Andrewisms...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Andrewisms...

Post by RudallRose »

Going through some saved emails from Andrew, I found a couple "gems" of his that really get at the complexity of his humor.
Feel free to share your own....
>>
Bhodraneers, perhaps, or bhodranistas ? Sinister people.
With a badly adjusted Siccama flute who needs a drummer ?
>>

Ice hockey gear looks good for Crap and Piddle character assassins.
( Without the stick ).
<<

I was just telling Terry McGee about the Dale doll I want for pinsticking or skewering.
Where I skewer it will give him piles at least.
I have a theory that he changes his atavar ( a gentleman would never
use a word like that ) frequently so I can't get a fix on him for my voodoo doll.
>>
(sorry Dale, but that was just too funny to pass up!)
>>

We are about 150 miles from London.
Two days on a good horse.
>>

I wonder what the hell to do with my little collection. A few people have tried the variety of 30 or so instruments in good order. I do not know where anybody could go to compare such classics, learn by actually trying them out at their leisure.
It takes a lot of getting them out and returning them to their little homes.
>>

I trust it is safe to tell you my plans ! I would hate to have to take you
out to protect the project. ( I joke )..
>>

gems, all of them!
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BMFW »

During on of the last phone calls I had with him he was telling me about his low blood sugar and the fact that he had to test himself by taking a sample of blood from his finger. In his words: "I get a bit confused, I don't know if I am supposed to prick my finger or finger my prick". :lol:
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

BMFW wrote:During on of the last phone calls I had with him he was telling me about his low blood sugar and the fact that he had to test himself by taking a sample of blood from his finger. In his words: "I get a bit confused, I don't know if I am supposed to prick my finger or finger my prick". :lol:
Oh man, that one is like a million years old.............

Loren
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Really? I hadn't heard it....

I think it's pretty funny! 8)

M
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

it's from George Carlin's "7 dirty words you can't say on television" skit in the 70's.

So, it is pretty old ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, so was Andrew.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wanderer wrote:it's from George Carlin's "7 dirty words you can't say on television" skit in the 70's.

Yeah, that's where I remember it from.

Loren
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Carlin's line:
"That's right; you can prick you finger, but doooon't finger your prick. No. No."

The recording is Class Clown and the 7 Dirty Words was just a segment (and his eventual career label, not just because it was funny, but because he was sued over it by a man who heard it on the car radio while his little son was with him)

Carlin was one of our best social-comedians of the 70s and 80s. He's not so good today, but still at it. I've seen him 3x.

dm
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

I liked this one:
AndrewK wrote:Do they have google where you live? Try it.
But maybe it's one thousand years old too...
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wanderer wrote:it's from George Carlin's "7 dirty words you can't say on television" skit in the 70's.
I don't at all approve of the language, but that 7 Words skit was one of the most ingeniously witty things I've heard.
Reasonable person
Walden
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Andrew K wrote:
[I find that natives of countries other than the US tend to be more self concious than Americans, DCrom. ( Are you sure you are not CD rom ? )
Do we not find that in times of war many citizens of the USof A do their best to be taken for Canadians ?
( I might try Vancouver in my next life - I don't intend to be dead more than three days ).
I don't know what on earth this has to do with my post, however.
I don't remember accusing this " Kelpie " person of being American, whether North or South.
He could, for all I know, be green with tentacles.
( Except, of course, that the cephalopods are reputed to have a large brains - I wouldn't like to offend any octopus reading this thread
).

In part, DCrom's reply:
Andrew, I'm pretty sure there are no cephalopods reading this forum - if naught else, it's hard to make the proper embouchure when you've got a beak.

I would have to say, in reading through some of Andrew's posts, that the charm is a bit lost when taken out of context.

Rest well, olde friend.

M
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Walden wrote:
I don't at all approve of the language, but that 7 Words skit was one of the most ingeniously witty things I've heard.
Yes, but alas, far outdated now... all are regularly used on television these days... well... one is less so.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

anniemcu wrote:
Walden wrote:
Yes, but alas, far outdated now... all are regularly used on television these days... well... one is less so.
You're speaking of these seven words you can't say on television: s***, p*ss, f***, c***, c***s***er, motherf***er and t*ts? (And t*ts is such a nice word. It doesn't really belong on the list.) What television stations are you watching that you hear all but one of these words on a regular basis? Must be exclusively cable or satellite TV, not broadcast TV (or radio for that matter), because on broadcast TV (which is subject to FCC regulation) all of these words are still verboten, with fines doled out if they are uttered on the air. Okay, maybe shows like NYPD Blue can get away with p*ss and t*ts now and then, but the other five I would challenge you to provide even one example where those words have been intentionally uttered on broadcast TV (excepting news and other truly live, non-scripted programming of course) and grave consequences did not result. This George Carlin routine may be old, but I would say it's not outdated at all. Still quite relevant in the early part of the 21st century...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

johnkerr wrote:...but the other five I would challenge you to provide even one example where those words have been intentionally uttered on broadcast TV (excepting news and other truly live, non-scripted programming of course) and grave consequences did not result. This George Carlin routine may be old, but I would say it's not outdated at all. Still quite relevant in the early part of the 21st century...
Check out some late nite standard cable. Actually not all so very late, come to think of it, depending on your definition of "late": The Shield makes liberal use of the ca-ca word. Most titillating. And Turner Classic Movies is a good, if kind of spotty, choice for that sort of thing in the wee hours. I remember when I first witnessed it; my jaw dropped and I almost called my mother.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Nanohedron wrote:
johnkerr wrote:...but the other five I would challenge you to provide even one example where those words have been intentionally uttered on broadcast TV (excepting news and other truly live, non-scripted programming of course) and grave consequences did not result. This George Carlin routine may be old, but I would say it's not outdated at all. Still quite relevant in the early part of the 21st century...
Check out some late nite cable. Actually not all so very late, come to think of it, depending on your definition of "late": The Shield makes liberal use of the ca-ca word. Most titillating. And Turner Classic Movies is a good, if kind of spotty, choice for that sort of thing in the wee hours. I remember when I first witnessed it; my jaw dropped and I almost called my mother.
Please note that I specified broadcast TV, i.e. over the air, not cable TV. In case you're not aware, these are the channels that someone like me with rabbit ears can pick up - the local NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS stations, perhaps a few others. Cable/satellite TV is a whole different world, over which the FCC has no jurisdiction - so, yes, there you can hear all these words and see them performed, for that matter. But when George Carlin did his act, cable TV was in its infancy. Broadcast TV was pretty much it in many areas of the country - and what cable systems existed then pretty much showed only the local broadcast TV stations. There was no made-for-cable content then. Now the roles are reversed, with broadcast TV in an extreme minority position against cable/satellite TV. But you still can't say those seven words on broadcast TV. Maybe that's why it's in the minority now, d'ya think?