Olwell cane or Hamilton practice flute for a beginner?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Olwell cane or Hamilton practice flute for a beginner?

Post by stiofan »

I'm a whistle player considering crossing over to the flute, and I'm wondering about opinions on a relatively inexpensive flute to get started on (say under $150/130 Euro), before I decide if I want to invest in a full-fledged instrument. Patrick Olwell's cane flutes have been recommended, and I'm also curious about Hammy Hamilton's practice flute (aluminum w/nylon mouthpiece). Any advice on these or other flutes for a beginner? Appreciate any suggestions.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

The Hammy practice flute would obviously be more durable. However, the Olwell is warm to the touch and beautiful (I have one).

Can't speak about differences in playability since I've never played a Hammy, but from both my experience and other's comments here, the embouchure on the Olwell is challenging to learn on, but will develop good embouchure when you step up to a fine, wooden flute in the future.

Brian Finnegan, Jean-Michel Viellon, and Ian Anderson (ok, not Irish, but a damn fine flute player). All play on Olwell bamboos (and countless other professionals, no doubt), and Finnegan and Anderson have recorded albums with them. They are a very fine instrument.

Hopefully someone with more Hammy experience would chime in.

Regards,
- Ryan
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Either one would be a good choice; the main thing to keep in mind is that both of these are cylindrical flutes, thus the tuning is different than on a conical-bore flute (e.g. most simple-system wooden flutes).

Therefore, if/when you "graduate" to a wooden flute you will have to relearn how to blow the flute in tune, particularly in the upper notes of the second octave. Those notes are normally a bit flat on a cylindrical flute and a bit sharp on a conical flute. It's not a big deal to re-learn, but you just have to be aware of the difference and compensate accordingly when you change flutes.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Ya know I sometimes wounder if I shouldn`t just start sending out my Almount flute to whistlers converting to flute. Alan makes a fine flute for 50 bucks that will make the switch from whistle to flute so much less painful. First of all the tone holes are offset and are incredably comfortable. It is tunable. It is easy to get good tone on . It will be less frustrating in the beginning because of its ease of playing. I have had mine for about 10 months and it is always here at my side for a quick tune or two. I also have conical bore flutes and I realy don`t notice the switch in the 2nd octive. I know its there but it is easy to get what you want. Now having said all that I do have an Olwell bamboo on order and can`t wait to get it. But this stupid old hunk of sewer pipe will be with me always. And when your playing improves this thing can realy honk. So there is my two cents worth. Oh hears a nother pennies worth.
Although I love metal whistles I can`t say the same about metal flutes.
They just don`t sound right. What ever you decide remember you are in for a chalenge whos rewards are infinte.

Tom
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Size might matter for you. I'd find out the diamaeter on the Hamilton. It may just be the bamboo Patrick used but my flute has a large diameter. I've got big hands so it's no problem for me and Patrick does offset the embouchure and D hole.
The Hamilton is made to be a practice flute to be played until the student gets a wooden flute. The Olwell bamboo isn't really a practice flute but because of it's economy and quality it's a good choice for one.
Cheers,
Aaron
skh

Post by skh »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Size might matter for you. I'd find out the diamaeter on the Hamilton.
2.2 cm or 13/16 inch.

I've been playing a Hammy practice flute for a few weeks now, and I'm happy. As a beginner, however, I can't tell you whether it is a good beginner flute or not. I'll know in a few months.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I'll second the almount for a good starters flute. I played one as my main flute before my hamilton blackwood keyless D (not the student model) and it deffinatly proved to be a good starting flute. And Brad is right that you do need to switch and alter your embouchure a bit when you move to conical but it really isn't a big deal... you just need to be aware of it. But since all the flutes you mentioned are cylindrical you'll have to switch for all of them. I'd recomend you get one of his starter flutes and then get yourself on a waiting list of one of the big makers when you find out if the flute is right for you. I believe his price is about 50 bucks... you can check out his website for more info if you want. www.geocities.com/zozm/ Anyways there is going to be a getogether in the bay area in a few months of us Chiffsters so check out the thread on the whistle forum if you're interested in coming.

Jack
No I'm not returning...
stiofan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

olwell it is

Post by stiofan »

Thanks for your advice and opinions, folks - after perusing the forum here, and talking with a few flute players where I live (San Francisco), I've decided to go with the Olwell bamboo flute to get started on. Talked with Patrick Olwell himself, and sent my check to Nellysford today. Appreciate all of your feedback and suggestions. Soon I'll no longer have to hold my low whistle sideways...

:wink: