The FluteFling Collection - new tunebook

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The FluteFling Collection - new tunebook

Post by kenny »

Myself and two other flute players, Sharon Creasey from Dumbarton and Gordon Turnbull from Edinburgh have been organising "FluteFling" weekends of classes, talks and sessions in both Edinburgh and Aberdeen since 2014. Coronavirus put the kibosh on any teaching in person for the past 2 years, but we were not defeated ! We obtained funding from the Tasgadh small grants for traditional music awards scheme to pay 10 past tutors and guests to provide us with 10 tunes - favourite traditional, and also original compositions - for us to publish in a tune book with a specific bias towards both flute and whistle. Between us, including the 3 editors, we have an A4 size book containing 133 tunes, 44 of which are original compositions not previously published [ although a few have surfaced on "thesession.org" ]. The majority are Scottish in origin, but there is significant input from Ireland as well.
The contributors - apart from the 3 of us - are Cathal McConnell - Niall Kenny - Rebecca Knorr - Tom Oakes - Dougie Pincock
Orlaith McAuliffe - John Gahagan - Munro Gauld - Claire Mann - Davy Maguire

We are delighted to be officially launching the book at this year's Stonehaven Folk Festival [ 15 miles south of Aberdeen ] this Saturday coming, 9th July. I posted details of the launch on "thesession.org" last week - see link here : https://thesession.org/events/8759
Our entry on the festival website is here : http://www.stonehavenfolkfestival.co.uk ... y/view/142
Details of the festival - which includes a performance by "Flook" on the Friday night - can be seen here :
http://www.stonehavenfolkfestival.co.uk
From Monday 11th July, the book can be purchased via the "FluteFling" website here : http://www.flutefling.scot/

The book price is £18.00, plus £2.00 for Postage and Packaging within the UK.
We apologise for the high postage costs imposed by the UK Post Office, so because of that, sending a book outwith the UK will cost :
Europe -£23.00 - USA / Canada - £26.00 - Australia / NZ - £28.00
An alternative which will be available via the FluteFling website would be the purchase of an eBook for £10.00.

Although this is technically a "Commercial Post", any and all profits from selling the book will be used to fund future "FluteFling" activities, giving us some financial base without constantly having to resort to the lottery of funding and grant applications. Having said that, I would like to put on record our gratitude to Tasgadh, who have supported us financially in nearly all our projects up to and including this one.

Sorry about the length of this post, but this is a big venture for us. We hope some of you may be able to support us. If there are any queries, either post them here, or send me a Private Message.
Many thanks to you all, Kenny.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
plunk111

Re: The FluteFling Collection - new tunebook

Post by plunk111 »

Why not do an electronic (i.e. pdf) version and avoid postage all together?

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
an seanduine
antispam: No

Post by an seanduine »

I kind of prefer a eBook format to a pdf. I have the tools to manipulate an eBook, especially if it is in an open ePub format, to make it readable, and even annotateable on my various devices. Note to Kenny, I should hope you will use minimal DRM to facilitate the teaching value of this content. My twa pennies worth.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hi Kenny

Thanks for that. While I prefer to have the hard copy tune book the postage outside of the UK is prohibitive.
I'll be buying the EBook next week when ye go live.

Well done on all your endeavors.

John
kenny

Post by kenny »

Online sales are now up and working - sales have been coming in, including from Australia, USA, Spain, Netherlands and most pleasingly, several from Ireland. At the moment, I'm the person no-one wants to get behind in the queue at the local Post office. If anyone here has ordered a book, I'll be up to date with posting them out tomorrow morning.
http://www.flutefling.scot/
Go to the "Shop" page, 2nd from the right …. and remember, Christmas isn’t that far away 🙂
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Kenny

Just ordered my hard copy book so another trip to the Post Office for you I'm afraid :D

Thanks for all your dedication to the music.

John
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Seanie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:55 amWhile I prefer to have the hard copy tune book the postage outside of the UK is prohibitive.
It's only about £3 more (£20 UK, £23 EU, £26 USA, £28 Aus). True, a printed book is still higher than the E-book, plus I suppose any import costs imposed.

It would be nice if they could give access to the E-book without additional charge for those purchasing a printed copy. I'd love to also have it on my computer with other tunebooks.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kenny

Post by kenny »

All books purchased since we went online have now been posted, apart from the 3 which came in since I went to the Post Office a few hours ago. They will be posted tomorrow. I will pass your suggestion on for discussion, Kevin.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I'm sure there will be more orders to come.
kenny wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:51 am All books purchased since we went online have now been posted, apart from the 3 which came in since I went to the Post Office a few hours ago. They will be posted tomorrow. I will pass your suggestion on for discussion, Kevin.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I love having the old and new tunes connected to, and collected as played by, contemporary fluters. It grounds the music within a culture and gives the tunes depth. Like Bernard Flaherty's book, Trip to Sligo, we learn something about the people who play the tunes.
High praise for Kenny and for the team that put the book together.
Thanks.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
kenny

Post by kenny »

Peter Saunders filmed quite a lot of the performance section of the launch and has posted the first clip on his Youtube channel - see link below. The three of us play the Scottish 9/8 jig "The Favourite Dram" together - I realised when I saw it that we had never played the tune together in public, hadn't even practiced it beforehand, and that we hadn't played together at all for over 2 years. It is what it is. Starts at 4 mins. "The Favourite Dram" is in the book, chosen by Claire Mann. Sharon plays a couple of tunes to follow, she introduces them herself.
https://youtu.be/hz1ZhR-oX1w
After a trip to the Post Office this morning, I will be up-to-date up-to-date with dispatches. All books should be arriving with purchasers soon.
I reckon we're getting towards the point of breaking even, one week after going on-line, and two weeks after the launch. Many thanks to you all for your support.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

So, with Kenny now able to put his feet up after posting off the initial rush, to what extent would we be right in seeing this venture as a bit of history-in-the-making?

I note:
- it's flautogenetic (without necessarily limiting its interest to other players)
- the majority are Scottish in origin but with significant input from Ireland as well
- it draws contributions from a range of particularly well respected and experienced group of tutors, guests and organisers
- it's attracted financial support from the relevant authority
- it's well on the way to international distribution a few weeks after launch and,
- it was all achieved within the confines of a global pandemic.

What should this lot do for an encore?
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Kenny

Book arrived safely this morning. :thumbsup:

Cheers

John
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hi John - glad the book arrived safely. Any favourite tunes from it ? I myself have found quite a few new [ to me ] Scottish traditional reels and strathspeys. A strange thing happened too. Cathal McConnell contributed 3 of his own jigs, very unusual tunes, and especially so since he wrote them specifically to encourage familiarity with the use of the Eb key. I've listened to them many times over the years, [ track #1 on CD#2 of "Wooden Flute Obsession" Vol.1 ]but had never been motivated to learn them, but when I sat down with a couple of friends on evenings in the past 2 weeks, we've gone through some of the tunes in the book, and I've suddenly taken a liking to them. They are such "eccentric" tunes that I think you would have to play them together as a set. You should give them a try, but you will need an Eb key. If the link works below, here they are on Youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8sCAyvWYpI

Book is on its' way to you Terry. Should arrive soon if it hasn't already. What do we do for an encore ? There are a few options which occur to me.
First and foremost, we need to get the "FluteFling" weekends back up and running, so that will be the immediate priority.
We are thinking about an event similar to the launch, possibly in Edinburgh, by the end of the year. These two events could be combined.
I don't know if it would be possible, but I would love to see companion CD recordings based on the book. We could either have a single CD with a medley track each from all 13 contributors, or - let's just go totally tonto here - a double CD containing all 133 tunes. This would need serious funding from somewhere, but it may not be totally out of the question. It would also require a lot of time and effort from we 3 and the other contributors, and seeing the time it's taken us just to do the book, I think it would be too much to take on at the moment. But in the long term, who knows ? I'm thinking a' the time :)
A' the best, Kenny
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A little while ago Kenny very kindly offered to send me a copy of the book. For a while I checked the postbox in vain. Yesterday Kenny sent a PM to say the book had been returned to sender for some dark and mysterious reason and that he had just sent it again. This morning at 9.15, as I was making my way into the drizzle of a very 'soft' West Clare day to go to Kilrush, I heard the postwoman's van and the rattle of the postbox. A safe arrival!

I have just returned from 'doing the messages', as they say and had a bit of a browse through the book. My first impression is of a well produced and laid out book. Sometimes you get a tunebook and all the tune settings are slightly off, you wouldn't play them as printed. Not so here, a quick run through a random-ish selection of tunes revealed settings that sit well straight from the page, this clearly is a player's collection. Leafing through I even spotted a tune I got off Mary and Andrew McNamara some five years ago but never had a name for. I have now (I ne'er shall wean her) so that's one blank filled in. Nothing but praise, no nits to pick.

Thanks to Kenny for sending me a copy and thanks to the whole team for putting this together. :thumbsup:
My brain hurts