Sticking C Key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sticking C Key

Post by Hoovorff »

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix a sticking key? The C key on my 6-key John Gallagher Rudall is staying open when I press the key. I've never had any trouble with any of the keys for nearly 10 years.....

Thanks for any tips, Jeanie
bradhurley

Re: Sticking C Key

Post by bradhurley »

Often simply cleaning the key will do the trick. You need to remove the key (I assume you know how to do that) and then just give it a good cleaning with a cloth or even your fingernail to scrape off any deposits that may have built up on the key. Put it back on and see if that fixes it; 8 times out of 10 that's all that's needed. If it's still sticking, it may be that the blocks have warped a bit (assuming you have a block-mounted flute) and you might have to remove a tiny bit of wood inside by running very fine sandpaper inside the slot. But I'd view that as a last resort, because if you remove too much wood the key will be wiggly and you definitely don't want that.
wolftune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by wolftune »

I had a few keys sticking open and only slowly closing on my Prowse. Jon Cornia told me to make sure it was stored in a humid environment and try it out again. I did (70% humidity) and it it fixed it. Worth a shot if the cleaning doesn't work (before removing wood).
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

I'm not sure how to remove the key. I've removed the E-flat key on my baroque flute--it has a little hook at the end of the metal piece that holds the key, so I was able to pull that to remove the key. But this block-mounted key just has a tiny little piece of metal sticking out both ends of the block.....Any tips on that?

I'll try the humidifying trick, too. (Though I did have a humidifying device in the plastic box where I keep the flute/case.)
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Use a small paper clip to push it out a little and then grab it with some needle-nose pliers. I have a John Gallagher, too, and I remove the keys every year or so and clean out the blocks using a toothpick. I wouldn't use anything but wood against the wood, personally. This has always cleared up any stickiness for me.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Having pulled the key off and cleaned any gunk on key, spring, slot and the metal plate the tip of the spring bears upon, put a touch of cork grease or other lubricant on the tip of the spring before reassembling. The tip of the spring slides a little as the key is released, and friction here can slow its return. (This assumes the traditional flat spring approach has been used.)
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Thanks, all! I was able to jiggle the little pin--never could get it to come all the way out. But, that seemed to do the trick. The C key is now working fine. I hope it continues!