crystal flutes? what do you think?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
twistedlettuce

crystal flutes? what do you think?

Post by twistedlettuce »

I'm a new convert to celtic music. A lead jazz guitarist for about 8 years (im 20 now) I've recently fallen in love with tinwhistle/flute. I've been learning pretty quickly on my home-tweaked clarke basic ( I love it, only 8 dollars and it sounds like a god)

My question is, I've been having a lot of trouble with the hall crystal flute and its high breath requirements. Its probably a beginning embouchre problem but im not sure. Are there any experienced flute players who think the crystal flutes are viable instruments? or is this going to limit my learning? I love its tone when i can get it but im worried about getting discouraged.

-would love to hear clips from anyone experienced on a crystal flute -
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I have a Hall crystal flute.

It's not particularly easy to play, even when you are used to playing several different kinds of flutes.

I consider these more a musical toy than a real instrument.

If you want to know what it sounds like, there is a clip here. Be warned, this is not particularly good.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
twistedlettuce

Post by twistedlettuce »

thanks... I kinda figured out now you can get good soft tone out of it but not much else. oddly, instead of being discouraging its fun trying to get good tone out of a challenging flute. Unfortunately, all the rentals at my local music shops are the 21 key or whatever models... guess I'll learn the basics on this then switch to a wooden 6 hole + chromatic keys flute once i can afford one... a hamilton someday? :-)

hah... i do love how celticy (not a word) the low rolls sound on it. and it makes the zelda theme wonderful....
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

peeplj wrote:I have a Hall crystal flute.

It's not particularly easy to play, even when you are used to playing several different kinds of flutes.

I consider these more a musical toy than a real instrument.

If you want to know what it sounds like, there is a clip here. Be warned, this is not particularly good.

--James
I thought the sound clip sounded rather nice!!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i like my hall crystal flute in D. i'm an amateur and i'm not playing itm. i've played my flute at funerals and in church. folks compliment me. i can't play fast songs on it. i've only played my crystal flute, a pvc that i made myself, and a silver flute so i don't have a wide range or depth of experience. i've dropped it from a height of 6 feet (2 meters) onto a hardwood floor and nothing happened to it.

i find the look and the sound captivating.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

peeplj, the tone on your clip didn't sound like a toy at all.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

The glass tubing used for the Crystal flutes is fairly thin, and in order to get a more-or-less adequate thickness for an embouchure hole, the edge of the embouchure hole is rolled upward, if I recall correctly. I haven't had any trouble playing the Crystal flutes, but I think that the embouchure required is different than that used for the standard flute embouchure, where the blowing edge slopes down into the bore of the flute.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

What Doug said....(I have a complete set)

There was a clip some time back of a young Japanese lady who did remarkable things w/ a Crystal flute....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I wouldn't be caught dead in a pub with one; too "Keltic" for me.

Though as Rhonda Larsen writes in the following link, she went to a session in Doolin with hers, and apparently her sessionmates thought it was pretty cool. And Rhonda Larsen makes a pretty good living doing what she does .... a lot better living than I do with my pathetic little wooden flute! :lol:

http://www.rhondalarson.com/ireland.htm
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yah. But can you say "sponsorship" (Rhonda Larsen is on their website)?

Rhonda studied with Sir James for a bit (among others) and can play the cr*p out of a toothpick (translation: she's bloody good and a toothpick would be simple and silly but maybe difficult to play). So she can show up with a toothpick and no one is going to say a word because she's got better chops than 99% of anyone there.
But most of us show up to a session with a toothpick and we'll get snickered at.
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

I had one once. Quite nice tone, though it was before I really started out on playing flute and I don't know what it's capable of.

It rolled from a table, and cracked into thousand pieces on a carpet. The table was around 50cm high.

Nice toy, but I won't buy one again.