Request: More info on the flute I just bought

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TxWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Request: More info on the flute I just bought

Post by TxWhistler »

A little background: Just a short while ago I wanted to see if I could play the flute so I ordered a very cheap plastic one. Lo and behold I found out that I can actually play it and enjoy doing so. I had doubts due to my 64 year old hands sometimes give me problems.

I've been on the look out for a decent wooden flute when I stumbled upon the one I just bought. I rolled the dice and decided to go for it even though I am very uneducated in flutes like this. (I can say that the saying my dad used to tell me kept sounding in my head - A fool and his money are soon parted! :o )

It was described to be a German 19th century flute that has been overhauled by Charles Miller of Priory Woodwind Repairs in North Yorkshire. It looks to have had a couple of cracks repaired and the keys look to have new cork and pads and new cork on the tenons. The seller couldn't tell me if it played LP or current day A440 or sharp.

Any further info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't have it yet so all I have are 10 pictures of it. I will only post a few so as to not make this post too long. I'll post more of them as needed for identification.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Request: More info on the flute I just bought

Post by Nanohedron »

Does it have any identifying marks like a stamp? When you get the flute, let us know.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm Does it have any identifying marks like a stamp?
Not to my knowledge. None given in the description. The pictures I have don't show one either but it may be that you can see one when held in your hands.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

TxWhistler wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:21 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm Does it have any identifying marks like a stamp?
Not to my knowledge. None given in the description. The pictures I have don't show one either but it may be that you can see one when held in your hands.
If there is one, that will go a long way in helping us to make heads or tails. On first glance, the flute is definitely of German style.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
TxWhistler

Post by TxWhistler »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:23 pm
If there is one, that will go a long way in helping us to make heads or tails. On first glance, the flute is definitely of German style.
Hopefully when I get it I will be able to provide better info for id. I was hoping that the shape of the metal end pieces or the shape of the key work would give a hint as to what it is.
TxWhistler

Post by TxWhistler »

Here's the write up to it and by the way it is located in the UK.

Antique German Wooden Flute.Fully overhauled by Charles Miller at Priory Woodwind Repairs.Approx 647 mm long.Sounding length approx 571mm.All new pads and corks.In excellent playing condition.Postage via Royal Mail special delivery.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You'd usually find a Sounding Length of about 580-585 mm for A=440.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
TxWhistler

Post by TxWhistler »

kkrell wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm You'd usually find a Sounding Length of about 580-585 mm for A=440.
Thanks kkrell for the information!

So, if I'm thinking correctly that would make this flute play sharp to our modern pitch of 440?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I started playing with one of these flutes - it worked but I soon upgraded to a better flute. I think you would have been better off buying a keyless flute from a local maker.
TxWhistler

Post by TxWhistler »

Gromit wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am I started playing with one of these flutes - it worked but I soon upgraded to a better flute. I think you would have been better off buying a keyless flute from a local maker.
Luckily I didn't pay much for this keyed one. Time will tell if it will meet my needs or should I say wants.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Looks like a nach Meyer. As alluded to above, they tend to play best in tune a bit sharp of A440. The sound can vary all over the place, but the good ones can be really nice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
TxWhistler

Post by TxWhistler »

Update:

I think I lucked out on the purchase. I received the flute about 2 weeks ago. There were no makers stamps or markings on the flute so it is as you all said an "Anonymous Nach Meyer".

As was suspected, when the tuning slide is pulled out 5 to 8mm, the flute plays sharp. I have played around with it and when the slide is pulled out about 17mm the first octave up to G in the second octave plays nicely at A440. Beginning at G and going up the rest of the second octave (a,b & c#) all are somewhat sharp. I adjusted the head cork out further from the embouchure hole and that brought all those notes to just a few cents sharp (as far as I can tell by ear and tuner).

I'm quite happy with it and having a blast playing it.

Here is a short clip of me attempting a little bit of "Hole in the Hedge". I know I have a long way to go with breath control, improving my embouchure for better tone, and playing the phrases more smoothly (just to mention a few of my shortfalls). However, 4 weeks ago as of today I had never even tried to blow a note on a flute. And before May of last year when I started learning the whistle, I had not tried to play any instrument. As a youngster I choose sports over music and have regretted it ever since.

https://soundcloud.com/user-23598551/na ... edge-mp3-1
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Congratulations.
You may already be aware of this, but here's my two cents worth.
Playing against a drone is one way to help improve your intonation. Long tones, arpeggios, slow tunes, slow dance tunes, whatever. This will strengthen both your ear and your embouchure.
Here are some excellent drone files:https://app.box.com/s/awchk1g8h52txyzllosu
They are from Lesl Harker's Webpage. She's an excellent Teacher and friend to the Traditional Music World.
Strap on yer earphones and play against the D and the A and the G files.
Good Luck.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
TxWhistler

Post by TxWhistler »

Thanks for the encouragement and the drone files an seanduine!