Olwell's address. I'm really enjoying learning to play.

Please do send me a pm with more Olwell info. I'm wanting to learn as much as I can about a variety of makers.
DJ Allan Series 1 Pratten in lemon wood
Tony Dixon 3-piece
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Please do send me a pm with more Olwell info. I'm wanting to learn as much as I can about a variety of makers.
hi, could you send me details as well? :D
Thanks,
Othannen
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Here's one of my favorite June McCormack tunes from Fliuit.

The Green Fields of Woodford

I just wanted to share because I like the tune and today is such a beautiful, green Spring day.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

you're coming along wonderfully diane. very pleasing tone, rhythm etc. easy on the ears, and of course you have some tasty tunes!
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

sbfluter wrote:Here's one of my favorite June McCormack tunes from Fliuit.

The Green Fields of Woodford

I just wanted to share because I like the tune and today is such a beautiful, green Spring day.
That's a great tune, Diane. Thanks for sharing it. You're coming along very nicely.
~Tiff
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Tiff-
Okay, I guess it's called "Far Away." I quite liked your playing of the tune. Nice job. You dress it up a bit more than I. It's appropriately melancholy.
Keep up the good work!
Jeff
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Arbo -
I was looking for a simple slip jig in the O'Neil's book and came upon this tune. It is, indeed, a simple tune and I've never heard it recorded anywhere. Yet, it is a lovely tune. I look forward to hear you play it.

Jeff
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

JeffS: Sessions calls it Up Down and Around and says it's also called Far Away.

Great playing there Diane, nice and relaxed.

I'm enjoying the new posts. Thanks everyone.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Here's a version of Dunphy's Hornpipe I learned over at whistlethis.com. A couple of flub-ups, but I decided to post it anyway. I should probably have done another take on it, but sometimes, it seems the more takes I do, the worse I get. It seems that recording tunes is just somehow unnatural and takes away from the playing of the music. Anyone else feel that way?

Dunphy's Hornpipe

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig