Polishing a Flute's Bore or My 2nd Peeve with Mopane

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Polishing a Flute's Bore or My 2nd Peeve with Mopane

Post by Sillydill »

First off, I’ll state that Mopane is most certainly an attractive wood and it has excellent acoustical properties. Mopane is a very good choice of wood for use in making flutes. In the dark it would be impossible to distinguish a Mopane flute from a Blackwood. :)

However, I have two personal peeves with Mopane when used for flutes:

First, as recently discussed here on the forum is the nuisance of the temporary discoloration of Mopane above the embouchure.

Second, is that Mopane is “whiskery” (it is difficult to keep it form developing whiskers of the grain standing up, especially in the bore). :(

The first is as mentioned a nuisance, I don’t think it has any real adverse effects. I’ve wondered if it will eventually culminate in the formation of whiskers in this area. But, alas I’ve never kept a Mopane flute long enough to find out. That’s just the way I am, changing flutes faster than the seasons.

The second does have a serious adverse effect upon the response and possibly tone of your flute. I had a used Casey Burns Folk flute with a whiskery bore and was surprised by how much the response improved after polishing the bore. I am not claiming this to be a fault with Casey’s flutes (he just makes a lot of flutes in Mopane). I’ve also had a Doyle and a McGee both in Mopane and both had whiskers developed in the bore.

I believe these whiskers have a snowballing effect...once the whiskers develop they hold more moisture and convey it beneath the grains, thus furthering and propagating the effect. I had wondered if the whiskers were due to improper breaking in of the flutes. So, in giving myself to science, I obtained a new Burns flute in Mopane. I have meticulously been breaking in the new flute and practically trying to pickle it in the Linseed Oil from Daniel Smith as recommended by Casey (actually I just keep liberally applying the oil every day or two). But unfortunately, the bore still developed whiskers. Therefore, I conclude that the whiskers are an inherent problem with Mopane and not due to a lack of vigilance during break-in.

Here is a picture of the tools I used for the polishing job:
Note* The tennons are taped to prevent contaminating the thread wraps with steel wool. The blue fabric is a piece of polyester fleece from one of the kids old sleeper pajamas. This material is very tough and fairly hard for fabric.

To remedy the problem you need to polish the bore of your flute. You only want to remove the offending whiskers, not any of the wooden walls of your flute. Some flutes have rolling undulations (corrugations) in their bore; these are part of the flutes acoustical design and should not be removed. Altering the bore of your flute will affect its tone and intonation. To accomplish this polishing I would recommend using OOOO steel wool. For the head of the flute I used a section of ½” diameter dowel rod and a section of 5/16” diameter dowel rod for the body. Steel wool comes basically rolled into the flattened pads, with care you can unroll the steel. I used a piece of packaging tape to secure the steel wool to my rods. I wrap the tape all the way around the rod and overlap a portion to securely hold it to the rod then of the trailing end of the tape I press the steel wool into the tacky face and start to roll the steel onto the rod (tacky face down). Roll enough steel wool onto the rod to make a diameter slightly greater than your bore. Then twist the steel wool tight and gently insert it into your bore. If the roll of steel wool is to big or small simply remove or add a little until a loosely snug fit is obtained. I polish the head by hand using gentle push-pull strokes with a little twisting till the bore is whisker free and shiny. For the body I chuck the small diameter dowel into my cordless drill and attach the steel wool in the same manner as was used for the head section. However, this time the thickness of the steel wool will be much greater (Caution do not wrap the steel wool to tightly, it needs to be compressible and resilient). It is important to start the body at the largest bore opening. Gently insert the rod and steel wool into the bore, then run the cordless drill on a low speed and gently work your way down the bore of the flute. I do this with a short scrubbing action (pushing/pulling moving only about 1” each time). Once your steel wool wrap has exited the further end of the section, I unchuck the rod and remove it from the flute section. Inspect the section and repeat the application until the whiskers are removed (some sections have particularly nasty spots that may be very difficult to remove. It may be better to leave some of the stubble in these areas, rather than risk removing to much material.)

If you wish to proceed to a finer finish, you can swab out the bore with a slightly damp rag. This will help to raise any further whiskers. Then lightly polish the bore again as described above, for the final polishing steps I use the polyester fleece instead of the steel wool. This process may even be repeated a second till to produce an excellent finish to the bore. But, remember only remove the whiskers not the wooden walls!

While you're at it why not lightly polish the exterior of the flute to remove any remaining tooling marks.

Here is a picture of my shiny bore:

Then thoroughly scrub the bore with a rag and ensure that the bore is dry. Then I’ve found that Yamaha Bore Oil, liberally applied and allowed to thoroughly dry, produces an excellent bore finish (seems to cement the grain down). But do not get this stuff on the outside of the embouchure, it tastes horrible!

Now that you have successfully polished the bore of your flute, you are basically back at square one and need to start breaking in the flute all over again. :sniffle:

Answer to logical question: Why not just use the Yamaha Bore Oil during the initial break-in. This is a good option, anyone want to give me a new Mopane flute to try this out on? Actually, I’ve tested Linseed, Almond and Yamaha oils on sections of “hardwood” dowels. The Linseed oil consistently penetrated faster and further than the other oils. I’ve also read that these commercial bore oils not only provide a barrier against moisture, they also form a barrier against future applications of oil. I wanted this deep penetration of oil for my new flute! Of course I could have simply applied linseed oil every day for a month and then sealed the bore with the Yamaha oil, all the while abstaining from playing the new flute. But after all I’m only human! :D

I would be interested in hearing feedback from others more experienced with Mopane flutes.

All the Best!

Jordan
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I am pretty sure that Teak oil is one of the deepest penetrating oils, you might want to try that out, but it is absorbed very slowly from what I hear. I can't say that I have owned lots (or any) Mopane Flutes.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well now Jordan I am completely confused now. I have never used any thing other than almound oil on any of my flutes with great results. I never use linseed oil simply because it hardens on the surface and tends to build up upon repeated use. I use to use it when I was doing sailboat interiors but I don`t use it on flutes, though I know some do. What I am woundering is what if the whiskers you are talking about are a product of over use of the linseed oil? Anyway your method for polishing the bore seems sound to me and I may just try it on my rosewood Dixon whos bore has been ruff as a cobe since it was new.

Take care

Tom
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

It would be interesting to hear Casey's thoughts on the Mopane and suitable methods of polishing the bore.

I finally got my hands on a used Burns Folk Flute myself, and although it's only about 6 months old, it has a pretty fuzzy bore too. The tone and playability are impressive, so no complaints there. It just feels funny when you go to swab it out, and the rag gets caught on the fibers. I'm not used to that either.

Any comments you would like to make, Casey?
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
I think Mopane can be highly polished. You can use Scotch brite pads, they come in different colors; green, red, grey, and white is the finest grit.
The Problem with steel wool is that it will grab the fibers and also it will remove the softer grain and keep the harder grain, making the surface rough.
Cheers,
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Anything wrong with just swabbing the bore with a pull-through swab, going from little-end to big?

I use card scrapers a lot on teak and mahogany, so being concious of 'uphill' and 'downhill' grain has become important. Wiping on sealer is even affected by grain direction. Does my experience translate at all into the world of fuzzy flutes?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Jon C. wrote:Hi,
I think Mopane can be highly polished. You can use Scotch brite pads, they come in different colors; green, red, grey, and white is the finest grit.
The Problem with steel wool is that it will grab the fibers and also it will remove the softer grain and keep the harder grain, making the surface rough.
Cheers,
Thanks for those tips, Jon, glad you commented. The Scotchbrite pads sound pretty good. Could you use them on a dowel, either by hand or by drill?
~~~~
Barry
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

greenspiderweb wrote:
Jon C. wrote:Hi,
Cheers,
Thanks for those tips, Jon, glad you commented. The Scotchbrite pads sound pretty good. Could you use them on a dowel, either by hand or by drill?
Yes, that is how I do it, I tape it on a rod and run it on the lathe, but you could do the same with a drill. Just make sure you don't take to much off. If you use the white grit it will just polish the wood, and not alter the bore dimentions.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
SoTX

Post by SoTX »

I had just discovered 0000 steel wool myself. It has made a tremendous difference in the bubinga ("African rosewood") flutes I have been making. I will go out and get some Scotchbrite pads.

While a "real" flutemaker (Jon C.) is here, I have a question:

I have been using reamers made of Home Depot oak dowels tapered on the lathe with carefully ground hacksaw blade bits set into them. It's a method available to anyone with a lathe. But they seem to remove wood in long splinters, and leave the bore uneven. Sanding sticks help some, and steel wool has worked wonders, but there must be a better way.

Is part of the trick machining an all-steel reamer with spiral flutes? Is there anything short of that, for us beginners?

-- Don
Lambchop

Re: Polishing a Flute's Bore or My 2nd Peeve with Mopane

Post by Lambchop »

Sillydill wrote:First off, I’ll state that Mopane is most certainly an attractive wood and it has excellent acoustical properties. Mopane is a very good choice of wood for use in making flutes. In the dark it would be impossible to distinguish a Mopane flute from a Blackwood. :)

However, I have two personal peeves with Mopane when used for flutes:

First, as recently discussed here on the forum is the nuisance of the temporary discoloration of Mopane above the embouchure.

Second, is that Mopane is “whiskery” (it is difficult to keep it form developing whiskers of the grain standing up, especially in the bore). :(

The first is as mentioned a nuisance, I don’t think it has any real adverse effects. I’ve wondered if it will eventually culminate in the formation of whiskers in this area. But, alas I’ve never kept a Mopane flute long enough to find out. That’s just the way I am, changing flutes faster than the seasons.

The second does have a serious adverse effect upon the response and possibly tone of your flute. I had a used Casey Burns Folk flute with a whiskery bore and was surprised by how much the response improved after polishing the bore. I am not claiming this to be a fault with Casey’s flutes (he just makes a lot of flutes in Mopane). I’ve also had a Doyle and a McGee both in Mopane and both had whiskers developed in the bore.

I believe these whiskers have a snowballing effect...once the whiskers develop they hold more moisture and convey it beneath the grains, thus furthering and propagating the effect. I had wondered if the whiskers were due to improper breaking in of the flutes. So, in giving myself to science, I obtained a new Burns flute in Mopane. I have meticulously been breaking in the new flute and practically trying to pickle it in the Linseed Oil from Daniel Smith as recommended by Casey (actually I just keep liberally applying the oil every day or two). But unfortunately, the bore still developed whiskers. Therefore, I conclude that the whiskers are an inherent problem with Mopane and not due to a lack of vigilance during break-in.

Here is a picture of the tools I used for the polishing job:
Note* The tennons are taped to prevent contaminating the thread wraps with steel wool. The blue fabric is a piece of polyester fleece from one of the kids old sleeper pajamas. This material is very tough and fairly hard for fabric.

To remedy the problem you need to polish the bore of your flute. You only want to remove the offending whiskers, not any of the wooden walls of your flute. Some flutes have rolling undulations (corrugations) in their bore; these are part of the flutes acoustical design and should not be removed. Altering the bore of your flute will affect its tone and intonation. To accomplish this polishing I would recommend using OOOO steel wool. For the head of the flute I used a section of ½” diameter dowel rod and a section of 5/16” diameter dowel rod for the body. Steel wool comes basically rolled into the flattened pads, with care you can unroll the steel. I used a piece of packaging tape to secure the steel wool to my rods. I wrap the tape all the way around the rod and overlap a portion to securely hold it to the rod then of the trailing end of the tape I press the steel wool into the tacky face and start to roll the steel onto the rod (tacky face down). Roll enough steel wool onto the rod to make a diameter slightly greater than your bore. Then twist the steel wool tight and gently insert it into your bore. If the roll of steel wool is to big or small simply remove or add a little until a loosely snug fit is obtained. I polish the head by hand using gentle push-pull strokes with a little twisting till the bore is whisker free and shiny. For the body I chuck the small diameter dowel into my cordless drill and attach the steel wool in the same manner as was used for the head section. However, this time the thickness of the steel wool will be much greater (Caution do not wrap the steel wool to tightly, it needs to be compressible and resilient). It is important to start the body at the largest bore opening. Gently insert the rod and steel wool into the bore, then run the cordless drill on a low speed and gently work your way down the bore of the flute. I do this with a short scrubbing action (pushing/pulling moving only about 1” each time). Once your steel wool wrap has exited the further end of the section, I unchuck the rod and remove it from the flute section. Inspect the section and repeat the application until the whiskers are removed (some sections have particularly nasty spots that may be very difficult to remove. It may be better to leave some of the stubble in these areas, rather than risk removing to much material.)

If you wish to proceed to a finer finish, you can swab out the bore with a slightly damp rag. This will help to raise any further whiskers. Then lightly polish the bore again as described above, for the final polishing steps I use the polyester fleece instead of the steel wool. This process may even be repeated a second till to produce an excellent finish to the bore. But, remember only remove the whiskers not the wooden walls!

While you're at it why not lightly polish the exterior of the flute to remove any remaining tooling marks.

Here is a picture of my shiny bore:

Then thoroughly scrub the bore with a rag and ensure that the bore is dry. Then I’ve found that Yamaha Bore Oil, liberally applied and allowed to thoroughly dry, produces an excellent bore finish (seems to cement the grain down). But do not get this stuff on the outside of the embouchure, it tastes horrible!

Now that you have successfully polished the bore of your flute, you are basically back at square one and need to start breaking in the flute all over again. :sniffle:

Answer to logical question: Why not just use the Yamaha Bore Oil during the initial break-in. This is a good option, anyone want to give me a new Mopane flute to try this out on? Actually, I’ve tested Linseed, Almond and Yamaha oils on sections of “hardwood” dowels. The Linseed oil consistently penetrated faster and further than the other oils. I’ve also read that these commercial bore oils not only provide a barrier against moisture, they also form a barrier against future applications of oil. I wanted this deep penetration of oil for my new flute! Of course I could have simply applied linseed oil every day for a month and then sealed the bore with the Yamaha oil, all the while abstaining from playing the new flute. But after all I’m only human! :D

I would be interested in hearing feedback from others more experienced with Mopane flutes.

All the Best!

Jordan

My goodness, Jordan! You're turning out to be an inveterate flute tweaker! Hon, just looking at what you did with that nice new Burns flute has given me the slightest touch of the vapors. :lol:

You know, I'm not sure I could ever sell one of my flutes now. The fear that you'd somehow get your big drill on them would bring me to tears.

I certainly can't anticipate what Casey Burns will say about you improving his flutes, but I do recall his offer to tune up and otherwise POLISH THE BORE on his flutes after you've had them a while.
Casey's Website wrote:If you have one of my flutes, please send it to me for servicing a few years or so after purchase. I will rewrap the tenons, check the oiling (and chastise you for not oiling), and generally make sure that you are maintaining it correctly. I will also check the tuning and repolish the bore as well.

The linseed oil he recommends is just refined flaxseed oil, Blackbeer. It is not the kind one would be likely to use on sailboat interiors or oil paintings. It doesn't harden like that.

Note to self . . . avoid instruments which may have passed thru Jordan's hands . . .
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Seems like I've read that other flutemakers recommend NOT using linseed oil on the inside of the flute because it can gum it up, altering the bore of the flute. The "gumminess" hardens inside making changes in the sonic qualities of the flute? True? I guess if you're using steel wool too, though, that would take care of the hardened "gummy's".

Jeanie
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I confess I'm confused by all this. I've played mopane flutes, and
own a Bb with a blackwood headjoint and a mopane body,
but I've never seen 'whiskers. '

What process would produce such a thing? What is this
phenomenon?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

In response to Jordan's post, all I can say is: We need more emoticons, because the stock one's provided by this BB, just aren't adequate to express my thoughts........

Loren
chas

Post by chas »

Without wanting to dredge up the whole "does the wood have any effect on the sound of a flute" thing, I would point out that the way the bore finishes is one of the ways in which different woods have different sounds. So maybe the little fuzzies are what gives mopane its characteristic sound, and by polishing it up you're just making it sound more like a blackwood flute. Personally I like the sound of mopane. I've got a low-flute set coming from Casey, so maybe when it does I'll document the bore finish as a function of time.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ah, I think I see, the grain stands up. I've never seen this,
but I never looked. If this is a real feature of mopane,
and it makes a difference to tone, wouldn't it be
a serious count against mopane as a flute wood?
Last edited by jim stone on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.