What are the first couple of Tunes you play to start off your practicing?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

What are the first couple of Tunes you play to start off your practicing?

Post by Ben Shaffer »

So what are the first couple of Tunes that pop out of your Flute when you start to practice every day?
For me the last couple of Months , Its Father O'Flynn and then the Hanover Hornpipe played as a reel. The version of Hanover I play is the second Version here at the Session Website. I see it is also called Minstrels Fancy. Ive never heard it played at a Session, but anyone who has played in a Fife and drum Group will very happily hop in with you if you start to play it. Not to say that Irish Musicians don't play it as it is on the Session Site. But anyhow what are you playing. By the way I'm looking for new fun Tunes to play :D

Here is Hanover Hornpipe, play the second version you'll love it
https://thesession.org/tunes/2761

Side Bar.. Its funny how you start off practice and its different for each Instrument
When I played the GHB's it was slow 3/4 Tunes
Clarinet, I played Scales and a few Pop Tunes from the 50's
Last edited by Ben Shaffer on Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: What are the first couple of Tunes you play to start off your practicing?

Post by pancelticpiper »

For me it's not a tune but a warmup which gets my embouchure dialed in quickly.

I learned it from professional Boehm fluteplayers.

The short version is just playing Bottom D. Start as quietly as possible, build to as loud as possible, and return to as quiet as possible, all on a single long breath, and most importantly staying exactly on pitch the entire time (in other words quiet isn't flatter and loud isn't sharper).

ppp<fff>ppp I suppose it would be written.

Oddly enough this improves my high notes as much as it does my low notes, because it improves focus, and all good things come from focus.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Not to say that Irish Musicians don't play it as it is on the Session Site
I don't think a tune's presence on the session.org will necessarily tell you much about whether Irish musicians play it or not. A lot of people will submit anything there.

That said, that particular hornpipe was recorded by McKenna as 'the Buck from the Mountain' (and more recently, after him by Frankie Gavin) and wellknown. And not just among mountainy men.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

It’s always different for me. I play whatever tune I feel like playing. Sometimes it is something I recently learned, and sometimes it is just some random tune that is in my head.

However, there are some tunes I have a tendency to play more often as soon as I pick up my flute. One of my favorite things to play is a set consisting of The Green Mountain/The Limestone Rock/The Humours of Loughrea. This is a set I have been playing almost daily for several years now. I usually like to end the Green Mountain at the end of the A part the third time through, often ending the A part on a cran before going into Limestone Rock.

The way the first tune transitions into the second this way really sounds good to me and starting off my practice with this set always gets me excited and in a good mental space for playing.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'll have to try the low D exercise...sounds interesting.

I tend to start off playing a nice waltz - something like Drunk at Night Dry in the Morning or a locally written tune Place in the Heart. Then, I move to whatever I'm currently learning.

Eric
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

I start with something I don't feel especially attached to. I find playing a brisk tune as slowly as I can but still in time is a good way to warm up breath and focus—it can tend to ruin a favourite, though. At the moment it's a cheery old march called The Bold Fenian Men. Then a reel to warm up the arthritis, literally the first one that comes into my head.
Average Whistler
Tell us something.: Recovering Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder sufferer. Started too late in life to be great, but good enough for my own enjoyment. Recently started learning Irish flute.

Post by Average Whistler »

I go old school... scales and arpeggios.

It started off as a habit from classical training on the clarinet, but I came to appreciate the value of arpeggios when learning tunes with a series of successive jumps.

AW
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

pancelticpiper wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:26 am For me it's not a tune but a warmup which gets my embouchure dialed in quickly.

The short version is just playing Bottom D. Start as quietly as possible, build to as loud as possible, and return to as quiet as possible, all on a single long breath, and most importantly staying exactly on pitch the entire time (in other words quiet isn't flatter and loud isn't sharper).

Oddly enough this improves my high notes as much as it does my low notes, because it improves focus, and all good things come from focus.
Wow thank you Richard - I tried that at practice last night and it's a really good way of jump-starting the embouchure. Hoorah for the Chiff & Fipple knowledge pool!
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

pancelticpiper wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:26 am For me it's not a tune but a warmup which gets my embouchure dialed in quickly.

Thank you Richard!!! I tried this to start my two practice sessions yesterday and it really did help me!!!! Thanks for sharing the tip!!!
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I've been having to do a lot more work on my embouchure with the Olwell I got a few months ago (definitely the most demanding flute I've owned), so I usually spend about 15 minutes doing: 1. scales (D & G major + Em), 2. sometimes a few arpeggios, and 3. this exercise: starting on G in the first octave, then slurring up to G in the second octave, then back and forth, playing the upper G softly and the lower one with more volume (this came from lessons with Blayne Chastain). A few times a week I'll also do the same scales, slurring each note from the lower to upper octave.

Richard: I'm going to start incorporating this exercise into my practice regimen as well, so thanks for passing it along!
pancelticpiper wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:26 am The short version is just playing Bottom D. Start as quietly as possible, build to as loud as possible, and return to as quiet as possible, all on a single long breath, and most importantly staying exactly on pitch the entire time (in other words quiet isn't flatter and loud isn't sharper).

As for tunes, for some reason or the other, I like starting with these two:
Carolan's Welcome
Condon's Frolics (aka The Thatcher)
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Sirchronique wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:22 am It’s always different for me. I play whatever tune I feel like playing. Sometimes it is something I recently learned, and sometimes it is just some random tune that is in my head.

However, there are some tunes I have a tendency to play more often as soon as I pick up my flute. One of my favorite things to play is a set consisting of The Green Mountain/The Limestone Rock/The Humours of Loughrea. This is a set I have been playing almost daily for several years now. I usually like to end the Green Mountain at the end of the A part the third time through, often ending the A part on a cran before going into Limestone Rock.

The way the first tune transitions into the second this way really sounds good to me and starting off my practice with this set always gets me excited and in a good mental space for playing.
I have never heard the Tune limestone Rock, so I printed it from the Session Website....Nice Tune! :thumbsup: