I'm stupid can you help?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbfluter

I'm stupid can you help?

Post by sbfluter »

Are Sheehan's Reel and The Peeler's Jacket the same tune? They sound quite the same to me, just with slightly different notes.

I know I'm asking a stupid question and that I'm musically incompetent. You don't have to tell me that, please. But I really am asking.

If they aren't the same, does it count has learning two tunes or one if you learn them both?

I'm kidding on that last question.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: I'm stupid can you help?

Post by Bloomfield »

sbfluter wrote:Are Sheehan's Reel and The Peeler's Jacket the same tune? They sound quite the same to me, just with slightly different notes.

I know I'm asking a stupid question and that I'm musically incompetent. You don't have to tell me that, please. But I really am asking.

If they aren't the same, does it count has learning two tunes or one if you learn them both?

I'm kidding on that last question.
When you say Peeler's Jacket, do you mean Gilbert Clancy's (aka the Flannel Jacket)? Or Emminence Breakdown, Paddy on the Railroad, or the Merry Blacksmith? And by Sheehan's, do you mean the Black-Eyed Sailor (aka Wellington's)? Point is, names are really unreliable. Anyone would have to hear them to tell which tunes you mean and how closely they are related. Both Gmajor reels, too.

To just take a wild stab, I'd say the similarity ends after the first bar, and no, they're not the same tune. But YMMV.
/Bloomfield
cocusflute

Similar tunes

Post by cocusflute »

It's been suggested that when tunes seem similar to you, you should play them together, in the same medley, in an effort to keep them straight. As in The Copper Plate and The Old Copper Plate.
Last edited by cocusflute on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

I'd be guessing that you mean The Peeler's Jacket as in the June McCormack tutorial book. Sheehan's?? But as noted above, there are loads of tunes that share common names and loads of tunes that have multiple names according to which part of the country/ world you are in.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

still no help. guess that makes six of us stupid fluteplayers now.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I look them up on The Session (you know that one, you're often there)
So then I get all the alternative names for the tune

Then I look at the sheetmusic (gasp!)
And I see that they are similar, but different, tunes

According to that one source, anyway.

That's why I don't bother to learn tune names, for the most part.

Plus, I'm olde, and the names just don't stick with me.

M

8)
skh

Post by skh »

sbfluter:

Maybe you could post (in abc, dots, or sound file) the tunes in the versions you know them?
Shut up and play.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Sheehan's and the Peeler's Jacket are not the same tune but distinctly different members of the same tune family. At the same time there are also two common yet distinctly not the same versions of Sheehans going around.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I can see/hear that the tunes are not the same, but they do indeed sound quite similar. If I was a guitar player they might be exactly the same to me. But I'm not a guitar player so I'm not completely sure about that.
~ Diane
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Just to summarise the two tunes I have given each an unrepeated once over and put them here

I sort of know what you're at but I am not quite sure what are getting at with your 'same tune ' line of questioning.
Last edited by Cayden on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Diane, just for the record.

I don't think you are stupid.

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Well, I had been learning Peeler's Jacket from June's book, but every time I went to play it myself I kept launching into something completely different. So I searched through the book of tunes that our session members used to use and found the other one. It turns out I kept getting into the second part of Sheehan's, sort of, since I don't really know that tune.

So then I kind of wondered if maybe they were the same tune but different names, or different tunes completely. Just in case someone at the session asks me what tunes do I know I didn't want to commit a sin and play the wrong one or something or say something stupid. But I also kind of starting wondering how different does a tune have to be before it's a different tune, you know, since the tune names are kind of meaningless sometimes.
~ Diane
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Laban wrote:Just to summarise the two tunes I have given each an unrepeated once over and put them here

I sort of know what you're at but I am not quite sure what are getting at with your 'same tune ' line of questioning.
Thanks, Peter. For those who want the dots, the Peeler's Jacket and Sheehan's are both in O'Neill's (Nos. 1184 and 1213, respectively, in "the 1850"), too.

Could be that what sbfluter meant about "same tune" was that from a strictly backup-playing standpoint, both tunes seem to follow similar chord-suggestive patterns. They're close, but I couldn't agree that they're identical, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Peter Laban wrote:Just to summarise the two tunes I have given each an unrepeated once over and put them here
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh......... Nice.

Like I said,
"Then I look at the sheetmusic (gasp!)
And I see that they are similar, but different, tunes"

:party: