new Northwind case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

new Northwind case

Post by tin tin »

My Copley & Boegli flute just turned ten years old this month, which seemed like as good an occasion as any to upgrade my case. The new case by Northwind is beautiful and effective, and my measurements turned out to be accurate (phew)--it's a perfect fit! Not very visible in the picture is the wonderfully made Altieri case cover, which provides additional insulation, portability, and a pocket for cork grease, cleaning rod, etc. I also had a Humistat humidifier and hygrometer installed, since I live in a very dry climate.

Price was about 15% of the cost of the flute, which is a lot more than the pistol case I was using before, but the new case is a better aesthetic match to its contents, offering function and form.

All in all, it's a wonderful set, and both Northwind and Altieri provided excellent customer service.

And in case you're wondering, the embouchure insert is mother of pearl, installed about two years ago (the first--only?--one Dave has done), and it plays great!
Last edited by tin tin on Wed May 28, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
klandfors

Re: new Northwind case

Post by klandfors »

The pic link isn't working!
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Curious, it was working for me. I've rehosted it, so I hope it shows up now.
nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

Looks cozy! How do you specify the recesses for keys?
tin tin

Post by tin tin »

nohoval_turrets wrote:Looks cozy! How do you specify the recesses for keys?
Northwind asked for a specific set of measurements and photos and figured it all out from that. The flute never left my hands. I must have measured everything at least three times, though, because that system puts quite a bit of pressure on the measurer, but when the case arrived yesterday, everything popped right into place. The precision is quite remarkable: one example visible in the photo is the cut-out in the lid edge for the top of the G# key.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I would think all that velvet and such just sucks up any moisture you might have in the humidifier knob.

Northwind makes fabulous cases.

why not share the contact info, eh?
tin tin

Post by tin tin »

RudallRose wrote:I would think all that velvet and such just sucks up any moisture you might have in the humidifier knob.
That could well be...I'll let you know if I ever have to wring it out. :wink: But humidity around the flute is humidity, no? (Even if it's not specifically in the air.) And the thing is designed to be used in instrument cases, which tend to be velvet lined. Seems to work for plenty of people: http://www.humistat.com/Humistat_Testimonials.htm
RudallRose wrote:why not share the contact info, eh?
http://www.northwindcases.com/
http://altieribags.com/
http://www.humistat.com/
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Looks great!
What timber is your flute made of? Cocus? Or Mopane that has darkened? Other.. ? :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
tin tin

Post by tin tin »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:Looks great!
What timber is your flute made of? Cocus? Or Mopane that has darkened? Other.. ? :)
Apparently, I get to make every other post in this thread... :oops:
The wood is mopane. The photo was taken with a flash, so that's what it looks like under bright light. Normally, it looks more like my avatar pic: very dark brown. The flute has been very stable over the last decade, and that's having lived in several diverse climates--cold, hot, humid, dry. The only change has been that's it's gotten darker over the years.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Good job i took pics of mine as a baby then, so i can remember what it used to look like (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97833 ) :)
Not that it matters, i think tonewoods, like leather age beautifully, morphing into new nice shades..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
klandfors

Post by klandfors »

Pic is visible for me now. Nice case. Nice flute too!!!
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Those Northwind cases are the business alright. I got one with my Olwell, and I like the case about 99% as much as I like the flute!

Happy Birthday to you(r flute).
m.d.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

I also have a Northwind case with a Altieri cover for my Burns 6 keyed flute. Both Northwind and Altieri make very high quality products that are beautiful and wear forever! The Northwind Flute Case is hand made and if you examine the stitching on the black leather, you can clearly see it is hand stitched. The maker of the Northwind case really knows his business and is great to deal with. These cases are not inexpensive; however, when you consider the high quality of the material and workmanship involved, they are in my opinion a real value.
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

This might sound like a silly question but is there a compartment for a cleaning rod and is that cork grease in the little vial?
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

accordionstu wrote:This might sound like a silly question but is there a compartment for a cleaning rod and is that cork grease in the little vial?
As explained in the first post, there is a case cover which contains a pocket for such things. The little vial is the humidifier.