Terry McGee 6 keys Pratten's Perfected flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Leonard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Terry McGee 6 keys Pratten's Perfected flute for sale

Post by Leonard »

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Wooden-Iris ... 2c9adb92d0

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Wooden-Iris ... 2c9adb92d0

Hi all!

I'm selling my McGee!

It's the perfect Pratten flute. All the power, but the smallest stretch I've never encounter. It's also a very versatile flute. Able of sweet hollow sound as well of the barking irish sound. Like all McGee flutes, the key work is outstanding. The touchs are very easy to reach and its also strong.

Feel free to ask questions!
Last edited by Leonard on Mon May 11, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: Terry McGee 6 keys Pratten's Perfected flute for sale

Post by Feadoggie »

Leonard wrote:It's the perfect Pratten flute.
Robert Sydney, Hudson or Boosey & Co. might have an argument with that. Why would they have called it and trademarked it as the Pratten's Perfected flute otherwise.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

Hi Leonard,

Are the the original owner of the McGee?

I've been getting comfortable with my Paul Davies (formerly) owned Boosey Siccama flute and finally think I'd like to go back to a conventional open hole flute.

If you have a soundclip, it'd be great to hear its balance across the three octaves :)

Kind regards
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Hi Feadoggie!

Nice observation. I would let Mr McGee explain why he named this model like so:

R.S. Pratten's Perfected, after a flute by Boosey & Co, London. I picked up the original (No 8626) in a Sydney antique shop in 1972 for AUD $25. Developed in the 1850's as a response to Boehm's new cylinder flute, this flute has the largest holes and has become a legend among flute players for its big tone. The six finger holes are all on the central section, which is longer than usual, permitting the g# key (when fitted) to be ideally placed. The single piece body does not permit the fine adjustment to rotation between the left and right hand which the extra body section of other flutes would allow.
This style of flute would suit the professional or very serious session player, looking for the ultimate in power.

I agree with this description in matter of stretch vs sound. Actually, this flute produces more sound than the Hamilton I played before, while having a much smaller stretch. Since it's also versatile instrument, I would easily call it the perfect Pratten flute... for me anyway!

Yes Tonehole, I'm the first and only owner of the flute. It was made for me in 2008. The flute has no damage at all, is in perfect shape, and plays as well as it always did.

I'll have a sound clip to post soon.

Leo
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

To be sure there is so mistake about pictures... (the last one is from Mr McGee's site), here's a picture of the flute I put on sale.

Leonard

Post by Leonard »

https://youtu.be/ZoHuk0OIlHQ

Here's a video of me playing the flute.

The image is not good but the sound is.

Leo
Hup
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Hup »

Love that tune! Is it Quebecois?
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Yes! It's le Bonhomme et la Bonnefemme ( The old man and the old woman)
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

Beautiful flute! Interesting Eb key design. Was that a custom request?
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Yes the Eb key were custom made by Mr Mcgee. I used to play with my right pinky standing on the flute and often fund the Eb touchs too close to the D hole on other flutes. So Mr Mcgee customed it to be a little bit further from the D hole. The touch is bigger so its very easy to reach. And it suited most players who tried it.
Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

Thanks Leonard!

I think I'm more out of the know about the Prattens Perfected. What was perfected, over the original Siccama toneholes, which corrected notes A & E.....are the toneholes of the Prattens Perfected larger than the original Siccama on which it was based? Or does the Perfected refer to perfecting the problems with the original Pratten design? Terry's description from 1972 is older than most of us ..maybe a more up to date view would clarify :)

Love the keywork of your McGee flute! It is one of the more ergonomic innovating keyworks which looks like it really does work!
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Hi Tonehole,

I wouldn't attempt to describe what was actually perfected in the Pratten's Model. On Mr McGee's website, I suggest to read the different topics Under PRATTEN FLUTE HISTORY http://mcgee-flutes.com/index.html

About the keywork. It's simply the best I've never had in my hands. The touchs, curved upward, are very easy to reach. Especially the long F ans G#, that are the often the most difficult to deal with. Here, they simply get right under my pinky. And the curved touchs make them unmissable.
EoinC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by EoinC »

Hi Leonard,

What's your reason for selling the flute?

Eoin.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Hi EoinC,

The reason for selling: I've got an Olwell a year ago (after a 7 years wait!!!). And I can't affort to keep, play and take care of two super flutes like these. I kept playing/oiling the McGee regularly to keep it top shape. But it's now time to let it go. This was a hard decision!

Leo
Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

Thanks Leonard. I confess I'm familiar with Terry's pages but I'm not technically minded and don't really understand what he's trying to say about the Perfected without getting lost.

Can you measure the diameter of the 5th (ring finger) hole, and the distance to the short F key (upper edge)?