Advice on buying next flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aaronjw

Advice on buying next flute

Post by Aaronjw »

Hello all,

I'm currently considering buying a new flute. At the moment, I own two: a Forbes, and a 19th Century French 8-key I bought in an antique shop and had (mostly) repaired. But they both have a few shortcomings, and I'm trying to find something that will work a little better for me. I'm a professional musician (I play the organ and am hoping to teach music theory at the college level once I get my masters and doctorate degrees), but the flute is definitely a casual instrument for me. This being the case, I don't always get around to playing every day, which can be bad for my wooden flute. The other issue I have with it is the old-style fingering, requiring one to hold down the Eb key for most notes, which quickly tires out my small hands and makes some passages more difficult to play.

I'm mostly quite happy with the Forbes, but its second octave is sometimes difficult to get a good sound out of. In addition, it does of course lack keys, which is my main reason for considering a new flute.

As I mentioned, the flute is very much a side interest for me, so I would like a flute that won't suffer after going unplayed for a few days or a week, so I would very much like another Delrin.

With all these concerns in mind, the Copley 6-key Delrin flute seems like the perfect choice. What do you think? Have any of you played it? If I get it, I'm considering getting it without the rings to save a hundred bucks as I don't have a ton of money lying around for instruments. I assume this won't actually compromise the structural integrity of the flute, as it is basically plastic, but is there any reason I should keep them other than aesthetics? If I do end up buying it, would there be any reasons to keep my Forbes, or could the Copley do everything the Forbes can at least as well as it? I might be considering selling the Forbes (and maybe the antique) to help pay for the Copley.

Thoughts?
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Advice on buying next flute

Post by paddler »

Dave Copley makes excellent flutes - easy to play and a great sound. The Copley flute you describe will do anything your Forbes will. Both are good flutes (I've had both), but I see no reason to keep the Forbes if you get a keyed Copley and could use the money. The same goes for the French antique.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Paddler is right about the Copley flute, and it's a great choice.

One thing that occurs to me is that you stress that the flute is very much a sideline venture for you, and that you often go days without playing it at all. You also say you have trouble getting a good tone from your Forbes, (which is another fine flute).

Not to restate the obvious, but the flute is a very challenging instrument. I've yet to meet a player who has achieved great tone without putting in a lot of effort over a very long period of time, (think years to decades). If I don't play for a few days in a row, I really notice a difference!

You'd do well to try before buying, if that's an option.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Aaronjw

Post by Aaronjw »

crookedtune wrote:
One thing that occurs to me is that you stress that the flute is very much a sideline venture for you, and that you often go days without playing it at all. You also say you have trouble getting a good tone from your Forbes, (which is another fine flute).

Not to restate the obvious, but the flute is a very challenging instrument. I've yet to meet a player who has achieved great tone without putting in a lot of effort over a very long period of time, (think years to decades). If I don't play for a few days in a row, I really notice a difference!

You'd do well to try before buying, if that's an option.
I only mentioned my trouble getting a good second octave with the Forbes because it's extremely easy to hit those notes with the antique French. I didn't know if one or the other was the norm, or which the Copley would be more like. Also, as I said, my main reason in wanting the Copley over the Forbes is the keys rather than the tone.

I would love to try the Copley out before buying, just in case, but I don't see how that would be possible; the waiting period right now for keyed flutes is 10-12 weeks, so I don't think he has an abundance of instruments he can just ship out to someone wanting to take it for a test drive.
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

Vincenzo Di Mauro wooden flute, or delrin one. Really good!
If you can afford it, I suggest you to choose blackwood.
Good luck