bottom c on a reviol

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kev899
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

bottom c on a reviol

Post by kev899 »

Hi guys
Anyone out there tell me what the c keys are like on a reviol? I'm thinking about ordering an 8keyed off him or else ormiston,the reason I'm thinking ormiston is coz he makes a pratten,but not sure does reviol.Played Niall Keegan's flute the other day,itz a nice flute.....
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

The Reviol is a large-holed large-bore Rudall-inspired design IIRC. The low C#/C keys are like the ones on Boehm flutes and play just like them. Can't say much about the sound of the low notes since I tested it only once in a loud pub when I met Maurice last fall, and my own eight-keyed Reviol is still in the post...I'll keep you updated. ;)

Maybe you'll want to ask tommyk here on the board. He also has a Reviol with the low keys fitted.
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Aodhan »

Gabriel wrote:The Reviol is a large-holed large-bore Rudall-inspired design IIRC. The low C#/C keys are like the ones on Boehm flutes and play just like them. Can't say much about the sound of the low notes since I tested it only once in a loud pub when I met Maurice last fall, and my own eight-keyed Reviol is still in the post...I'll keep you updated. ;)

Maybe you'll want to ask tommyk here on the board. He also has a Reviol with the low keys fitted.
Yep, and if you look at Maurice's site, the picture of the black flute with the C and D feet (The "Styx" model I think it's billed), that is pictures of tommyk's flute, which he is mightily pleased with.

John
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

I have my Reviol now.

My teacher says it looks more prattenish than rudallish, the bore is VERY large, so it's probably more Pratten-inspired. We compared his Aebi Rudall and Aebi Pratten to my flute, and the bore diameter at the foot joint tenon of the Aebi Rudall is considerably smaller than on the Pratten and my flute. The sound he gets out of it is simply...huge. Great volume and presence and very barking, if wanted. The lower end on my flute feels more like on the Aebi Rudall. Not as easy as on the Pratten which even I can let bark angrily. ;)

The low Eb/C#/C keys really play like on a high-quality Boehm. No difference there, very good and direct action.

Hope that helps!