let petit bal de la marine - Desi Wilkinson version

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

let petit bal de la marine - Desi Wilkinson version

Post by sponge »

Merry christmas to chiffers worldwide,

I have eaten way too much, held off on the drink though, everyone here is on
tick over, or watching rubbish tv, I have been spoilt with some great new CD's,
one in particular that I love, Desi Wilkinsons, Shady Woods, greta stuff, one track that is a real corker very french and playful, is - let petit bal de la marine,
I managed to get a version of session org in notation and ABC, but its not quite the same, does anyone have a version, or has anyone done an Abc version of Desi version, if so I would love to get a copy.

have a great rest of the day :D

Sponge
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: let petit bal de la marine - Desi Wilkinson version

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Why not just use your ears? The answer is already in the recording, just listen. That's the real way to learn this kind of music, not though random letters scribbled on paper.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:Why not just use your ears? The answer is already in the recording, just listen. That's the real way to learn this kind of music, not though random letters scribbled on paper.
Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time. Sponge doesn't say that he needs the ABCs to learn the tune, or even that his intention is to learn the tune. He made a simple request, for whatever reason, and your answer is unhelpful. And if you think that notated music is random letters, then you are the one who needs a music education.

Learning by ear is primary. And studying good transcriptions can be helpful and interesting.

Merry Christmas.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The "Petit Bal" is a French musette waltz, of course, and this YT performance is quite nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY_EKO-k9TM

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

I tend to disagree with you mtguru. I believe the poster is trying to figure out that version of the song and simply put, listening to it over and over can drill it in the brain. I happened to be very literate in written music but I've found it doesn't give enough detail like ornamentation, phrasing, etc, etc. So rather than verbally trash me, perhaps you could read my answer thoroughly above and see that I was positively trying to encourage someone to focus on the recording as the answer could be right there by slowing it down or repeating it over and over.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:Learning by ear is primary. And studying good transcriptions can be helpful and interesting.
100% agreed! So I frequently make transcriptions for my own interest, but couldn't without the ear to do it...
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:I happened to be very literate in written music
In which case you should know that it's rarely 'random letters scribbled on paper'!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
megapop

Post by megapop »

Peter Duggan wrote:
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:I happened to be very literate in written music
In which case you should know that it's rarely 'random letters scribbled on paper'!
Ahem, ahemustardboard, ahem... :)
Last edited by megapop on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Btw, the random note reference is about 'abc' notation.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Which shouldn't be any more 'random' than any other method of notating the same stuff!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Duggan wrote:Which shouldn't be any more 'random' than any other method of notating the same stuff!
Right. ABC is completely isomorphic to staff notation. So it's not letters vs. notes at issue, it's the dismissive "random" bit.

And there's no need for scare quotes around 'ABC'. ABC is the proper name of the notation.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:So rather than verbally trash me ...
If quoting your own words back is trashing, complain to the source. :wink:
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:That's the real way to learn this kind of music
"This kind of music" is Bal Musette. Which, particularly since the post-WW2 revival, has been typically a composed genre with published editions. In the context of which, asking for leads on published or written settings is perfectly reasonable.

It may well be that the OP is looking to learn the Desi Wilkinson setting. I expect we'll find out. I also expect we'll find out if he needed an unsolicited lecture instead of the specific help he was asking for.

sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

thanks for the responses, I know there a many threads on learning by ear, but to be honest O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago, why would you spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to learn by ear if you know your own limitations and know that you ain't ever going to get to a level that is satisfactory without some help, I have 8 days leave with my family and friends, then I am back on a hectic year of assignments, so really any quick way of getting a tune up and running in its basic form is best, then I can add the bits that make the tune really great as I go, I can read music notation or ABC, I really don't have time to learn the art of playing by ear, and as I have always said, its about the music, enjoying it, playing it, anyway that works for you, and not about being a purist.

Why not just use your ears? The answer is already in the recording, just listen. That's the real way to learn this kind of music, not though random letters scribbled on paper.

sponge
iansdunblane

Post by iansdunblane »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuseDn08_78

nothing to do with your original request but Desi's playing here is great (to my ears and thats what counts !)
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

If you're searching by title, I can't help noting that it must be Le Petit Bal..., not Let Petit.... Google would prolly cope, but it'll make difference with indexes.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

s1m0n wrote:If you're searching by title, I can't help noting that it must be Le Petit Bal..., not Let Petit.... Google would prolly cope, but it'll make difference with indexes.
(Hi, Simon! Long time no see. How are you doing?)

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:How are you doing?)
Faking it wildly, as always. I'm well, thanx. I've decided to take myself off to joinery school, and I'm halfway through and having a blast. How you?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis