Murray dimensions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flutulator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Murray dimensions

Post by Flutulator »

I have a Murray from 2007 that love, but am considering switching things up and adding a flute by some other maker.

Wh[ere do Murray flutes fit on the spectrum of bore diameter? Based on how cozy they feel to play, I'd guess they are relatively narrow? Or maybe they have thinner walls than comparable flutes?

How about size of the holes? Medium? Large?

I would prefer to do the research myself, but in the era of coronavirus that's a lot more difficult. Thanks!
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
Conical bore

Re: Murray dimensions

Post by Conical bore »

For tone hole size, you could measure your flute's #4 (RH index finger) tone hole, and use this page from the Olwell flute site as a rough guide for small, medium, and large holes: https://www.olwellflutes.com/post/a-tax ... den-flutes

I'm not sure we have a universal standard for this, some like to use the #5 hole instead but that Olwell page will at least give you a rough idea of where your current flute sits. I don't know if there is an equivalent way to compare flute bores, maybe someone else will fill that in.
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Re: Murray dimensions

Post by Flutulator »

Thanks! Definitely large, or on the large-ish side of medium. Does this put it more in the Rudall-Carte flavor of things?
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)