Coming out of the closet - now have a Seery :D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

No one's posts here are PAID posts and no liability attaches to the poster in relation to the accuracy and usefulness of any advice or comment.
Everything here is under the aegis of "OPINION".
8)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
toddyboy50
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toddyboy50 »

I can't understand why someone would point out Henke's post as contradictory.... I find his opinions quite consistent and useful - of course anyone with an open mind may at some point reconsider their thinking on specific flutes... I thought this forum is for letting people share their experience to help others and of course no one can "know" what's the "best" flute for somebody else - Tod
eilam

Post by eilam »

Tod - good points, i too always like to read Henke's posts, and always find them consistent, in that he write how and what he feels without ego thrown in.
i too, have both M&E and Seery, i like them in different ways, they are very different from each other.
i like playing the Seery better, but feel that the M&E is a better flute, especially for beginners.
The Seery to me, has a dry and un-interesting tone compared to the M&E, i think the M&E is at least as powerful, and may carry better because of it's more focused tone, but the Seery feels really nice in my hands.

like i said, i play the Seery more, but would recommend the M&E, especially if it's the only flute one has, for it's tone and playability.

eilam.
MarkusH

Post by MarkusH »

Recently, I had to face the very same decision, whether to buy a M&E or a Seery. After reading many times here and there, I came across an interesting and helpful website which features some audio files with M&E and Seery playing. Some of you might find this interesting. There is also a section (Comparisons) where one tune is played on different flutes and a mp3 running though scales.

http://www.flutesite.com

Finally, I decided to go with the M&E because its sound appeals to me more.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I have the good fortune of having 2 very playable, serviceable, wonderful and highly sought after flutes, both in D.

I LOVE them both! (I have more than these 2, but they are my favorites)

I wanted to try playing one of them exclusively, as has been recommended ad nauseum on this forum, in order to see if my playing will improve by leaps and bounds, as advertised (flame away, O flute Gods)

I couldn't decide which of the 2 I wanted for the experiment however. Much to my chagrine.

So I recorded myself playing a simple tune on both, and listened to the playback.

worked for me.

M

playing keyless flute since July 2002
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Brazen polyandering hussy!

Sorry, sorry.....

My policy about homosexuality is to encourage it in men
and to discourage it in women.

Similarly I've decided to encourage flute monogamy in everybody but myself. Shorten the waiting lists, you all,
sell second flutes, lower the market price,
see if I care.

It's interesting that the adjective 'dry' applied to the Seery
sound is spot on, IMO. I know exactly what people
are saying, having played the beast,
though I'm not really sure what the word means.
eilam

Post by eilam »

sorry Jim - if you don't know what i'm talking about, then i can't help you :wink:

to me, the difference between recorder and whistle, somewhat represents (even though much exaggerated, recorder tone being very rich, complex and narrow, whistle being dry and wide?)
the tonal differences between R&R type flute and Pratten.
i think it has to do with chimney depth and embouchure size and shape.
the Seery head is much thinner then the M&E.
like i write earlier - i love them both, and in fact grab the Seery most of the time, but if i'm playing where the tone really matters, i'd play the M&E.
the two are not a match to the Noy, Hammy, Olwell..........but when you consider the price difference, they sure may be a better value for the money to many.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, the Seery certainly is a Pratten.
I think some of us chifandfipplers, having played both Prattens and
Rudalls a good deal, have gravitated to the Rudall
sound, finally. Conversations suggest this and it's
my experience personally. Perhaps that has to do
with your preference for the M&E?
eilam

Post by eilam »

i actually like the Seery better, and so, i would naturally want the Seery to have the tone that i'm looking for.
if anything, to me this suggest more objectivity ?
m31

Post by m31 »

talasiga wrote:No one's posts here are PAID posts...
Well if one does not fully disclose the performance issues of a given instrument because their intention is to eventually sell it, is this not affecting the impartiality of the reviewer? Plus there's bound to be some cognitive dissonance when someone's laid out mucho peso for a flute and that person's been on a waiting list since forever only to get a flute that's marginally better than the one they've already been playing. No, such an individual is not being "paid" per se for their post but their desire to unload the flute has potentially impaired their their impartiality.

I'm not trying to stir the pot but only asking readers to take note.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

toddyboy50 wrote:I can't understand why someone would point out Henke's post as contradictory.... I find his opinions quite consistent and useful - of course anyone with an open mind may at some point reconsider their thinking on specific flutes... I thought this forum is for letting people share their experience to help others and of course no one can "know" what's the "best" flute for somebody else - Tod

I was simply making the point that we all tend to be biased towards the flutes we have at the moment, and as such, those who come here looking for advice might to well to keep in mind that we may not have compared what we own to what we don't own.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sometimes enthusiasm for a flute flows in part
from liking the maker personally and wanting him
to flourish. Another factor is that people who
don't like a flute don't post about it, typically,
so one may be getting a sincere but one-sided
sample.

I typically do a search on a flute that I might be
interested in and read everything that's been
posted here forever. Lots of conflicting descriptions,
often, and my own impressions (when I finally
play the thing) often don't match
the mainstream of what's been said, FWIW.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Interesting post

I didn’t interpret Lorens post as any criticism against Henrik, just an example to point out that, opinions (emotions, knowledge…) are anything but static. Henrik might have expressed some strong opinions in the past but I have always felt it has been in the best of efforts to help others, with conclusions based on his own experience and not factual convictions. One of the fun things with the board for a long time lurker is to see how others progress and evolve. I have seen a number of people join the forum with little experience but rapidly grow into to good musicians in a very short time, Henrik being one of them.
But I think Loren had a very valid and important reflection. Opinions do change and that’s a good thing, it’s a sign of progression.

Who knows what will happen next? In a few years Henrik might even agree with me that the type of timber has nothing to do with the sound characteristics of a wooden flute, it’s all up to the effects thermal conductivity and the microscopic boundary layers :D

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Loren wrote:
toddyboy50 wrote:I can't understand why someone would point out Henke's post as contradictory.... I find his opinions quite consistent and useful - of course anyone with an open mind may at some point reconsider their thinking on specific flutes... I thought this forum is for letting people share their experience to help others and of course no one can "know" what's the "best" flute for somebody else - Tod

I was simply making the point that we all tend to be biased towards the flutes we have at the moment, and as such, those who come here looking for advice might to well to keep in mind that we may not have compared what we own to what we don't own.

Loren

Polonius could not have done better.
You know, the one from Hamlet?
:party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I seem to remember Hamlet referring to Polonius as a "tedious old fool". Surely that can't apply here! :o Anyway, irascible is hip. It keeps us talking. :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde