End blown head for conical bore flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
norseman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

End blown head for conical bore flutes?

Post by norseman »

I've still been experimenting off and on with piper hold, and it seems more natural to do this on the low whistle than the flute because it's centered in front of the body.

Has anyone ever tried making an end blown head like on a quena or quenacho for keyless conical bore flutes? I'm curious what it would sound like. Would it sound close to the same flute with the normal transverse head, or would it just basically sound like an expensive quenacho with better intonation? :-)

Thanks,
Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

This is a little different: actually a transverse head made to fit a vertically oriented flute:
http://www.drelinger.com/brochure/uprit ... rochureTop
(Page 5 has a picture of Drelinger's modern version.)

And then there's the (rare) Eklute, which turns the flute into a whistle, one of which Doc Jones has for sale.
http://www.irishflutestore.com/POFlutes.html

And here's something more along the lines you're asking about:
http://www.shakuhachi.com/Q-Models-Headjoint.html
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Originally I was thinking this, but it also has a cylindrical body and not a conical bore.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
norseman

Post by norseman »

I only mention conical bore flutes since they're the most often used in ITM. Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to have an end blown flute that's similar in tonal characteristics to our transverse conical bore simple system flutes used in ITM.

I guess my idea wasn't original. The older I get, the more I wonder if I've ever had an original thought. :-)
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

norseman wrote:I guess my idea wasn't original. The older I get, the more I wonder if I've ever had an original thought. :-)
Why, I wrote that very thought in my journal when I was a junior in high school back in '77. :wink:

Jennie
Cork

Post by Cork »

WOW!!

My having gone to one of the above links, I notice that there is a Brand X headjoint, which appears to turn a flute to the vertical, but the $4K tag is exciting, too.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Cork wrote:WOW!!

My having gone to one of the above links, I notice that there is a Brand X headjoint, which appears to turn a flute to the vertical, but the $4K tag is exciting, too.
The whistle head from tony dixon flute/whistle combos is easily adapted and a lot cheaper ...it's the best part of the combo...throw away the rest....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
norseman

Post by norseman »

I'm aware of the whistle heads that are available, but I was referring to a head that still uses some type of flute embouchure like with a shakuhachi or quena, but on a traditional conical bore simple system flute. I'm still wondering if that would change the tone so much that it's essentially a new instrument?
Cork

Post by Cork »

Well, it wasn't as though I were interested in a Brand X head for myself. Yet, $4K seems like an awful lot, for a nicely crafted piece of bent tubing.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

This head, but for Ssilver (Boehm) flutes.

http://www.shakuhachi.com/Q-Models-Headjoint.html

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

norseman wrote:I'm aware of the whistle heads that are available, but I was referring to a head that still uses some type of flute embouchure like with a shakuhachi or quena, but on a traditional conical bore simple system flute. I'm still wondering if that would change the tone so much that it's essentially a new instrument?
A shak or quena head would definetly change the tone (no phase matching from the embushure to cork cavity...although you might substitute the oral cavity ????) I've never seen one with a conical bore flute body.....Doug Tipple was interested in exploring that topic a while back......
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cork

Post by Cork »

norseman wrote:I'm aware of the whistle heads that are available, but I was referring to a head that still uses some type of flute embouchure like with a shakuhachi or quena, but on a traditional conical bore simple system flute. I'm still wondering if that would change the tone so much that it's essentially a new instrument?
On the upside here, a conical-bore flute uses a cylindrical-bore head. That said, and, because there is no difficult-to-manufacture taper in a cylindrical-bore head, perhaps a door of manufacturing opportunity could be open to a far greater number of potential manufacturers.

Hmmm...