I'm a bad man...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I'm a bad man...

Post by scheky »

I swore when I decided to switch from whistle to flute that I'd be strong. I had my wonderful Seery Pratten to play and I swore flute monogamy.

Then it happened, that EVIL M&E 6 key had to come up for sale. I knew I'd want keys eventually, so I took the plunge. After all, it was a bargain. Oh whoa is me....pity me.

Heck, I'm still working on long tones for 1/2 my practice time and I buy a flute with keys? I feel cheap.

Just thought I'd share, and yes...I love the new flute. It's actually a bit easier of a blower than the Seery in general and will likely become my main flute, moreso as I get used to using keys.

So, how many other flute sluts are out there? Is FLOAH as bad as WHOA?
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Flutes and whistles are all flutes, aren't they? Same thing, same disease, but the cost usually means you have less of the expensive flutes and more of the cheap ones.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

I started with a Seery as well. It was a good flute, and I certainly hadn't out grown it, but I desired the warm caress of natural materials, thus I bought a blackwood flute from a fine maker. I've had it for a while and am now feeling the itch to try something new, having not truly bonded with this flute. All this time, I've been keeping a Miller bamboo flute on the side (excellent flute, by the way). So I guess I'm a bit promiscuous.

:)
Cork
antispam: No

Re: I'm a bad man...

Post by Cork »

scheky wrote:I swore when I decided to switch from whistle to flute that I'd be strong. I had my wonderful Seery Pratten to play and I swore flute monogamy....
Honestly, I don't understand what this flute monogamy thing is all about. Sure, of all of my flutes, I do have my "regular" flutes, the ones I keep at hand, but that's just how it worked out, nothing to do with monogamy. Moreover, I think a player does well to experience a number of flutes, if possible, to get a real world feel for just what they do like, and not like, for there are many choices.
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

Yes, and playing different flutes can teach you much about embouchure.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Il Friscaletto wrote:Yes, and playing different flutes can teach you much about embouchure.
That has been my experience as well.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

I tend to agree. I guess monogamists worry about succumbing to Elizabeth Taylor's approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Taylor#Marriages
scheky

Post by scheky »

I've certainly noticed the embouchure thing. Even though the M&E blows easier on the lower octave, it's a whole other animal to get it blowing the second octave. A little playing around, and I can get the second clear and into the third, but it's a completely different feeling than I'm used to from the Seery.

Oh well, at my early stage, I guess it's good to exercise the muscles.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Guinness wrote:I tend to agree. I guess monogamists worry about succumbing to Elizabeth Taylor's approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Taylor#Marriages
Well, at some point, rather you have one flute or ten, you have to sit down and learn to play the thing.

If you can't play flute with one flute, you probably can't play flute with a different flute either. (assuming the flute meets certain minimum standards such that is is actually playable, anyway)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey James,

Are you talkin about me?!!! :D

I personally will never describe myself as a "Flute Slut". I won't bed down (nor blow) just any flute. :o But admittedly everytime I see a good flute go up for sale, I reach for my wallet. That and I get the shakes real bad if I don't have a new or different flute coming every couple of weeks! :lol:

I LIKE WOODEN FLUTES! I like playing and getting to know new and different flutes. I feel when it comes to musical ability I got shortchanged. But, I enjoy it and intend to spend the rest of my life playing wooden flutes.

I used to think all of the break-throughs in my abilities came from trying different flutes. But perhaps it was just all the gymnastics involved with switching from flute to flute. Plus with only playing one flute, I tend to get in a rut. I learn how that flute plays best and typically play it only that way. Where as with a new flute, you just keep trying different things till you find what suits that flute best. This is all good FUN! :party:

All the Best!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

heh. I've always sworn by the M&E. I have a 5-key (lefty) with a Cocobolo heajoint which has been my main flute for some years. I've tried McGee, Hamilton, Burns and Cochran, they were all lovely flutes, but I've loved the simplicity, temprament and nuances of the M&E. It's probably not the best flute, but it fit me.

Now I mostly play.........
Seery.

I'm lazy. The Seery takes a bit more air, but it's easy to play in tune. It sounds alright, and it projects.
I just play with my band now. When I get more serious about my fluting, I think I'll buy a Cochran.

Strange stuff this band bussiness. We're getting more and more success. We make pretty good money, bigger and bigger gigs all the time. But these days I don't play at all by myself. I don't play for myself.
If anyone's in Sweden: This weekend at Rinkesta Castle, next weekend at River-fest in Eskilstuna.
http://www.eskilstuna.nu/Turism-Eskilst ... 1-augusti/
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

sbhikes wrote:Flutes and whistles are all flutes, aren't they? Same thing, same disease, but the cost usually means you have less of the expensive flutes and more of the cheap ones.
If one has the money free, you don't lose it by buying
an expensive flute (if you know wht you're doing).
You can get the money back again, and more, sometimes.
The day you receive a new Olwell, it will be worth
more than you paid for it, and this trend seems
to definitely continue.

You tend to lose money more on cheap flutes.
So there's something to be said for buying
very good flutes, if you can--it isn't like
food or a vacation, where the money is gone.
It's just money in a different form. The cheap ones
are hard to sell and you tend to lose more money.
It's economical to buy (and sell again) dear.

The good flutes are amazing, and they make
you better, and you learn a lot from them.
The money spent on several cheap ones can
purchase one or two good ones. Then, if needs be,
you sell one and try another.

I say, go for good ones, if you can.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

peeplj wrote:
If you can't play flute with one flute, you probably can't play flute with a different flute either. (assuming the flute meets certain minimum standards such that is is actually playable, anyway)

--James
Oh, boy, how I second that emotion. Image
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
scheky

Post by scheky »

It's been a few disheartening days where it looked like I lost all the progress I've made in getting consistent tone from it.

Today, I'd say I'm around 80% as consistent as I am on the Seery...honestly, I'm seeing so much each day that I'm now gaining hope again. I also think I've fixed some problems with my embouchure. I've even started to figure out how to get the growl I've been seeking.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

So does the new embouchure help you play the Seery?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."