moist lips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

moist lips

Post by mutepointe »

My flute playing is a whole lot smoother when my lips stay moist. Does this affect other folks? I'm not fond of vaseline type things on my lips to keep them moist. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Gostrangely

Post by Gostrangely »

I use Neutrogena Norwegian formula lip balm, not particularly greasy and lasts for a while.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

first, stay hydrated
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Yer Right Denny! :party:

Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Yup I play so much better after a pint or two moistens my lips... Unfortunately I have it on good authority that the improvement in my playing happens only in my own head.

Clark
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I find that what counts for me is keeping the inner surfaces of the lips moist. If my mouth is dry, the inner surface sticks to the teeth, and playing's difficult.

Since the outer surfaces are normally dry, it's not a factor to me. I'll lick the inner surfaces when I need to. Licking the outer surfaces - for me - doesn't do anything but eventually give me chapping.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I have a friend that uses chocolate.

A chocolate Lab!

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Wormdiet

Re: moist lips

Post by Wormdiet »

mutepointe wrote:My flute playing is a whole lot smoother when my lips stay moist. Does this affect other folks? I'm not fond of vaseline type things on my lips to keep them moist. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Get a humidifier fer yer house.

It will also help keep things like guitars happy.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cork

Re: moist lips

Post by Cork »

mutepointe wrote:My flute playing is a whole lot smoother when my lips stay moist. Does this affect other folks? I'm not fond of vaseline type things on my lips to keep them moist. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
An old flute player's trick is to put a clean silver dime in the mouth, under the tongue.

Strange, but true! The silver gets the saliva going, which in turn keeps the lips moist.

Edit: Another thing is to completely avoid things like coffee, tea, soda, milk and dairy products. If you're thirsty, go for fruit juice, instead.
Last edited by Cork on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rforbes

Post by rforbes »

Yeah, that's a problem for me in the winters here--the same low humidity that is unkind to flutes is not good for the lips either. Blistex or Chapstick is certainly better than nothing, but I would agree with Denny--hydration is best. In addition to the pints, a pitcher of water and some glasses on the table helps quite a bit!

Rob