Playing "on the shoulder"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon-M
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jon-M »

Using the Rockstro grip would take care of your pinky problem--you use the right thumb to press against the inner edge of the flute instead of your pinky. You can find out all about it on Terry McGee's site.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

not sure if I agree jon, it depends on your hands if you are able to do this. everybody has a different anatomy, for some it would work and for others it would be a completely different story....

I have become a strong believer to use what works for YOU.

berti
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Jim Troy wrote: having the flute ON the shoulder allows you to have the throat open more , for a better air flow , as with the head up higher , there's less constriction .
I play on the shoulder too. No pain or stress so far. I feel confortable playing this way, it gets my very often erratic tone better.

From a musical point of view, no matter how you grip, posture or blow as long as you are happy with it. I agree that alternative exercise is important. As many others, I can't play as long as I would, but after some days of longer periods playing (weekends, holidays, Fleadhs...) my whole body (and not only my neck) thanks heartedfully some sports activity.

Except swimming. All those chemicals make my nose, lungs and eyes go crazy.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

All other issues aside, if you don't rest the flute on your shoulder, it looks much cooler.
Jim Troy
antispam: No

Post by Jim Troy »

i used to be cool ( 40 years ago ) but i'm resting now .

it's so refreshing to be uncool. such a weight off .
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Ro3b wrote:All other issues aside, if you don't rest the flute on your shoulder, it looks much cooler.
Well... I don't know. Mike McGoldrick looks cool when he does it.

I had a discussion one time with another flute player, he said the piper grip looked cool, I said it didn't :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

If it's good enough for the Koreans to make standard technique of it...

I play off the shoulder, myself.

For now. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I have one flute that I often want to put on my shoulder and sometimes do; not so much with the others.

This particular flute, a keyless Murray, seems to be longer between the embouchure hole and the crown than my others. Something about the difference in length and balance makes it just gravitate toward my shoulder. Weird, but there it is.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Center yourselves grasshoppers, float free from fingery, shouldery, lippy, glottal concerns.... aaah deep breath.... there is only the music... there is no self. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I am but a vessel.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Ro3b wrote:All other issues aside, if you don't rest the flute on your shoulder, it looks much cooler.
Sure? I'm constantly asked by lots of beautiful girls why I hold the flute that way. They all want to try it. Otherwise they'd only pay attention to the piper :lol:
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
psychih

Post by psychih »

Sylvester wrote:
Sure? I'm constantly asked by lots of beautiful girls why I hold the flute that way. They all want to try it. Otherwise they'd only pay attention to the piper :lol:
flute players always strike my fancy. how they hold the flute is besides the point....'tis how they sound that matters :wink:
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I am but a vessel.
If so, I think you may have sprung a leak. See that puddle on the floor next to you every time you play?
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

These days I mostly play the flute inside my head:

Easier with a keyless flute for obvious reasons, but the music sounds good in there regardless.
cocusflute

Vacuous teachings

Post by cocusflute »

Teachers and musicians who argue too much for one position or other do so because they haven't got a lot to say about the music. When you think of all the great players, and how many different ways they hold their instruments, it's obvious that it really doesn't matter much.
Violin teachers generally stress the importance of a straight wrist, a la classical players. But Kevin Burke and James Cullinan, for instance, collapse the wrist when they play, like old-timey fiddlers - except when they go up the neck, or want more vibrato perhaps -- i.e., when they don't want to collapse the wrist.
Catherine McEvoy has been playing with flute on shoulder for about forty years, with no problem. Harry played flute on shoulder for two whole previous lifetimes with no problem. Brad Hurley, aside from not being able to hear other musicians, plays flute in head. But he's got the room.
It really doesn't matter that much.