Hotteterre copy. Now with photo

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fsharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

Hotteterre copy. Now with photo

Post by fsharp »

Hello, I have just acquired a couple of traversos. One is a generic late 18th century model with a brass key, and the other looks like a copy of an Hotteterre, with a blackwood body and the typical Hotteterre joint, cap and footjoint in boxwood, It's a beautiful instrument, but it seems a little short measuring 363mm Would this be because it is 440 rather than 392? Any other ideas gratefully received.
On second thoughts, it looks like a cross between a Hotteterre and a Rippert
I'll be receiving the instruments next week, but I can supply a photo if anyone would tell me how to insert one from my desktop
Last edited by fsharp on Sat May 01, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"is it about a bicycle"?
skap
Tell us something.: My area of interest is baroque one-keyed flutes, I have found some useful information on this forum: it seems that many users own baroque flutes.

Re: Hotteterre copy

Post by skap »

The Hotteterre flute is about 650mm long. Couldn't it be a baroque piccolo a=392Hz ? Something like this one: https://www.flutes-melzer.com/piccolo.jpg
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.

Post by fsharp »

That looks more like the proportions. I receive the flutes sometime next week. Do you know how to post a picture?
Harry
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

Thanks Skap for your reply. The end cap of my flute looks a little too ornate compared to Hotteterre instruments. Do you know of any other makers contemporaneous with Hotteterre who made piccolos?
thanks,
Harry
"is it about a bicycle"?
skap
Tell us something.: My area of interest is baroque one-keyed flutes, I have found some useful information on this forum: it seems that many users own baroque flutes.

Post by skap »

As I understand, there are no surviving piccolos from that period. The picture in my link must be a scaled down copy of the big flute. Martin Wenner's piccolo is designed as a small Hotteterre flute (when at a=392Hz) according to his website (https://www.wennerfloeten.de/en/product ... r-piccolo/), but there are no pictures of this particular version.
He could probably improvise with the end cap, since it's not really a copy, and other makers could have the same approach.

It would be interesting to see the photo, of course. You can use a free image hosting service (normally no registration needed, just google "free image hosting" and use the first one that comes up), upload your image there and the service will generate a link that you can copy-paste here. Regards. Alex
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

It won't let me upload the picture as it's a JFiF file, but I converted it. I'm sorry but I'm getting more and more dense with regard to technology every day!!
Last edited by fsharp on Sat May 01, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

Last edited by fsharp on Sun May 02, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

A bit torturous, but I managed to convert the fileImagehttps://ibb.co/4W1D7x0
"is it about a bicycle"?
skap

Re: Hotteterre copy. Now with photo

Post by skap »

Thanks for sharing the picture, Harry. Looks beautiful, indeed. I hope you will give more details when you receive the instrument (eventual pitch, any clues about the maker/year).
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

I received the flute today and it appears to be an apprentice piece. It is indeed very well made, it plays a little flatter than A440, and the intonation isn't too bad except for the upper reaches of the second octave. I've found that the foot has to be extended about 1cm to help its intonation. The cork position is adjustable which may help.
I will sell it on as an ornament/project, as it may be worth the effort to someone who has the right tools and inclination
"is it about a bicycle"?
skap

Post by skap »

Hmm... The length of 363mm must be a typo then. Or is it an F flute ? (But the fingering chart in the photo is for a D flute). What is the real length ?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

The total length is 635mm. I have listed it on Ebay along with the other flute.
"is it about a bicycle"?