Piccolo Page

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Piccolo Page

Post by Harry »

Yard sale.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Harry wrote:Yard sale.
As in, by the yard? ;-)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Pat - Neil B has pointed out that I made a mistake in referring to my piccolo as "Rudall, Rose & Carte". It is in fact a Rudall Carte & Co, Serial No 3331* from 23 Berners Street.

Sorry for any confusion, and hope you can correct your blog.

* Have just looked up the serial no and one with the number 2998 at The National Music Museum, South Dakota is stated as being "ca 1893". Mine's 33 piccolos ahead. When would that make it?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

No worries I can correct it. I actually thought that must be early for a piccolo as I've never seen a non Carte one. Have seen some pretty early others (non rudall) though. Are there any piccolos marked Rudall and Rose?

Neil can you tell us why Hawkes and Son Crown AZ are so sought after in the flute band world.
Also any rare band flutes you have or used to have would be interesting.

Take Care All,
Patrick
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Maybe the little 8 keyed f is marked Rudall and Rose?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:Pat - Neil B has pointed out that I made a mistake in referring to my piccolo as "Rudall, Rose & Carte". It is in fact a Rudall Carte & Co, Serial No 3331* from 23 Berners Street.

* Have just looked up the serial no and one with the number 299o at The National Music Museum, South Dakota is stated as being "ca 1893". Mine's 33 piccolos ahead. When would that make it?
Thought I'd told you previously, Ben.... Either Neil or RB told me a good while back, your #3331 is listed as completed Sept 1901, made by Whitman, sold 21:1:1902.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one R,R&C picc either in the old thread about RC piccs here or in my eBay records.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Pat - Neil B has pointed out that I made a mistake in referring to my piccolo as "Rudall, Rose & Carte". It is in fact a Rudall Carte & Co, Serial No 3331* from 23 Berners Street.

* Have just looked up the serial no and one with the number 299o at The National Music Museum, South Dakota is stated as being "ca 1893". Mine's 33 piccolos ahead. When would that make it?
Thought I'd told you previously, Ben.... Either Neil or RB told me a good while back, your #3331 is listed as completed Sept 1901, made by Whitman, sold 21:1:1902.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one R,R&C picc either in the old thread about RC piccs here or in my eBay records.
You probably had. Ask Deb - I never listen. :oops:
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Wrote a longer reply but the site crashed, so....confirm the dates on yours that Jem has posted and adding...sold to a Herrick in (Till) there are a few with this note/place and am not sure if it's a place or what?

The flute in the museum 2998 I cannot trace, but the one before 2997 was made in Feb 1899 & the one after 2999 although notated and made in Feb 1899 as an Eb piccoölo goes onto read.... NOT MADE.

Now re-reading your replies I see you write 299o you must try harder Ben , I can't find that one either LoL
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

In trying to answer your question Patrick....

As I had my collections stolen & want to replace them & these days they are priced so high it hurts:-(( The flute scene in the 20' & 30's had not so many makers to choose from and due to the Hawkes advertising early on in the Century about their new model, it appears many bought them. They are robustly made and play well, so not in dispute with that, just my observations.

I prefer the Rudall Carte simple system ("band flutes", see Jem you've got me knocking them/us also:-)) flutes for tone and quality of workmanship in the main. There was a period during the Gt. War when this slipped and they farmed out the work to the firm "Starck"...this of course is my opinion only, so any family members... NOTE I've no money left due to buying Crown AZ's so your wasting your time in a slander case :-)) Boosey & Co. piccolos are probably the best I have used, as for their other range of flutes, again I can't get anywhere and they also made a lesser quality model, so a deep subject to comment on fully.

As for rare I'm almost in despair of finding a RC F piccolo complete, either x6 keyed or the lesser model with x5....having the body and mouthpiece for this one in wood, but it has been stripped af its keys unfortunately. I am unsure of the form of the D# key took also (I heard that Jem....it is D# to us :-))

Congrat's on your piccolo pages and hope you might turn the above up & if so....a Knighthood awaits... via my last influential contact in GB. Regards Neil.
--------------

Neil can you tell us why Hawkes and Son Crown AZ are so sought after in the flute band world.
Also any rare band flutes you have or used to have would be interesting.

Take Care All,
Patrick
ulsterpiccolo

Post by ulsterpiccolo »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. The reason I'm here is basically to get my hands on a sweet e-flat piccolo ie. a Rudall Carte for decent money. If anyone has any idea where I can attain one could they let me know!

Thanks!

Ps. has anyone ever heard of an Argyle e-flat piccolo??
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Oh dear a "band fluter" it seems LoL....drop me a line direct, I may be able to assist and perhaps you can for me in return, if I read your in NI where most of these old flutes are? I have had ads on the Used Instrument Exchange for a RC piccolo & have got nowhere:-(( oakleaves@gmx.net
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Funnily enough, ulsterpiccolo, I just last week semi-accidentally acquired a RC&Co. Eb 6-keyer just needing an overhaul. It came in with a nice concert flute and I didn't realise it wasn't a D picc until it arrived. It is, even un-fettled, very sweet. But sorry, I'm not going to be selling it. :P

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Stupid question, but we are talking about an Eb picc, are we? Not an F band flute? (Classical terminology 'n' all.)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:Stupid question, but we are talking about an Eb picc, are we? Not an F band flute? (Classical terminology 'n' all.)
Stupid question....... :poke:
Not an F picc either. And an Eb picc or flute would be Db in "classical terminology", of course.

Next?

Oh, and if anyone is puzzled, this may help....

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Stupid question, but we are talking about an Eb picc, are we? Not an F band flute? (Classical terminology 'n' all.)
Stupid question....... :poke:
Not an F picc either. And an Eb picc or flute would be Db in "classical terminology", of course.

Next?

Oh, and if anyone is puzzled, this may help....
You've misunderstood my question, Jem. Someone using classical terminology might refer to the thing we call an 'F band flute' as an '[instrument] in Eb' - yes?

I still think it's worth checking, considering the culture ...

[edit] No, it's an octave above an F band flute, which is kind of my point - is an 'Eb piccolo' (classical terminology) actually an 'F piccolo' (our terminology)?