New book : The compositions of Tommy Whelan

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

New book : The compositions of Tommy Whelan

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It is Willie Clancy week and new CDs, books and what have you are being launched like there's no tomorrow.

Seán Moloney has just launched a book of 19 compositions and one 'special' setting (of the Sailor on the rock) by the East Galway flute player Tommy Whelan.

Whelan was one of the fluteplayers in the Old Ballinakil Band

The tunes are meticulously transcribed, perhaps using slightly unusual ways to reflect some ornamentation. Some history, photos etc included as well as a CD of old recordings of various Ballinakil players, including Eddie Moloney, Kevin Moloney, Tommy Coen, Seán Moloney.

The collection is available in 'very' limited numbers in print but will be available online shortly.

So there you have it.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: New book : The compositions of Tommy Whelan

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:27 am The tunes are meticulously transcribed, perhaps using slightly unusual ways to reflect some ornamentation.
It's always a challenge trying to capture Irish fluteplaying (or indeed a trad performance on any trad instrument) on the white page.

I will say that it is possible to transcribe an Irish flute performance of, say, a reel in such a way that a "classical" fluteplayer who has never heard Irish music can, at sight, play from the music and produce a fairly "Irish" sounding rendition. As far as I know, no book has been published with such. These transcriptions are odd-looking and require an experienced trained sightreader such as an orchestral flutist to play everything that's present on the page.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle