Flute cases

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

And thanks for the blade idea -- I bet that would help a LOT. I may just have to give this another try (look out, everybody! :-D).

Thanx for the whistle update as well. I have two of the O-Ring Burkes (Alum Narrow Bore & Brass Session Pro) and like them a lot. How do you find the Humphreys?

Ooops, there she goes, OT again. I think I'd better change my screen name.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LisaD »

Cathy Wilde wrote:How do you find the Humphreys?
I love them. They are sweet, responsive, perfectly in tune, and I can get what seems to me to be a perfect complex, slightly-chiffy sound depending on how I play it. They have a satisfying amount of back-pressure and I love that I can "lean" into a note without going out of tune.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

So far, the coolest case I have seen is one of the leather cases from Mark Hoza. They might not be airtight for humidity control, but I imagine a humidistat or the like in one would serve, as long as you kept it wet. And for more humid weather, it should be fine. Now, maybe the flute needs to be an Ironwood flute to have the coolest setup, I don't know! Or maybe you need to be getting off of a horse, and an have your Cooktown Ironwood flute tucked away in your saddlebag! 8) Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.woodenflutemaker.com/Leather.html
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

I love the look of leather.
Aerowhip

Post by Aerowhip »

Hey All -

I'm more of an observer here (a Powdermilk bicuit deficiency), but I can't help chiming in on this one. I just finished building a case for my new (used) keyless Olwell. It came in a soft case, and I'm just not a soft case kind of person. For me, I wanted as case as slim-line as possible, to slip easily into bags and such, and the funky old oval clamshell cases that come with some of the antiques inspired the lack of corners. It's rosewood, oiled.

It has a quilted fabric bag for a cover, also.

Thanks for letting me share.
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

Cool! ...and when will you be going into business?!?

Pamela
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I'll take a couple of those!
Seriously.

M
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

What should one look for in a case for a keyed wooden flute? Should it be airtight? Could that egg-crate foam be harmful to the wood?

I have a doskosport pistol case that I bought with my Tipple that I am thinking about using for my new old wooden flute, since I keep the Tipple in one of Doug's cloth pouches now. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Not that I'm aware of...my keyed flute has lived in a pistol case for a year (in fact, that's what it came in) with no ill effects.
norseman

Post by norseman »

I just got my new Casey Burns mopane flute on Saturday, and it came with a padded fabric case. I've been keeping it in the case inside a Rubbermaid container with a guitar Damp-it humidifier.

That's working fine, but I would prefer a more protective case such as a pistol case. For those of you who use a pistol case with a wooden flute, how do you handle humidification? I would think that most pistol cases are nearly airtight, so putting the case inside of a Rubbermaid container with a Damp-it or sponge would probably not be very effective. I also wonder if putting a humidifier inside the pistol case will work very well since there's very little open air.

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I only worry about humidification in the dry winter months...the pistol case my flute is in just fits into a very big Ziploc freezer bag. I put a little sandwich bag (open) with a damp piece of sponge in side the Ziploc bag with the flute, and everything stays at around 75% humidy, according to the little analog hygrometer in my flute case.
norseman

Post by norseman »

Thanks Tintin. I didn't state it in my post, but I live in Arizona, so humidity is an issue for most of the year. We're now in our "monsoon" season where we have fairly high humidity, but that's only about 2 months out of the year. The rest of the time the humidity is very low.

Bob
norseman

Post by norseman »

I think I've found a good solution for me.

I bought a fairly large aluminum pistol case ( 16'' X 9'' X 4 1/2'' ). The bottom foam is in two layers and you can remove the very bottom layer that's 3/4'' thick. This leaves some space between the eggshell foam pieces, but still holds the flute pieces securely enough. What I did was put the flute pieces inside a freezer bag along with a guitar Dampit humidifier and put that inside the pistol case. The eggshell foam still separates the flute pieces, and I think there is enough air in the bag to keep the flute humidified since the extra foam piece is removed.

Anyone see any problems with doing this?

Thanks,
Bob
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cathy Wilde wrote:My big problem seemed to be cutting the stuff, esp. around keys on my keyed flutes. Anyone have any thoughts on the best weapon for that? Scissors, Xacto blades and a utility knife were of no avail -- everything just snagged or tore or the foam broke off.

Serrated bread knife.
Cotelette d'Agneau
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

have people heard of this guy?
http://www.fine-boxes.com/