Convert flute in odd keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Stretto
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Convert flute in odd keys

Post by Stretto »

I'm new to the flute. I have a modern concert flute.

The guys I play with tune down a half step. This seems to make it hard to play on a C flute. Are there any tricks to be able to tune the flute so I can play it in a more simple key?

I'm trying to learn to play in Ebm and it's kinda tricky to me compared to C. Specially the Gb and F notes as I get a noticable break between them because they have to alternate, at least that's what I figured out... not sure if it's right.

I figured I could modify the flute to automatically hold some keys down but I don't like this hack.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Convert flute in odd keys

Post by Peter Duggan »

Stretto wrote:Are there any tricks to be able to tune the flute so I can play it in a more simple key?
In a word, no.
I'm trying to learn to play in Ebm and it's kinda tricky to me compared to C. Specially the Gb and F notes as I get a noticable break between them because they have to alternate, at least that's what I figured out... not sure if it's right.
It's a simple cross-fingering (alternation if you like) that you should be able to get perfectly legato with practice, and probably actually one of the easier things about playing in Eb minor.
I figured I could modify the flute to automatically hold some keys down but I don't like this hack.
It won't work (all kinds of consequences beyond the notes you're trying to rig).

Since you've also just started another topic with 'I am not a flute player', it sounds like you're just attempting things you're not ready for here. In which case patience and a good grounding will do you more good than any amount of dreaming and scheming.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Not saying it's definitely the case, but they might be tuning down for the purpose of excluding sub-par players... :poke:

Just a thought. I haven't heard your playing, and it's not geared towards you. I'm far from being great at flute yet myself, and maybe they do just like playing a half step flat. I know groups of people who genuinely enjoy playing a half step sharp just for the added brightness, not for the exclusion factor. But, people do indeed do this sometimes to exclude people that they don't want ruining the vibe. I mean, there might be a reason they choose C# and not C or D.

If you are really set on it, as was mentioned above, you might need to just be patient and learn to play in that key. Having a C# body made for your flute would also work, and I imagine a keyless one would be affordable.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Sirchronique wrote:Not saying it's definitely the case, but they might be tuning down for the purpose of excluding sub-par players...
Is there any other reason?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

And I once considered it annoying to have to switch whistles. Well, I guess tonal mobility is something...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Guys, guys, I may be wrong and the OP isn't clear, but I think s/he means s/he has a Böhm flute....... If I'm right, most of the responses thus far (perfectly good for our simple system toots) won't make sense to him/her.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jemtheflute wrote:Guys, guys, I may be wrong and the OP isn't clear
Thought it was perfectly clear myself...
but I think s/he means s/he has a Böhm flute
And that was exactly the premise on which I answered!
If I'm right, most of the responses thus far
So hoping you've not misread mine?

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Chose my words carefully, Peter - "most"!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Stretto in another current thread wrote:I am not a flute player but bought a cheap selmer FL300 band flute to see how I like it and to get started(I am interested in building flutes but figured I should at least have something as a reference) .
I thought it was pretty clear too. And I didn't think the thread had actually jumped the track. Peter's response was certainly clear to me.

Perhaps this remark was a bit vague.
Sirchronique wrote:Having a C# body made for your flute would also work, and I imagine a keyless one would be affordable.
Still I took that to mean a keyless body for the Boehm head. I could be wrong.

Stretto, since you aspire towards flute making, now is your chance. Make a pvc flute in the flat key. Put the ball back in your mates' court. See if they change tuning again. That's an all too frequent tactic, as has been suggested.

But at the end of the day, take a deep breath and get on with starting the long journey of learning how to play your flute.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

jemtheflute wrote:Chose my words carefully, Peter - "most"!
Ah, but see I saw four responses, with mine followed by Sirchronique's curious reference to the C# body (which I can fit to your warning) then s1m0n's and Madman's (which maybe go off at slight tangents and I'm not sure I can). So 'most' was an interesting concept here!
Sirchronique wrote:Not saying it's definitely the case, but they might be tuning down for the purpose of excluding sub-par players...
Feadoggie wrote:Put the ball back in your mates' court. See if they change tuning again. That's an all too frequent tactic, as has been suggested.
FWIW, I was also assuming that Stretto was playing with these guys by mutual agreement. So put the interesting pitch standard down to some reason other than deliberate exclusion, and rather thought Stretto (+ band?) just a little impatient/over-ambitious.

Master of nine?
Stretto

Post by Stretto »

I thought I already posted a reply explaining the tuning but I guess not.

Tuning down a half step is very common in most bands because it makes it easier to for the vocalist. (after all, even in jazz many instruments are in flat keys)

I am using a "concert Böhm style flute" or whatever you want to call it. It is fully chromatic but to play in anything but C requires more complex finger motions. In Ebm, I have to list 3 fingers simultaneously to go from Ab to Bb. Not a huge deal but because this is a constant in that key(will always be the case unless I want to play some chromatic notes in between), it because somewhat repetitive.

I can modify the springs on some keys to keep them shut all the time... not a great solution.

In any case, after playing with the key a little it is becoming more natural and possibly not a huge deal. In the long run it will be best to keep my options open in case I want to play chromatic anyways.

While we could tune up to play in Em or even tune down to Cm, this is not much of an option. Been too long playing in this tuning to worry about changing.

At some point I might try and build a flute for these keys. I really like the Böhm flute in regards to easy of playability, tonality, and the ability to get the full chromatic scale(the biggest problem I'm having is being able to consistently get a (good) tone... not sure how much of it is due to the cheap flute vs inexperience).
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

On the Boehm system, when playing Bflat consistently, I just use the Bflat thumb key instead of the B natural key with R1 finger down to make Bflat. Makes life a lot easier. Eflat minor is a bit tricky, mainly with the F, Gflat, Aflat, Bflat, but it's not the worst key. A bit of slow, concentrated, mindful practice over time should make it pretty fluid.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Feadoggie wrote:
Perhaps this remark was a bit vague.
Sirchronique wrote:Having a C# body made for your flute would also work, and I imagine a keyless one would be affordable.
Still I took that to mean a keyless body for the Boehm head. I could be wrong.

Feadoggie

I must be confused here. I assumed that the OP was playing a D Irish Flute... somehow I missed that they were playing some other type of flute. By "modern" flute I thought they were referring to an Irish flute made by a modern maker. I guess I read it too quickly when my mind was tired.

What I had originally meant by my comment, is that it would work to have a keyless C# body made for a D (or C) Irish flute, by the maker, as it would make it easy to play a half step flat, as they could just play as they would on a D flute and it would automatically transpose. I guess if they aren't playing the same type of flute I thought they meant, my advice doesn't apply, then! :oops:
apossibleworld
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by apossibleworld »

There were many Boehm flutes made in the 1920s in the key of Db, a half step sharp of concert. You'd have to transpose by a whole step, which should be simpler than what you're doing now, for most keys. Or jump ship completely and get a baroque flute in 415, which will be completely in tune with people who tune down a half step!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

apossibleworld wrote:There were many Boehm flutes made in the 1920s in the key of Db, a half step sharp of concert. You'd have to transpose by a whole step, which should be simpler than what you're doing now, for most keys. Or jump ship completely and get a baroque flute in 415, which will be completely in tune with people who tune down a half step!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums