Piccolo appropriate as a traditional instrument?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

http://www.asaplive.com/FARNE/Listening ... 247&cs=739

Here's a link to a well known piccolo player I heard many moons ago.Even had one or two of his albums....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jb »

Piccolo is still fairly common in fiddle orchestras in Scotland.
kenny

piccolos

Post by kenny »

One outstanding exponent of the piccolo in Irish Traditional music was the late John Doonan from Tyneside in the North-East of England. He has made a few recordings, the best-known being "Flute For The Feis" which came out in the 70s. Most of the tunes on the record were set-dances, which he used to play for dance competitions. He achieved near cult status when the late John Peel used to play "The Ace And Deuce Of Piping" on his late night radio programme. This family tradition of piccolo-playing is continued by his son Mick.
Another fine player is Gordon Tyrell from Leeds.
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

Thanks for all the information, y'all. Now I really want one. I'm going to be quite disappointed if my gift is something else entirely!
"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

With all of this talk about piccolos, I decided to order an instrument from Ralph Sweet. I see that Ralph is discontinuing his piccolo and replacing it with what he calls his professional fife made from laminated wood. Based on the recommendations from people here at C & F, I ordered the professional fife (or is it a piccolo?) that can be converted to a D whistle. Here is a photo, and happy Thanksgiving everyone.
http://www.sweetheartflute.com/whistles.html
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

A Nach Meyer picc arrived in the mail the other day, tonight I put new pads and threads on the tenons and am merrily squeaking away. It's great fun, albeit much more work than the whistle and a real feast for the right eardrum...also it's very dinky, like playing a sopranino recorder or Northumbrian pipes F chanter. Hard to get around the keys, your fingers almost come straight down.
Tiny holes on this thing, Sweet's holes are quite biggish, aren't they? Get some earmuffs!
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: piccolos

Post by oleorezinator »

kenny wrote:One outstanding exponent of the piccolo in Irish Traditional music was the late John Doonan from Tyneside in the North-East of England. He has made a few recordings, the best-known being "Flute For The Feis" which came out in the 70s. Most of the tunes on the record were set-dances, which he used to play for dance competitions. He achieved near cult status when the late John Peel used to play "The Ace And Deuce Of Piping" on his late night radio programme. This family tradition of piccolo-playing is continued by his son Mick.
Another fine player is Gordon Tyrell from Leeds.
another doonan recording is the topic lp the lark in the clear air.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa