Matt Molloy, flute player

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemmoore
antispam: No

Matt Molloy, flute player

Post by jemmoore »

In November of 2011, Blayne Chastain and I had the opportunity to go to Ireland for 10 days to film flute players for our documentary, “The Keymaster: Patrick Olwell’s Story”. We met and interviewed 14 flute players, traveled over 1,000Km, and had one of the most memorable trips of our lives.

One highlight of our trip was getting to meet, and interview, Matt Molloy of The Chieftans, at his pub in Westport, County Mayo. Matt was very gracious, and even stood us to a pint of Guinness. His stories about Pat and his flutes kept us entertained, and at the end Blayne got to have his Olwell played by Matt as they shared a few tunes. An incredible experience all around...

I hope you enjoy watching and listening, and if you do, please visit our Vimeo link https://vimeo.com/ondemand/keymaster to watch the trailer. “The Keymaster: Patrick Olwell’s Story” is available there as a download, or on DVD and Blu-ray from irishflutestore.com

https://youtu.be/R2v1t6jS8zc
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: Matt Molloy, flute player

Post by Akiba »

Mr. Matt Molloy is the KING.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Great stuff. Does anyone know the name of the jig he plays at the very end, after a stór mo chroi?
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

'The Keymaster' is a truly wonderful film! I've watched it many times now. Great flutemaker, great flute players and great flute music. Inspiring!

V
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Brad, it's on "Dublin Made Me" and they call it Paddy Killoran's. I don't believe I have a recording of Paddy Killoran playing it. I'd say it's related to all the tunes in the Cullen or Humours of Glynn family...

Track 6 https://thesession.org/recordings/3265
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

Thanks for the kind words about our film, I'm just glad that folks are enjoying it, and that the story is out there. All the great music is a bonus!
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Jem: thank you so very much for sharing your excellent film and the experiences that you had.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

NicoMoreno wrote:Brad, it's on "Dublin Made Me" and they call it Paddy Killoran's. I don't believe I have a recording of Paddy Killoran playing it. I'd say it's related to all the tunes in the Cullen or Humours of Glynn family...
Thanks! I knew it sounded familiar (I have that album, but only listened to it once or twice).
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

Superb footage! The playing and the interviews. Up close, personal, candid, adds so much to understanding the music and where the artist is coming from in their interpretation!
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.