New CD from Matt Molloy and John Cary

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

You're right, I haven't, but then, I'm not especially interested in (but not unappreciative or disliking of) banjo. I might well share your taste and love it, though I can't imagine a solo banjo album making it into any top 10 of mine, if I bothered doing such lists. Anyway, I was being (rather obviously, I thought) totally flippant, following on from previous posts. (Not flippant about Hanrahan - best plectrum technique I've ever heard - I love his contribution to the old Stockton's Wing albums - what has happened to those lads? Roche, Lennon and K Hanrahan were all stunning - better than many who have made bigger names for themselves!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cocusflute

Banjos? We don't need no steenkin' banjos...except Angela's

Post by cocusflute »

Some people are sitting at a table arguing in a crowded pub.
On of them loudly says, for the entire pub to hear,
"All banjo players are morons."
A hush falls over the pub.
A man in the back stands up and says,
"I resent that remark."
"Oh, I'm sorry," the first man says,
"Are you an banjo player?"
"No," he says, "I'm a moron."
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

no that's not true.
i didn't say "i resent that remark"
i said "i resemble that remark"
get it right will ya?
rh

Post by rh »

IIRC it was Kevin Burke who said of banjo players: "When they're great, they're good."

n.b.: i pick a bit of the stringéd bodhran myself, and i'm partial to Carty's plectrology on both tenor banjo and tenor guitar.
there is no end to the walking
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

jem, I don't actually have a top ten list; I was just looking for a handy way of conveying how good I think Carty's banjo album is. (The new banjo album, I will If I Can -- I've never heard the old one.) I honestly can't think of four new ITM albums from the last 7 years I like better than it, so top ten was a safe choice that allowed for some forgetfulness.

I don't have any special love of banjos -- fiddle and flute is more my thing. But I do have a great love of tasteful ITM melodic and rhythmic variation, and Carty's album has it in spades. And the great thing is, because it is banjo (or occasionally tenor guitar) with minimal accompaniment, it is really easy to hear every single note he plays. It's like an audio textbook which is massively fun to listen to.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlambert »

I just got my copy today. For my money the best track is:

The Hare In The Heather Set: Fred Finn's/Tom Steele's/The Hare In The Heather

For some reason they call the Morning Dew the Hare in the Heather. There's such great flute playing and variation here. It's very cool that the CD came autographed.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

dlambert wrote:I just got my copy today. For my money the best track is:

The Hare In The Heather Set: Fred Finn's/Tom Steele's/The Hare In The Heather

For some reason they call the Morning Dew the Hare in the Heather. There's such great flute playing and variation here. It's very cool that the CD came autographed.
Matt Molloy called The Morning Dew "The Hare in the Heather" on The Heathery Breeze too. I guess it's just his name for it.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Got my copy, great playing as to be expected. One point in the spirit of constructive feedback is that at least 11 tunes on the album (by my count) are tunes that Matt has already recorded in the past ( some several times).

A musician with his vast knowledge of tunes, why keep going back to the same tunes? I can see being nostalgic about a couple tunes maybe, but 11?

I for one would've loved to have heard additional tunes he never recorded.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

How much is the CD in deflated American Dollars? :-?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:How much is the CD in deflated American Dollars? :-?
$30.73 with shipping (not counting any customs duty, if any). And going up.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:
Jon C. wrote:How much is the CD in deflated American Dollars? :-?
$30.73 with shipping (not counting any customs duty, if any). And going up.

Kevin Krell
Thanks for the info, Kevin.
Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I received my copy very swiftly 4 or 5 days after paying for it via the Carty website - excellent service from Maureen Carty. This will probably shock some of you, but I haven't listened to it yet! Two reasons - one being fairly simply a lack of time to pay proper attention, the other being that it is really a Christmas presie and so I should really put it away until due time and not cheat!!!! Self-control or what?

Incidentally, I'm also expecting to get Molloy's collaboration CD with the West Ocean Quartet "The Guiding Moon" for Christmas. Anyone heard that and got comments?

Re: Hare in the Heather - Below are the entries in The Fiddler's Companion - note that there don't seem to be any early sources for this tune. Kerr's Merry Melodies seems to be the oldest. Interesting that Andrew Kuntz considers it to be the same melody as Morrison's Jig - I see where he's coming from on that. I assume (correction from any Gaelic speakers, please?) that the title given by Breathnach in Ceol Rince 1 (#198), Giorria sa bhFraoch, translates as "The Hare in the Heather", though both English titles are given in the index. It was this version that I first learned before ever hearing a recording of the tune, so I too call it The Hare in the Heather quite independently of MM.

HARE AMANG THE HEATHER, THE. AKA - “Hare Among the Heather,” “Hare in the Heather,” “Morning Dew [1].” Scottish, Reel. E Minor (Gatherer): E Dorian (Kerr). Standard. AABBCC. Familiar to Irish musicians as the popular session reel “Morning Dew.” Gatherer (Musical Museum), 1987; pg. 13. Kerr (Merry Melodies), vol. 4; No. 132, pg. 16 (appears as “The Hare Among the Heather”).

MORNING DEW [1], THE (). AKA and see “The Hare Amang the Heather,” "The Hare in the Heather." Irish, Reel. E Dorian (Em). Standard tuning. ABC (Breathnach, Miller, O’Malley): AABC (Mallinson, Taylor): AA’BC (Feldman & O’Doherty): ABCC (Brody): AABBCC (McNulty). Part of the tune was used by Chieftains piper Paddy Moloney for his first film score, Ireland Moving. O’Malley’s version starts with the part that usually appears as the 3rd part in most versions. See also “Morrison’s Jig” for a related jig setting of the melody. Sources for notated versions: piper Maitiu Mac Tighearnain (Ireland) [Breathnach]; Chieftains (Ireland) [Brody]; fiddlers Francie and Mickey Byrne (County Donegal) [Feldman & O’Doherty]; New York fiddler John McGrath (1900-1955, originally from County Mayo) [O’Malley]. Breathnach (CRÉ I), 1963; No. 198, pg. 77. Brody (Fiddler’s Fakebook), 1983; pg. 196. Bulmer & Sharpley (Music from Ireland), 1974, vol. 1, No. 21. Feldman & O’Doherty (The Northern Fiddler), 1979; pg. 166. Jordan (Whistle and Sing), 1975; 38. Lyth (Bowing Styles in Irish Fiddle Playing, vol. 1), 1981; 31, 32. Mallinson (Essential), 1995; No. 54, pg. 24. McNulty (Dance Music of Ireland), 1965; pg. 12. Miller & Perron (Irish Traditional Fiddle Music), 1977; vol. 1, No. 37. Miller & Perron (Irish Traditional Fiddle Music), 2nd Edition, 2006; pg. 89. O’Malley (Luke O’Malley’s Collection of Irish Music, vol. 1), 1976; No. 11, pg. 6. Peoples (Fifty Irish Fiddle Tunes), 1986; 16. Taylor (Through the Half-Door), 1992; No. 12, pg. 10.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Kevflute

Matt Molloy and John Carty CD

Post by Kevflute »

Have been listening to the new Molloy and Carty album for the past week and find it refreshing to hear good old tunes being played with real heart and spirit.
Matt Molloy is still setting the standards in Flute music after 30 years recording and playing.
As for John Carty he has music flowing through every pore in his body.
This is an honest and heartfelt recording of tunes that both players love to play. I know Matt has recorded some of the tunes before but he has reinterpreted some and quite literally breathed new life into others.
They have managed to capture the spark and spontaneity that can be such an elusive thing in Irish music recordings.
In an era where technology allows us to have the "perfect" recording we can often lose sight of the music itself and get hung up on silly little things that really have no bearing on the actual music.
The decision to record in a live setting was I imagine a tough one but a good one non the less as it brings out the true musicianship in Molloy,Carty and of course McGlynn.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

I have recently received this CD and am very pleased with it. I’ve listened to it a few times over and am still letting it soak. Acquiring the full appreciation.

At this stage I’m no too sure if the combination of both players works quite as well as I expected. They are both EXCEPTIONAL players with massive musicality.I wonder if I will like it as much as John Carty’s solo fiddle CD’s. I have his ‘At it again’ CD and its defiantly one of my very favourites. It might be that his brilliant very tasteful fiddle playing works best solo. Now I’ll say a bold thing! At this stage I think the playing of John and brother James, on At it again, might work better. Does James somehow give John more room? I don’t know. I’m thinking it’s when John is solo that his best variations and touches are added and can be fully appreciated. Either way it’s still a VERY enjoyable album.

Kevin