post surgery embouchure exercises

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
janmarie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

post surgery embouchure exercises

Post by janmarie »

HI fluters. Maybe you can give me some ideas for embouchure exercises to do without the flute. I had an extraction with bone graft yesterday. I was told I couldn't [ play my flute for one week.
Having flute withdrawal symptoms! All thoughts much appreciated,
Janmarie
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: post surgery embouchure exercises

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Jan sorry to hear about it.

You can exercise by doing cyclic OOOOOOO, EEEEEEEEEE.......

Helps build your embouchure.

Speedy Recovery!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I've gone through extractions, and also implants (no cadaver bone graft needed, though). I don't think your surgeon only means playing the flute, but probably anything LIKE playing the flute (so exercises etc. that simulate it). Personally, I'd leave the area alone for 1-2 weeks as per typical dental surgeon instruction sheet. Also, remember, no spitting or sucking a straw.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

One week is nothing. I'd just kick back, relax, do what the doctor says, and let the healing take its proper course. One week is not going to compromise your embouchure, so don't compromise your health.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

Sorry to hear that Janmarie!
I will have to go through the same thing in the relatively near future.
Nanohedron wrote:One week is nothing. I'd just kick back, relax, do what the doctor says, and let the healing take its proper course. One week is not going to compromise your embouchure, so don't compromise your health.
This is the best advice, especially if it was a maxillary (upper) molar you had extracted.
janmarie

Post by janmarie »

Good thoughts, well taken. Thanks
janmarie

Post by janmarie »

OOOOing and Eeeeeing but miss being in that wonderful flute tone. Good luck to you Monkeymuck! The idea of cadaver bone in my mouth is freaky. Hope whoever it was was a great fluter,lol!
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

This is not a front tooth is it?
janmarie

Post by janmarie »

No, thank heavens! #19 to be exact, bottom on left toward the back.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Thank heavens is right! I am going through this right now and the reason I didn't respond to your post earlier was that my experience has been much harder and I didn't want to be discouraging. With me it is my front tooth and I have not been able to play for about six months now and I am not sure I will ever be able to form a proper embouchure again.

I am glad to hear you will be able to play again. I am sure it will work out well although you are probably very keen to get back to it.

Take care!
janmarie

Post by janmarie »

Thank you and I so so hope it works out for you "kmag" !
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I've had it with an upper incisor and later with major bone graft following an infection of the implant... Really, just sit it out is the best way... The air flow dries out the wound and circulates bacteria etc. And the movement give bacteria more opportunity to get in. Let it heal over cleanly and in peace. Play an electronic bagpipe (fagerstrom technopipes) or learn piano for a week or two.

and @kmag - you will be able to form an embouchure again - the tooth site needs to calm down and heal and then get back to trying... I was able to play during a phase where I had a hole where the upper right incisor should have been. I probably shouldn't have, but... I've also had a face like half a rabbit with an abscess on an upper left 2 incisor etc. Its' all kacka, but it does go away with the right professional help.

Caveat: I am not a medical professional, but I do play flute...