Flute makers: I got something in my head!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Flute makers: I got something in my head!

Post by radcliff »

I got something stuck in my head!
I just acquired a nice richard potter flute.
While restoring it, I realised that something unexpected was stuck in the head piece.
So here comes a bunch of pics:
the head:

dismounted:

well, there is an extra ring!
it comes from just by the end of the head:

here is how it looks without it:

and here is with it in its original place:

and btw, here is the flute itself:

Old Head's technology?
Last edited by radcliff on Wed May 02, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
LorenzoFlute

Re: Flute makers: I got something in my head!

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Any idea on its use?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I might be totally off base, but isn't that cavity (that is filled with the ring in question) usually used to accept the slide "cover" section that projects from the headjoint side of the barrel? Perhaps it was formerly attached to the barrel and broke off? Cant tell the ring material from your photos, but I am more used to seeing it as an extension to the barrel liner in plated brass or nickel silver (rarely in wood).

Interesting flute in any event. Best of luck with your restoration.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

I can tell you that the ring is made of boxwood, while the barrel has no slide (made not to have it).
Francesco - Rome, Italy
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Better a ring in your head than a ringing in your ears.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

That used to be attached to the barrel, but broke off.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

Jon, quite hard to explain, but I can see that it has nothing to do with the barrel. The ring and the barrel have an opposite shape that do not match each other.
The extra ring is made right to close that head's hole, leaving an air gap inside the head.
I tought maybe the barrel could have been an hose replacement, but all my evidences said that is original and made within the flute (stamp, shape, ivory, stained boxwood). Also the metal tube inside the barrel is made to end up like it is (very well done...).
As I cannot think that having an air gap inside the head gives any advantage, I can only belive it has benn made to avoid extra moviments of the metal tube. But it is such a weak explanation and I cannot stick to it.

I need some ideas as I will not going to reglue the head piece if I cannot understand it! :- )
Francesco - Rome, Italy
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

It looks better in its original place.

Is that an ivory lined embouchure too?
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

Yes, the embouchure is ivory lined.
Here it is after 24h

and I've found a mark under the Bb key
Francesco - Rome, Italy
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

It's starting to clean up nicely!

Looking at the photos it seems to me that the headjoint was originally produced with the intention of having a typical tuning slide and then at some point it was modified to the current configuration, for whatever reason. Could have been after the flute was originally produced, or perhaps partway through production. The Ivory embouchure hole isn't standard either, and could have been done along with the slide modification as, or as part of customization or repairs - as bushings for example are often done to alter an existing embouchure size/shape or repair a damaged edge. Can be a purely cosmetic appointment as well.

Perhaps the original barrel cracked and was replaced with the current one based on the owners preference. Or maybe the owner simply didn't like the look or weight of the full metal slide? Could be the flute had corps de recharge made for it to play at differing pitches and the flute no longer "needed" a slide.

At any rate, I have seen similar slide modifications before ( while I was at Von Huene), although I am not clear why it was done at the time. One more thing on the long list of items I should have asked Freidrich about but didn't think to at the time.......sign.

Loren
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

Thanks Loren,
This flute is a nice one.
I cannot find nor remember of another fully keyed potter with square keys.
Also the crown is slighty different from his standard as well as the last bottom ring (in "german" shape).
I can spot few other issues:
1- The shot F block is possibly e a replacement
2- the G# block have is been fixed
3- the long F key has been removed but the original pin was still in.
3b- the long F hole has been pluged with a nice piece of cork

So: new theory: the flute has been refixed by Potter at a certain stage, and by that time the barrell was reworked. so they add that ring in order not t have the metal tube "move" near the empty area.
I guess it make some sense...

ps
the embouchure looks to be a pure cosmetic extra.
Francesco - Rome, Italy