Cutting Foam for a Flute Case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Cutting Foam for a Flute Case

Post by Ben Shaffer »

So I picked up a very nice compact plastic case used for $1. There is nothing on the inside. What I would like to do is to take a piece of foam and cut the foam so it will hold the pieces of the Flute. If I can do this the Flute will fit nicely in the Case. My question is how do you get those clean perfect cuts that you see on some Flute cases that already have the foam as well as other items that already have the foam? And also where might you purchase the foam?
I know I can use an X acto Knife or Box Cutter, but will they give me the clean sharp cut I'm looking for?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Cutting Foam for a Flute Case

Post by PB+J »

You can buy foam of different type at any fabric store. It's not all that easy to work with. It will cut easily with a razor blade, except that you can't manage clean lines because it compresses as you cut it. I've sometimes clamped a board on either side of a cut I want to make, to pre-compress it. I've also used rectangular blocks of foam and hot glued them together. That works well, but you still want to get a straight consistent cut. Scissors can work. It's kind of a pain to work with.

If you use rigid insulation foam, which you can buy at Home Depot type stores in big sheets, you can score and snap it or cut it with a saw or sharp knife. It;'s very easy to shape and iy you want to get fancy yu can use a hot wire foam cutter: https://hotwirefoamfactory.com/
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

For open-cell foam, the best tool I’ve found is an old-school electric turkey-carving knife. The kind with 2 blades that reciprocate. If you have one of those, you’re golden.

[ed.-spelling]
Last edited by Flotineer on Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

An alternative might be pick-and-pluck foam, chopped up into cubes already and you just pull out sections to create holes:

https://www.amazon.com/Insert-Bottom-St ... 559&sr=8-7
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi Ben, all

As I've probably mentioned before, I use hot-wire cutting to a) cut down foam sheets to fit into the flute case, and b) to scoop out hemi-cylinders in the top of the block for the flute parts to live in. It's not something that you'd probably be equipped for at home, but I just mention it in case you do have access to suitable equipment. You need an adjustable source of low voltage high current power.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

That pick and pull foam as always been a PITA to me, so I cut it with an x-acto type knife after outlining the body parts with a gold paint marker. Here are pics of what I end up with:

Being such a thin case (although very sturdy), I have to pluck the top down to the case to accommodate the low C/C# keys, and I have the open space up top to allow for carrying one of my O'Brien Rover whistle.

Eric
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have one of those Pelican thin laptop cases Jayhawk pictured, and I like it but the pick and pluck foam tends to kid of fall apart. There's a guy on Youtube who sprays it with that spray rubber or spray plastic stuff to keep it more in place.

Also the thin case doesn't have a handle, which bothers me. It comes with a short strap which is for me at least too short for a shoulder strap and not a good handle.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

PB+J wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:21 pm I have one of those Pelican thin laptop cases Jayhawk pictured, and I like it but the pick and pluck foam tends to kid of fall apart. There's a guy on Youtube who sprays it with that spray rubber or spray plastic stuff to keep it more in place.

Also the thin case doesn't have a handle, which bothers me. It comes with a short strap which is for me at least too short for a shoulder strap and not a good handle.
Definitely if you like a handle, not your best choice, but if you're a backpack stuffer like me, it takes up less real estate than any other flute case I've ever owned.

Eric
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

I've just made some wooden cases. I cut and plane a bat of rigid Styrofoam insulation, then use a router bit in the drill press. Bump-outs can be cut with a Dremel sanding drum. Then I glue velveteen in the channels.
Walt
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

waltsweet wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 am I've just made some wooden cases. I cut and plane a bat of rigid Styrofoam insulation, then use a router bit in the drill press. Bump-outs can be cut with a Dremel sanding drum. Then I glue velveteen in the channels.
Walt
Hey Walt , I remember your Dad had fabricated the interior to make some Irish Flute cases out of the standard plastic cases you see with all Metal Flutes . I think I had bought a rosewood 4 key Flute of his that was in one of those Cases.. He said what a pain in the Ass it was to refit those Flute cases :D . I stupidly sold that Flute and I'm sure whoever owns it still has it in that case. BYW the 4 key Rosewood Flute he made was a great Flute and I wish I had kept it! :poke:
Last edited by Ben Shaffer on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

[/quote]
BYW the 4 key Rosewood Flute he made was a great Flute and I wish I had kept it! :poke:
[/quote]

I mistakenly sold one of those great flutes, too! I was paranoid about wooden flutes cracking at the time...great flute but not yours...didn't have that nifty case.

Eric
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Jayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:43 am
BYW the 4 key Rosewood Flute he made was a great Flute and I wish I had kept it! :poke:
[/quote]

I mistakenly sold one of those great flutes, too! I was paranoid about wooden flutes cracking at the time...great flute but not yours...didn't have that nifty case.

Eric
[/quote] I do remember now the path that the 4 key Sweetheart Flute that I owned took. I bought the Flute new for I believe $350 dollars at a Highand Games in Archdale NC from a gentleman named Reggie that was a vendor there. He also had a small shop in Charlotte and would host Sessions. I believe he is deceased now. But I digress,so anyhow I was playing in a Pipe Band at the Event. I bought the Flute and kept it for awhile and then sold it to Dave Levine, who in turn sold it to a Doctor Friend of his. This Doctor apparently still has the Flute but has no idea as to where he put it. I'm not sure he was an active Player. Ive been in touch with him and he has assured me he will let me do a buy back if and when he ever locates the Flute .I'm thinking he has a big House with many Closets :D I'd like to message him every few months to see if he has located the Flute, but then again I don't want to hound him! :poke:
Last edited by Ben Shaffer on Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Ben Shaffer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:02 am I do remember now the path that the 4 key Sweetheart Flute that I owned took. I bought the Flute new for I believe $350 dollars at a Highand Games in Archdale NC from a gentleman named Reggie that was a vendor there. He also had a small shop in Charlotte and would host Sessions. I believe he is deceased now. But I digress,so anyhow I was playing in a Pipe Band at the Event. I bought the Flute and kept it for awhile and then sold it to Dave Levine, who in turn sold it to a Doctor Friend of his. This Doctor still has the Flute but has no idea as to where he put it. I'm not sure he was an active Player. Ive been in touch with him and he has assured me he will let me do a buy back if and when he ever locates the Flute .I'm thinking he has a big House with many Closets :D I'd like to message him every few months to see if he has located the Flute, but then again I don't want to hound him! :poke:
Just how does one "lose" a flute? Enquiring minds want to know... :boggle: :-? :lol:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:13 pm Just how does one "lose" a flute? Enquiring minds want to know... :boggle: :-? :lol:
You may understand once you reach "a certain age". I think I've mentioned here previously how one evening I carefully oiled a Delrin flute...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Steve Bliven wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:09 pm
Jayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:13 pm Just how does one "lose" a flute? Enquiring minds want to know... :boggle: :-? :lol:
You may understand once you reach "a certain age". I think I've mentioned here previously how one evening I carefully oiled a Delrin flute...

Best wishes.

Steve
haha!, this is me if you ask me the whereabouts of some of my Clarinets that I've not played in Years They are squirreled away in different areas of my House. I to have reached that certain age :D :boggle:
And truth be told this Doctor that has the 4 key Flute probably has bigger fish to fry! than looking for a Flute :poke:
BTW Oiling that Delrin Flute is there a problem? :boggle: :D
BTW again, my Young wife who is 14 years Younger than me likely could put her hands on any of those Clarinets in a few minutes :D , Maybe I should be asking the Doctors Wife where that Flute is :poke: