Doctor, there's a tuning slide in my foot!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Doctor, there's a tuning slide in my foot!

Post by bradhurley »

A friend of mine from France just sent me this photo of a foot joint from one of Tom Aebi's new designs...apparently this is based on something Rudall and Rose used to do. Three bottom keys (is the bottom note a B?) and a tuning slide at the end of the foot joint. I've never seen anything like this myself. What does the tuning slide do? Does it allow you to change the lowest notes?

michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I've seen a similar thing on the pipes. You can adjust the bell tone depending on whether you want to play a lot of hard low D's in tune (this is for the pipes). Maybe something similar for the flute....
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Modern baroque flutes sometimes have an extendible foot - I think it's used to correct intonation when using a middle joint at a different tuning. Could Aebi's design allow you to tune up to Eb or down to C using the slide and the foot?

Eric
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Doctor, there's a tuning slide in my foot!

Post by Jon C. »

[quote="bradhurley"]A friend of mine from France just sent me this photo of a foot joint from one of Tom Aebi's new designs...apparently this is based on something Rudall and Rose used to do. Three bottom keys (is the bottom note a B?) and a tuning slide at the end of the foot joint. I've never seen anything like this myself. What does the tuning slide do? Does it allow you to change the lowest notes?

It must be to tune the lower notes in the foot C#/C/B. Looks cool, but would make a heavy foot, so I guess it would be a "foot doctor".
Jon
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
eilam

Post by eilam »

it would be to correct the bottom notes on a flute that was designed to be played in a few different pitches.
Unless one is after a correct replica, I'm surprised that a modern maker would bother with this, since we just play at 440, I'm even surprised that modern makers bother with the Pewter plus on the foot, but I guess it has more to do with authenticity then playability (I hope these are real words :-? ).
e.
I.D.10-t

Re: Doctor, there's a tuning slide in my foot!

Post by I.D.10-t »

Jon C. wrote: It must be to tune the lower notes in the foot C#/C/B. Looks cool, but would make a heavy foot, so I guess it would be a "foot doctor".
Jon
Would a lead foot help me play faster?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Well, I suppose I could just ask Tom directly what he had in mind, but my thinking was that, given the position of the tuning slide, it would be used to change the bottom B to a Bb.

A B footjoint is not so uncommon, but it would be cool to have a footjoint that could also go down to Bb.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I want a foot that can go down to G. Oh yeah.

That is a great looking Flute there.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Here's a foot extender on a Rod Cameron Baroque flute.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7328397985

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

The device in question used to be called a register, or foot register. It was introduced at the time that different bodies (corps de rechange) were used to give a range of pitch. If you changed to a different corps you also tweaked the foot register and the stopper position to optimise the tuning of the flute throughout the range.

The range of the foot register is usually pretty short, so I doubt if it is intended to pull the low B down to Bb on the flute illustrated. That could be achieved by a plug-on section which would look the same but be longer.

I've often wondered about having a foot register so that players could set the bottom D as flat as they want depending upon how much push they want to put into that note. Of course you can always flatten the bottom D a little if you want by pulling the foot out on its tenon.

Terry
Booseyflute

Tunable foot joints

Post by Booseyflute »

Brad,

I have a Richard Potter boxwood flute with a tunable foot joint, which Potter patented. Pulling it out reveals numbered lines that correspond to numbered lines in the head-joint slide; apparently the idea was to set both slides to the same number in order to get the flute in perfect tune.

Dick Abrams
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

You're so right, Dick.
Potter did this....NOT Rudall & Rose.

In fact, I've never seen a single R&R with this type contraption.

Then again....they did do just about anything, so you watch as one pops up.

But there are currently none in the catalogue with anything like this.