Hawkes flute on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

Don't know if anyone has looked at this Hawkes and Son flute on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=ADME:

I've not seen the instrument, and don't have any stake in it as either buyer or seller. However, I have played a couple of similar Hawkes flutes of the same vintage, and I bought one off ebay last year. They are awesomely good instruments - responsive, well in tune, and very loud when you want them to be. I doubt you could find a better model of flute for Irish Trad.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by thurlowe »

Yes, I checked this out yesterday. Hope the winner enjoys it! I was wondering, what's up with the claw-like right hand position in the sample photo? Can she play like this, or is this a non-player modeling the flute?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-09-27 12:20, thurlowe wrote:
I was wondering, what's up with the claw-like right hand position in the sample photo? Can she play like this, or is this a non-player modeling the flute?
Umm, you mean left hand, don't you?

I have no idea whether she's a player or not, however aside from the fact that she has her left pinky down, her grip is nearly identical to the one used by Brian Finnegan - Thumb somwhat underneath the flute, Fingers coming nearly vertically down on the holes with the tip of each finger rather than the flat of the pad - and he's certainly no slouch.

Nice looking flute indeed. Damn Cocus....

Loren
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Isn't Matt Molloy's Bb flute a Hawkes?
Cheers,
Aaron
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Yah, the left hand, like I said Image
Good to know that about Brian Finnegan. I'd like to see it in action.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

That, my friends, is one heck of a beautiful flute!

Chris
Grishnakh
Tell us something.: I have played the Irish flute on and off for about 30 years. I used to play in sessions but now I play whistle, flute and harmonica in a band called Waxies Dargle.

Post by Grishnakh »

Yes; the girl playing the flute was only posing for the photo. She's my daughter and yes, she does have a regular boyfriend already.

I am sad to hear from the buyer that the flute has developed two cracks (one in the top cap and one at the top of the head joint) on its journey to the USA.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-10-10 11:27, Grishnakh wrote:

I am sad to hear from the buyer that the flute has developed two cracks (one in the top cap and one at the top of the head joint) on its journey to the USA.
Damn, that sucks.

Loren
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I wonder if the person who received it has the option of reimbursement through the insurance on the grounds that it was damaged during shipping? Establishing that the cracks weren't pre-existing is a matter of taking one's word for it.

I'm not trying to question anyone's integrity here, just wondering if the buyer has any recourse through insurance?

Jef
Grishnakh
Tell us something.: I have played the Irish flute on and off for about 30 years. I used to play in sessions but now I play whistle, flute and harmonica in a band called Waxies Dargle.

Post by Grishnakh »

I did take out shipping insurance for the flute to an amount above the purchase value, but I don't have any way of proving that the cracks weren't pre-existing, other than by swearing on a stack of bibles.
Also, the flute was extremely well packaged, each section in a zip-lock bag, then in the wooden case, then two layers of bubble-wrap, then two layers of strong brown paper, plus loads of parcel tape.
As far as I am aware, the packaging wasn't damaged in transit. The cracks were presumably caused by rapid environmental changes, either during shipment or due to moving from temperate, damp, England to cold, dry, centrally over-heated up-state N.Y.
The buyer advised me that this can happen, (hence the use of zip-lock bags) but it must nevertheless be a disappointment, especially as the flute had gone thus far through its life without any damage.
mshurley

Post by mshurley »

Might have been an unpressurized cargo hold at 30,000 ft that caused the cracks....
TRUTH is Unchangeable! No Matter What is Politically Correct.
U2

Post by U2 »

Can someone explain why pressure in an aircraft would have an adverse affect on wood? Temperature I understand, but pressure? Seems unlikely, but I'm interested.
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Hey U2,

It's all about water management and radical changes in humidity. At high altitudes, the lower the pressure, and the less water the air can hold. that's why you feel dehydrated after long flights. The same thing happens to your flute. Tension in the wood fibers is caused by the rapid and uneven introduction or loss of humidity--and that's what causes most of the cracks.

You can allieviate all of this by sealing your flute in a zip lock and include a dampit or a segment of wet sponge in the case. Then rock and roll.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hmmmm....... in-flight dry air. Had'nt thought of that. Nice one.

Regards, Harry.
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

You bet, Harry. All about the water.

My Olwell blackwood used to love to travel, but my Rudall cocus isn't so keen. And my Seery doesn't care either way. Excuse me, flight attendent...do you have another glass of ice water for Mr. Rudall. He's getting a little brittle.

:smile: