What is this flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

What is this flute?

Post by Sirchronique »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-FLUTE-W ... 43ca47f532

Anyone have information on what this is supposed to be? It looks like a keyed baseball bat.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What is this flute?

Post by s1m0n »

My bet's on some sort of shawm. I see no embouchure hole, so I suspect we can rule out the flute family, yet that does seem to be a fairly standard 6 key simple system layout. A pre-boehm system oboe seems likeliest. I expect there's a missing mouthpiece for a double reed. Those look like nickle-silver keys, rather than sterling, so it's likely a bandsman's or student grade instrument. Don't pay a lot for it if you buy.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Pity we can't see the reed seat. Building on Sim0n's guess, I think it might be a Piccolo Heckelphone. If it is it is a very rare bird indeed. The wikipedia article hasn't any photos but states: The instrument is built in one section with a detachable bell, and has simple-system German fingering. The keywork and the distinctive heckelphone bell may be diagnostic. The instrument was pitched in Eb, which would be roughly approximate to the fourteen inch length given. Only fourteen were made. Richard Strauss wrote scores for it. If it has a serial number, this can be verified by Heckelphone, Gbmh.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

There's a photo of a piccolo heckelphone in Woodwind Instruments and their History by Anthony Baines, and it doesn't look the same. (The heckelphone's bulbous bell is shorter/more 'spherically' differentiated) and it has more typical oboe-/clarinet-style keywork with some ring keys.)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I found a catalog picture of a piccolo Heckelphone on a defunct Geo pages site (Reo-city project) but it does not appear to be modeled on an actual instrument. Hmm. This whachumacallit is short enough to be in either F or Eb. The same seller has a simple system oboe thingy for sale, about eighteen inches in length, also stamped "made in Germany". Could be from the same trove. I don't think it is a musette or piccolo oboe.
Both are German simple system. :-?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Hmmn. Scanning google images for "Piccolo Heckelphon" yields the following pics, which don't look too dissimilar:

And

They're from a page devoted to a hungarian instrument called a tarogato or taragot. The keywork on both examples is more complex than on strument "X", though.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Another possibility is the Catalonian Shawm family.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

These are a type of French Folk Oboe, in G usually.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:There's a photo of a piccolo heckelphone in Woodwind Instruments and their History by Anthony Baines, and it doesn't look the same. (The heckelphone's bulbous bell is shorter/more 'spherically' differentiated) and it has more typical oboe-/clarinet-style keywork with some ring keys.)
Piccolo heckelphone (from Baines):

And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Casey what are the dimensions for G? Instrument X is approx 14 inches which puts it squarely in the range of Eb to F. The shawm known as El Tible can be in F. What throws me is the onion-bulb on the end as opposed to a flared bell. . . .plus the size of all the pictures of the Cobles on line show them using much larger instruments. One article says there are a variety of El Tible from Valencia as well, but with no description. They mention a Xirimita, but this sounds too old fashioned and primitive to have the key work. Apparently there is a lot of variations from province to province and village to village. :boggle:

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
gothicoboist

Post by gothicoboist »

Definitely just a simple piccolo oboe/musette (not to be confused with the musette du cour which is of course the seventeenth and eighteenth century French bagpipe.). Wikipedia knows all http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oboe_musette
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Very good. So this is an ancestor to the current conservatory model piccolo oboe as made by F.Lorée.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Yes, it's a musette. I have one just like it. Neat little thing.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

apossibleworld, you have piqued my curiosity. Can you describe the reed and staple arrangement your musette uses? Does your instrument appear to play best at Eb or F? And at the same time can you judge what pitch standard it was originaly set at? L.P, H.P.,
or some other variant? Does it readily blow an octave, or does it need the use of a register or vent key?
An instrument such as yours has been suggested as a possible precursor to the uilleann chanter and I would like more information if possible.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I have seen those things marketed as "children's oboes" over here.