WTB: 8-Key Pratten-like flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

WTB: 8-Key Pratten-like flute

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: WTB: 8-Key Pratten-like flute

Post by plunk111 »

Thanks for cross-posting this so we can make comments! Suggestion... If you want to play jazz, blues, and accidentals, why not just buy a Boehm (modern) flute and keep your wood for Irish? You can get a decent (used) modern flute for less than $500. I have an 8-key Pratten (by John Gallagher) that I love dearly, but I use a "silver flute" for my non-Irish stuff. To be honest, it's mostly 'cause I'm lazy - the keys of F and Bb are a LOT easier on the silver flute. Also, I think most jazz/blues stuff actually sounds better on the metal flute. I guess my suggestion would be to actually try a Pratten for the stuff you want before you drop the big bucks. I don't think you can get a quality 8-key (even used) for much less than $2500. However, if you went to a 6-key, there are a lot more options - specifically, Dave Copley makes a quality 6-key delrin for under $2000.

I'm sure you'll get lots of (opinionated) opinions! Take mine for what it's worth (probably not much!).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
apossibleworld
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by apossibleworld »

I'm gonna have to cordially disagree with Pat here, even though I understand the reasons for that view. 8-key flutes were meant to play chromatically, and if you listen to some of the music that was written for them, you can hear that they were meant to be played with as much complexity as you want. Personally I prefer a flute with smaller holes so you can use the keys and cross finger both, for so many options, but that's just me.

You'd be hard pressed to find a top quality flute from a new builder in that price range, but you're in luck, because there are plenty of neat 19th century originals that can be brought back to life and used. Most makers except for Rudall Rose and Carte will be in your price range. Find one with extra large holes is trickier but not impossible.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dave Copley makes an affordable 8 key, which doesn't have small holes, FWIW.