Renaissance wax for the ouside finish?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Renaissance wax for the ouside finish?

Post by CranberryDog »

I just received my Casey Firth & Pond keyless Irish flute; I am unworthy.

Has anyone tried renaissance wax for the outside finish?

BTW, I am using almond oil with vitamin E for the bore. Thank you in advance.
coupedefleur
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by coupedefleur »

I haven't tried it, but it should work well, since it's a museum-quality wax. That's actually a very good idea!
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hoovorff »

I know that Rod Cameron recommends rubbing a piece of carnuba wax on the outside of his traversos, and then polishing it up with a very soft cloth. It's supposed to help the instrument keep its original "shine".

Jeanie
roj
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Post by roj »

I just bought some through Amazon. I think it's a most incredible substance. I used it on delrin and wood, and both looked and felt wonderful. And it makes the fiddle look like a million bucks. I'd keep it out of the reach of the kids though. It smells an awful lot like airplane glue, and at the same time there is something irresistible about it.
Here's a question. Has anyone ever tried this as a bore oil?
Reading through R's literature, it seems to have many of the desirable qualities of other bore oils. It goes on easily in very thin coats, and shines to beat the band. Seems like the flute vibes would just dance on it. It would be a lot less messy than oil, and longer lasting. It doesn't glom up and removes easily with white spirit. It is pretty much impervious to moisture. The seven ounce can looks like it will last for quite some time. Where is the down side?
Cork

Re: Renaissance wax for the ouside finish?

Post by Cork »

CranberryDog wrote:...Has anyone tried renaissance wax for the outside finish?

BTW, I am using almond oil with vitamin E for the bore. Thank you in advance.
Although almond oil with a bit of vitamin E has been recommended, for both the inside and the outside of a wood flute I use artist grade linseed oil, which can be found at most any art supply store. It costs considerably less than commercial woodwind oil, works at least as well, and is really easy to use, just wipe off any excess.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

roj wrote:I just bought some through Amazon. I think it's a most incredible substance. I used it on delrin and wood, and both looked and felt wonderful. And it makes the fiddle look like a million bucks. I'd keep it out of the reach of the kids though. It smells an awful lot like airplane glue, and at the same time there is something irresistible about it.
Here's a question. Has anyone ever tried this as a bore oil?
Reading through R's literature, it seems to have many of the desirable qualities of other bore oils. It goes on easily in very thin coats, and shines to beat the band. Seems like the flute vibes would just dance on it. It would be a lot less messy than oil, and longer lasting. It doesn't glom up and removes easily with white spirit. It is pretty much impervious to moisture. The seven ounce can looks like it will last for quite some time. Where is the down side?
I used it on my balckwood pipes upon recommendation of my Pipe Major. I used it for years on the outside of my pipes. No downside. Never tried it on the bores. Many of my piper friends used it. No problems.