Thinking about Tipple

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Thinking about Tipple

Post by Henke »

I want a Bb flute really bad, and I could use a D flute which I can mistreat. My M&E has gotten a little less indestructible since the addition of keys, and especially with the wooden head.
Thought about getting a pair of Tipples. A D and a low Bb. They look kind of cool, and people seem to think that they play very good.
Haven't looked at the prices, but two Tipples can't be that expensive right?

A couple of questions.
How does the Bb play? Is it honking? Is it powerful? Is it sweet? One of my worst fears about it is that it's going to be very weak. If you get a Bb, you want it to at least be somewhat close to rattling the windows.
And, should I get the embouchure plates? I got the impression that the flutes becomes more like the real deal with them on. More powerful, more resistance.
But I already have a "real" flute. So if I can get a useable and unique voice from these flutes without the plates, I wouldn't mind saving the money.
I listened to Michael Eskins soundclips with and without the plates on a D flute, and the clip without the plate sounded quite unique.
Or maybe I should get the D without and the Bb with a plate. Is the Bb going to be weak without it?
Any lefty players have experience with Doug? Does he make "lefty" flutes without charging extra?
Also, what other options do you guys recomend? Speckled bore? 8-holes? What are the things you can add to make the flute fit the bill better?

Lots of questions. Need answers :)

Cheers
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I wonder if the bodies would be interchangeable between the Bb and the D.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
cocusflute

Bb shake the windows

Post by cocusflute »

People don't generally buy a Bb flute because of its power or because it can rattle the windows. Bb flutes are mournful and low, very expressive. They don't project as well as D flutes, IMHO. But they are lovely.
A Bb session is a much quieter thing altogether. Even listeners in the pub seem to relax and speak more softly. Their quiet conversation is reminiscent of a bygone time, when people spoke softly in pubs, and the music was more relaxed.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second this. Also Doug's flutes have good volume.
As to these questions, Doug may chime in, hopefully,
and you might write him. Of course others may
have something to say too.
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

Can't answer anything about Tipples but the sound samples on this page are very nice:

http://www.greylarsen.com/store/lowflutes.php
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Henke,

I have a Tipple D, Speckled bore, 8 hole, no lip plate, with a wedge, that I think is great. If you want to save money, then you don't need the lip plate (sounds fine without, just not as easy to get the Irish sound-but you still can), and you don't need the Speckled bore (makes it a little louder, not much), and 6 holes would be fine. But, get the wedge!

I did have a Tipple Bb for a few days, but couldn't handle the stretch, playing piper's grip with the offset holes (using my pikies didn't feel great either, but maybe with inline holes I could have used them-don't know). I think it would have been easier for me to have inline holes, and use standard piper's grip, but it really helps to have some larger hands on the Bb. The B is less of a stretch, and probably would be what I would order now, especially with some newer hand problems I have, or even maybe a C. It would still sound like a low flute.

So, if that still works for you, get the speckled bore in the Bb. It does have a little more volume, and I wouldn't say the Bb is quiet (embouchure and technique is everything), but the lowest notes probably could use a little boost with the Speckled bore, even if your techinque is good.

Lip plate on the Bb? I doubt it would make it louder, but it would give either more of a woody tone, and maybe a little more expressive, but they sound fine on their own without, if you are looking to keep costs down, as you said, you migt want to skip it here too. The wedge, definitely again, to keep the 2nd octave in tune.

Don't forget shipping and taxes/duty if there is such a thing by you. Still, hard to spend so little, and get so much for 2 flutes!

Doug might be able to offer some more advice on them, or someone else who has played one or the other. Probably not too many Tipple Bb owners out there though.
~~~~
Barry
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

The Tipple is no honker!

Mrs Fool reckons that the Tipple is 7/10 as loud
as my Seery (pratten type flute).

The stretch is big, and I have to use it
every day, or else it is uncomfortable,
and after a week without playing it
nearly impossible. So practice, practice practice!
But I don't have big hands - Hand from wrist crease
to middle finger tip 7.5" Hand span - streched - thumb
to pinky tips = 8.5"

I find that pushing the flute forward helps
a lot, and I use pipers grip. My Bb is a 3 part, in line holes
so I can have the finger holes aligned to suit.
If I had a 2 piece, then I think it would be too
big a stretch for me.

I bought my Tipple because I knew it would be good
enough for me, as I have low D, and the sound quality
is second to none - for any money, and although I
like Bb, most of my playing ends up in D,
so I didn't want to spend a fortune to leave it
in the case a lot - so the Tipple scores again.
The second octave is easier with the wedge,
but not necessary - just easier to get the note.

Cheap enough in price, good quality sound,
and accurate enough (for me) in tone over
its range. I'd certainly buy another if it
disappeared or got damaged.
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I've a Tipple in D (grey three piece) with wedge that I never play because I am too in love with my other flute. I'd be willing to sell it. Let me know if you're interested
/Bloomfield
Doug_Tipple

Re: Thinking about Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Henke wrote:?
Any lefty players have experience with Doug? Does he make "lefty" flutes without charging extra?
Yes, I do make left-handed flutes at no extra charge.

With regard to my cylindrical-bore, low Bb flute, I have to agree that it is a monster flute, suitable only for those with fairly large hands. I can't play it myself unless I use my right-hand pinky, and then it is still uncomfortable for me. Also, I have recently redesgined the low Bb flute so that the joint between the two hands is now a turned pvc joint rather than a joint using a copper tenon.

For other questions or comments, please send me an email or visit my website. For anyone who may be interested, I have just posted a new mp3 at the bottom of the "audio files" page at my website. Two of my flutes are being played in a professional group on the tune, "Innishire".
BullFighter

Post by BullFighter »

i do have a Tipple Low Bb and it is great by all meanings...
the strech is difficult... i can reach the holes, by i´m improving the flute as a proyect adding keys for 6 and 3 holes.
the tone is delightfull and it appears to be loud the day i manage the embouchure
http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 005zf5.jpg
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Hey now... where did you get that cap!?

Darn you Doug. :swear:

I had to make my own!

:D ;)

Seriously... was that an option?

I really like my 3pc D s-bore.

Im afraid Im too in love with my new Cocran Pratten now.

No way Im selling Doug's though.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

BullFighter wrote:Image

i do have a Tipple Low Bb and it is great by all meanings...
the strech is difficult... i can reach the holes, by i´m improving the flute as a proyect adding keys for 6 and 3 holes.
the tone is delightfull and it appears to be loud the day i manage the embouchure
http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 005zf5.jpg
I like the key in the picture! It's a funky idea and hopefully it will work.

I wonder how hard it would be to jury-rig something like the keywork on a Susato low whistle?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Aanvil wrote:Hey now... where did you get that cap!?

Darn you Doug. :swear:

I had to make my own!

:D ;)

Seriously... was that an option?

I have a confession to make. I have hung around the Quakers for so long that the idea of simplicity and minimalism has rubbed off on me. When I see fancy end caps on flutes, I am not impressed. It is just like curtains on the windows; you don't need them. For the same reason I drive a rusty old Buick that still has a few miles left in her.
BullFighter

Post by BullFighter »

the key added weight to the foot....
so i make an endcap to add weigt to the head
i think a flute's cap acts as a second cork sealing a bit more that end of the head, driving the airstream down the flute