Rudall and Rose for sale on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mmccabe3

Rudall and Rose for sale on ebay

Post by mmccabe3 »

I'm selling (reluctantly) an original Rudall and Rose cocus wood flute on e-bay. If you are interested, type Rudall and Rose into the ebay search and you will be taken to the listing.
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Aodhan »

http://tinyurl.com/23dqy7

I'm assuming that's the one...
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

hmm...it seems to have issues, warped? bottom keys? Head?

anyway good luck to anyone who wins it. I don't plan on bidding.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

can't say as i've ever seen a warped cocus flute. But i suppose anythign is possible.

The head is not a patent head (and shouldn't be....it's too early in the serial numbers)

I'd date it ~1827-30

The silver crown without embossing is on another Rudall i've seen (a boxwood flute owned by jimmy noonan), so it's not unprecedented. This one however seems to have the ivory stem tip broken off (meaning the screw mechanism for the cork is ivory....again, not unprecedented for this period.)

The only thing to be wary of would be how well the pewter Eb seals. Frank Claudy's rudall is like this and has no issues because he keeps it well oiled. I have one that doesn't require the oil and seals just fine. Just noisy.

It's of the Large-medium hole variety, so the tuning is likely flat on the D because the foot joints were just a tad longer in the earlier Rudall days.

The key cups are flat, which is nice because it's so much easier to repad.

I do like that the crown and foot cover match. Rudall did this sometimes and when it's on the foot it was always a metal crown, so good to know it matches.

i will not be bidding.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

David Migoya wrote:can't say as i've ever seen a warped cocus flute. But i suppose anythign is possible.

The head is not a patent head (and shouldn't be....it's too early in the serial numbers)

I'd date it ~1827-30

The silver crown without embossing is on another Rudall i've seen (a boxwood flute owned by jimmy noonan), so it's not unprecedented. This one however seems to have the ivory stem tip broken off (meaning the screw mechanism for the cork is ivory....again, not unprecedented for this period.)

The only thing to be wary of would be how well the pewter Eb seals. Frank Claudy's rudall is like this and has no issues because he keeps it well oiled. I have one that doesn't require the oil and seals just fine. Just noisy.

It's of the Large-medium hole variety, so the tuning is likely flat on the D because the foot joints were just a tad longer in the earlier Rudall days.

The key cups are flat, which is nice because it's so much easier to repad.

I do like that the crown and foot cover match. Rudall did this sometimes and when it's on the foot it was always a metal crown, so good to know it matches.

i will not be bidding.
I doubt that the flute is warped, it looks like the tenons are just loose.
I have seen a couple of Wylde flutes with the matching foot and crown in silver, I guess it was vogue back then. To bad the head has been "repaired" with the huge pins... I agree that the foot is probably a tad flat, but it looks like a sweet flute.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I think the warped appearance is due to photographic issues. Look at the other photos of the flute disassembled in its case and in various close-ups. They all appear warped, but if you assembled those warps you wouldn't get the same warp you see in the main photo. So I submit than none of the photos is a true gauge of any real-life warpage.
eilam

Post by eilam »

my R&R is not a patent head, and has a beautiful matching cap and foot ring in fluted silver.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

eilam wrote:my R&R is not a patent head, and has a beautiful matching cap and foot ring in fluted silver.
Yours is the best! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

johnkerr wrote:...real-life warpage.
All I could picture was a website about Iraq... :oops:

Jennie