Extremely odd eBay flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Extremely odd eBay flute

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

FLUTE-Antique-JGL Hartmann-Hamburg-1835?Instrument!Wood

There's the "stethoscope" trill key - why drill a big hole when you can drill two small holes? Then there's the foot - seems to go down to B, I think the C# key is broken - but what actuates it?
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

You got that right, very strange! Looks like some of the keys were added later, the ones that are stacked. I have seen the double key cups before, somewhere? It just looks like a bad idea, who's time came and went!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Hmmm, I've seen that stacked system before and it was quite clever. Unfortunately, I am not so clever and can't quite remember what was so clever about it. I think it was something to do with minimising the pressure required to close two keys by having the springs in series rather than parallel. It wouldn't surprise me if Rick Wilson has something on it on his pages, but they report as being unavailable at the moment.

The stethoscope trill key is certainly unusual. Only thing I can think of is that the maker wanted to minimise the longitudinal length of the hole, perhaps to avoid it stifling response on a very high note. But that's just speculation.

Terry
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Hmm...
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Matt_Celta
Tell us something.: Interested in flute playing and uilleann piping. Mainly irish traditional music, but also european folk, classical and early music. Looking for music to play on the simple system flute.

Post by Matt_Celta »

It's a very strange flute!
I wonder how are the keys for
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Stethoscope? Or speculum?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I won the other flute that he was offering, it is a early French flute made by THIBOUVILLE Pere & Fils Paris, with those classy creasent key plates, should be a fun restoration. As Glinjack would say "firewood!" :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=021
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon