New, play GHB Want to flute, and whistle. Just read!!!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

SSPs to UPs

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Unseen122

Sorry to disagree with you on this. The people that have the least trouble in transferring to UPs are those that can play one of the other types of cauld wind pipes, certainly they find it much easier than those learning UPs as thier first melody instrument.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

My parents buy me instruments??? Why wasn't I informed???? :D

I just have a minors bank account :( Not bad, but my parents think I am nutters about this music stuff :twisted:

I wasn't expecting to buy a pro model first- I was expecting to do more of a whistle, (Or 3
:D ), PVC flute, (Any links?) Then a nice model. Something tuneable and a little nice looking. :)
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Erikpiper wrote:I would not be satisfied with something like the folk flute.
The folk flute is a DARN good flute. There are quite a few players that really like them a lot, including JessieK on this board. Everyone that played Renee's fell in love with it and we made several sales for him over the last year. So don't go prejudging something before you do any research. :-?

Another good flute, and the one my wife currently plays, is a Bleazey in mopani. It is a good flute too. Phil does not have the big name recognition, but he does quality work for a fair price. I currently have each key of his whistles as well.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Denny

Post by Denny »

Erikpiper wrote:I will start on the whistle first- earliest I can get a halfway decent flute is next year. I would not be satisfied with something like the folk flute. Something used maybe?

Now to convince my parents I am NOT crazed,
Good luck...you've lost some of us! You want something halfway decent but a Folk Flute will not do? Casey's Folk Flute is bargain. Do not confuse "bargain" with "halfway decent". Its good.
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

Thanks!

You are right-I am being quite stupid. it is dumb to be prejeduced without reaserch. It does gound good.

I will post more tomorrow. It is almost midnight here.

Thanks all!
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

Get a whistle and start learning tunes now. Whistle is like a PC for flute and UPs.

I play Piob Mhor with a grd IV Irish band and session with whistle and mouth blown small pipes. My Krons with rockets are a dream. I am working on the UPs but the closed fingering is giving me kanipshins :boggle:

Learn to get a good Irish/Scottish trad sound from a simple flute before you go all keys and money on you poor parents. :roll:
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Avery (Unseen122), I've heard that the bellows technique for SSP and UP are different too but, as David said, having familiarity with the bellows can only help.
Baglady wrote:I play Piob Mhor with a grd IV Irish band and session with whistle and mouth blown small pipes.
What kind of smallpipe do you play?

Cheers,
Aaron
BigDavy

Bellows technique

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Aaron

There is no difference in the use of the bellows in any of the cauld wind pipes. The only difference between SSPs and UP technique is in controlling the pressure to change octave and that is done using the bag, not the bellows.

My teachers say that the pressure the pipes should be played at is the cusp area of the octave change as this means that the drones will be stable when you go up and down the octave.

The LBPS will be hosting events at Piping Live.

http://www.pipingfestival.co.uk/

You are coming for the championship I believe, so take advantage if you are coming over early enough.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
Baglady wrote:I play Piob Mhor with a grd IV Irish band and session with whistle and mouth blown small pipes.
What kind of smallpipe do you play?
I play two custom made sets of pipes, one in A and one in D. The A set is Blackwood with plastic split reeds and the D set is delrin with custom composite single reeds.
Baglady
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

What's the makers name?
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

Designed by Royce Lerwick and turned by a very well known pipe maker who wants to remain unnamed because he doesn’t have time to make anymore.
Baglady
Oh, and,
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I remember about 10 years ago when Royce tried to market his Zetland pipes... some of us laughed at them but he had his finger on the piping pulse with those things. Right about then John Walsh came out with his Shuttle pipes and then Shepherd came out with mouthblown smallpipes and now the market is flooded.

Now the Border pipes are the hot thing. Have you looked at Fred Morrison's Reel Pipes?

Cheers,
Aaron
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sorry to send this in a different direction, but this thread seems to be getting attention from pipers, so here goes...

My only piping experience is some squawks on a HP practice chanter. But this looks like so much fun:

http://www.dancingstickmen.com/Bag1.html

How hard do you think it would be to learn to play this, coming from a flute background? (The chanter uses open fingering, so that helps.)

And regarding the real topic of this thread, I agree, the Burns Folk flute is a terrific value. The M&E polymer flute is also a good instrument. Getting a whistle (in D) is a smart first move, and don't feel like you have to spend much to get a good instrument. Try out a couple at music shop, or get a Jerry Freeman tweaked Generation from the Whistle Shop or Elderly Instruments, and you'll be set.
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

If you want smallpipes, instead I would advise walsh mouthblown smallpipes, or shuttlepipes. Inexpensive, and synthetic reeds, easy to use. Good reputation.
http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/index.html
They do have the mixolydian scale, same fingerings as GHB.

I have heard bad things about that makers other pipes..

UPDATE: Message corrected as I have learned more
Last edited by Erikpiper on Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist