Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

talasiga wrote:I have had an opportunity to listen to a lot of clips at p.1 in the Posting Clips topic. I like your playing of "Walls of Liscarrol ". Whether its deliberate or not, you have a very distinctive sense of rhythm and a personable voicing in your playing which is nice. I felt the spirit of that piece and was moved.
Are you referring to mine? If so, thank you very much :)
William Bajzek
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbhikes »

Can you stand any more awful beginner stuff?

Hag's Purse
Lonesome Jig
Planxty George Brabazon
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

monkey587 wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Brendan, the second jig is called "I shall wean her", John Williams' rendition of this beautiful jig in his CD 'Steam' is touching. Thanks for posting this one. I find stuff to work with in it.
I've always heard it called "I ne'er shall wean her"
That's right William. I think she'd notice the difference :lol:
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

The first tune here I learned straight out of the O'Neil's book (Up and Down Again). The second (Elizabeth Kelly's Fancy) I got from "A Few Tunes" by John Skelton. I've never hear the former tune recorded anywhere. I added some countermelody in the first tune because it sounded so naked without it...what do you folks think? The best players can play the simplest melodies fully but I'm not there yet.

http://www.box.net/shared/c7k91omtb1

p.s. I'm also playing the guitar

Jeff
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

monkey587 wrote:
talasiga wrote:I have had an opportunity to listen to a lot of clips at p.1 in the Posting Clips topic. I like your playing of "Walls of Liscarrol ". Whether its deliberate or not, you have a very distinctive sense of rhythm and a personable voicing in your playing which is nice. I felt the spirit of that piece and was moved.
Are you referring to mine? If so, thank you very much :)
Yes I am referring to you. That's why my post began with "Dear monkey587".
Of course you can't see that can you? I can't either and yet I do recall typing that in. I must have been suffering fatigue and accidentally deleted it. Sorry about that. I will edit my post.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I mostly play airs and marches, kinda new to the uber fast jig and reel thing. Here's my first recorded attempt, submitted for critique and suggestions.

http://www.box.net/shared/qiipigltvu
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
rh

Post by rh »

i've had some setbacks with some nagging tendinitis in my right arm this week, but i dug out my Hoza F and was able to get some tunes on it without discomfort. it hasn't been played in a while so it's kind of dry sounding, and i'm finding the embouchure kind of hit and miss... but i'm having some fun with it.
http://jabinet.net/audio/mtn1f7807.mp3
http://jabinet.net/audio/batt1f.mp3
there is no end to the walking
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've finally got around to it! Groan or cheer accordingly!!!! (Cocusflute???)
I'm afraid these aren't current, recent recordings - I did them about a year ago, but only just uploaded them. I think my tone and intonation have both improved in recent months compared to these recordings, but I haven't time to do more just now. These are all tunes that I wrote after coming back from Hammy's Cruinniú na bhFliúit - the hornpipe was specifically a result of Harry Bradley's workshop and his advice re: improving low D by a stepped, slurred drops exercise and strengthening attack on low E by first hitting and sliding off low D. Funny where a tune can come from! After that I kinda had to do a tune for each of the tutors and Hammy.... Paul McGrattan talked a lot about polkas, so.... I haven't posted the tune I wrote with Jean-Michel in mind as I haven't got a good enough recording of it. Maybe later. These are all played on my (original) R&R.

http://www.box.net/shared/ep6yfb34x6 - for Harry
http://www.box.net/shared/v4agziyi0g - for Paul
http://www.box.net/shared/prq5ugqgkv - for Hammy
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

I am really enjoying listening to the clips when I get time.

I had this answer from the box help team regarding making the clips play direct from the web browser rather than having to play them from the box page.

>>>>>>>It sounds you might benefit from creating 'Direct Links' to files. To do this, you must be either an 'Individual' or 'Business' member. Then you will be able to right-click on any file or folder and select 'Get public link.' The second link will be a direct link to the audio file, rather than a link to a Box.net page featuring the file.<<<<<<<<<

So it seems I need to upgrade to a subscription membership to get the file to play direct?
Anyone like to confirm this?
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

You can subscribe to be an individual member, which is free for a huge amount of memory to use (1Gb I think). When you upload mp3 files, make sure the file extension is mp3 and not MP3 (i.e. small letters). That way any direct link you create will result in the file being played directly, instead of a window opening asking to download the file.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I was listening to my iPod at work yesterday and I heard this great flute tune. I went to see what it was and it was something I downloaded from this thread called "unnamed reel" and the artist name is "chiff". Yeah, thanks for the information!

I wish I knew who it was now, but if you recognize yourself, you'll know it was you! Awesome! And Thank you!
~Diane

gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Thanks for that Hans. I've checked my account details and it looks like I was already a free subscription Individual member with the 1Gb limit you mention. Must be something else stopping the direct playing of files I think? I'll try again some time.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Diane,
did you find out who posted the unnamed reel? I have one that I posted as unnamed, but I doubt it's the one you are talking about. Check page 10 of this thread and see if the reel I have posted at box.net is the one you're talking about.
Arbo
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I'm sorry, I'm Not Irish, it wasn't yours. I've combed this thread and can't find it again. Whoever it was, put the actual title as "unnamed reel" and the artist name as "chiff." They've probably identified it and changed their post or something, or maybe I found it in another topic. Alas.

But yours are very good as well. I believe I've got a few of them in my iPod, too.
~Diane

ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks,
well, now I'm curious as well....
Arbo