Tuning slide woes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Liney Bear
antispam: No

Tuning slide woes

Post by Liney Bear »

Hello everyone -

I thought I'd ask for any advice you kind folks might be able to offer. This past weekend, the female end of the tuning slide came loose from the barrel of my keyless Ward flute. It's hard to tell by inspecting the newly vacated end of the barrel exactly what type of adhesive was used to bond the wood to the metal.

I managed to get through my two gigs on Saturday night by using blue-tac to help hold the slide/barrel together but that's obviously a temporary, super ghetto solution. I also noticed that the headjoint and barrel are not in good alignment (ie, "banana head joint-itis") when assembled with the blue-tac in place.

A maker/repairman suggested that I use coarse grain sandpaper on both the inside of the barrel and the outside of the female joint to give them both some "teeth," and then put some 5-minute epoxy in place to affect a permanent repair. I'm a little leery of my own handy skills, however... :oops: I'd hate for my flute to have a permanent case of "banana head joint-its" due to my lack of confident handyman-ship.

Does anyone have a suggestion or agree/disagree with the repairman's diagnosis? Or perhaps suggest a maker/repairman they have used in the past?

Appreciate your thoughts in advance!

Gordon
toddyboy50
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toddyboy50 »

Contact Jon C from the forum here.... he a master maker/repairer and a nice fellow too... I'm sure he will help you out.
cochranflutes@Gmail.com
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Tuning slide woes

Post by Jon C. »

Liney Bear wrote:Hello everyone -

I thought I'd ask for any advice you kind folks might be able to offer. This past weekend, the female end of the tuning slide came loose from the barrel of my keyless Ward flute. It's hard to tell by inspecting the newly vacated end of the barrel exactly what type of adhesive was used to bond the wood to the metal.

I managed to get through my two gigs on Saturday night by using blue-tac to help hold the slide/barrel together but that's obviously a temporary, super ghetto solution. I also noticed that the headjoint and barrel are not in good alignment (ie, "banana head joint-itis") when assembled with the blue-tac in place.

A maker/repairman suggested that I use coarse grain sandpaper on both the inside of the barrel and the outside of the female joint to give them both some "teeth," and then put some 5-minute epoxy in place to affect a permanent repair. I'm a little leery of my own handy skills, however... :oops: I'd hate for my flute to have a permanent case of "banana head joint-its" due to my lack of confident handyman-ship.

Does anyone have a suggestion or agree/disagree with the repairman's diagnosis? Or perhaps suggest a maker/repairman they have used in the past?

Appreciate your thoughts in advance!

Gordon
Hi,
Maybe it would be best to check with Paddy Ward, and see if he will re-glue it? Is the flute Delrin or wood? There is a problem glueing to delrin, I usually use Gorilla Glue with delrin. The roughing up the parts is important also.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Definitely talk to the maker. You probably want to try to get to the root cause of the slide becoming detatched -- e. g., if it's wood, might you need to humidify it less?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Liney Bear

Tuning slide woes

Post by Liney Bear »

Sorry, forgot to mention, it's blackwood, not delrin.

I think you're right Chas - I must be humidifying it too much (Arizona, after all). I guess the headjoint must have swollen enough to break the adhesive bond.

I really have no idea how to get in touch with Paddy Ward, as the email address on his website appears to be defunct. If anyone has a contact for him, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

His correct Web address is:

www.paddywardflutes.com
wardflutes@hotmail.com

He may still be in Ireland visiting...
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Paddy is back in the states as of this week. He lives in New York full time but was in Eire for the holidays.

I've PMd you his email.

Best,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

'Eire' - now there's a quaint term!! Not actually sure if there is such a place, officially we are the Republic of Ireland (aka the Free State, down South etc.) or Northern Ireland (aka Six Counties, up North, Ulster sort of, THE UNITED KINGDOM).
Although, I'm not much convinced about the Republic bit these days: Greedyland more like it.
Then there's the euphemism, the 'ol sod, which I kinda like. Eire will do though ... all the best,