New Gallagher Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: New Gallagher Flute

Post by Peter Duggan »

toddyboy50 wrote:I think delrin is pretty much the same price as the wooden flutes.... the makers I've talked to say that they are at least the same difficulty to work with, and some even prefer not to.
plunk111 wrote:I suspect the only benefit from a makers' perspective is that delrin is consistent. I don't know how many pieces of ABW John throws away every year, but I know he throws some away 'cause I've seen a few! Lots of times the maker can't tell if there's a flaw in the wood until he's fairly far along in the process.
Dave Copley charges less for Delrin, explains why here (very much along the lines Pat's suggesting) and also makes great Delrin flutes!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

Peter Duggan wrote:
plunk111 wrote:I suspect the only benefit from a makers' perspective is that delrin is consistent. I don't know how many pieces of ABW John throws away every year, but I know he throws some away 'cause I've seen a few! Lots of times the maker can't tell if there's a flaw in the wood until he's fairly far along in the process.
Dave Copley charges less for Delrin, explains why here (very much along the lines Pat's suggesting) and also makes great Delrin flutes!

I quite agree that Dave Copley makes a great Delrin flute and does in my humble opinion sound like wood. I look forward to getting the test flute to see where I suspect is moving the l3 and r3 closer. I don't think that will affect the sound that it produces.

in my humble opinion that is. :D
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

i too, just got the Delrin R&R from Gallagher. i love it like i love his other flutes (i have his pratten and small holed R&R model), that's it for me, i'll probably have the Delrin keyed and let go of my other flutes (if anyone want the buy the small holed R&R, it's truly a great flute).
the great thing is that john will add keys to the delrin flute, it's a great way to upgrade a flute that you already know and love.
to me, his flutes are the most responsive of any other flutes that i have played.
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

eilam wrote:i too, just got the Delrin R&R from Gallagher. i love it like i love his other flutes (i have his pratten and small holed R&R model), that's it for me, i'll probably have the Delrin keyed and let go of my other flutes (if anyone want the buy the small holed R&R, it's truly a great flute).
the great thing is that john will add keys to the delrin flute, it's a great way to upgrade a flute that you already know and love.
to me, his flutes are the most responsive of any other flutes that i have played.
I can't help but asking. So, you have the pratten and the small holed R and R. The large hole R&R. Is there a big difference in the hole sizes, bore and l2-l3 and r2-r3 stretch?

What is the differences in the two in your opinion? I assume that you prefer the pratten.

:D
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

I have a 6-keyed small-holed J. Gallagher flute that I love. I've had it around 5 years now and it's great. The only flute I like as much is my keyless Byrne, which has a slightly darker tone. I prefer both of them to Olwells, but that's just my personal preference. Smaller-holed flutes are easier for my hand size. Glad to hear John Gallagher is getting more and more kudos.
eilam

Post by eilam »

the large hole R&R and Pratten are pretty close in hole size, when i check side by side, the left hand and right hand are a bit closer to each other on the R&R, but they are both very comfortable to me, i like the single body of the Pratten type body. there is a difference in tune, and both my kids and wife said they really liked the tone of the R&R with out even knowing i was playing a new flute, i think it's very lively where the Pratten may be dark and dry? :puppyeyes: since the Pratten is keyed, i play it the most and feel closest to it, it has wide decorated rings and John made one for my wedding ring in that style.
i want to narrow my flute collection to just one flute, and i'd be happy with a keyed Delrin flute by Gallager in any one of his models. the small holed R&R is just as loud as the other two...i think the Pratten has a biggest low D of the three? and the cork set 3-4mm further from the embouchure? so i may play around with the cork and see how it effected to bottom D? i have yet to play them side by side, and just enjoy playing them.
the delrin is totally new, and it's as good , and i really love it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This isn't in the spirit of controversy. Really want to know. I've played some delrin flutes and always found
them somewhat less interesting in sound than wood. Jessie K once said that 'the spirit of the tree is alive in
the wooden flute,' not in the delrin. So really (sincere question) how do they compare--especially interested in the
Gallagher, as some of us have both wood and delrin? The idea of a care-free fine flute is appealing, heaven knows.
eilam

Post by eilam »

the Delrin R&R is very lively, to play and in it's tone. it's like those dogs on a leash that just want to run ;)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thank you. I just had a wooden flute crack and suddenly delrin is a lot more attractive.
eilam

Post by eilam »

i don't think i have ever had a flute crack on me, but my M&E gets the most play time because it's always ready.....it's my travel flute...i love it and it's a great deal for the money, but does not compare to the Gallagher, and now i have the Delrin to pick up and play......once i get it keyed, there would be no reason to keep the other flutes.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jim stone wrote:Jessie K once said that 'the spirit of the tree is alive in the wooden flute,' not in the delrin.
The spirit of the tree is alive in the Delrin, too. Except that the tree was a gymnosperm in a Carboniferous swamp. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

I've never seen a Dryad in any flute...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Peter Duggan wrote:I've never seen a Dryad in any flute...
Seriously? Despite the libations of distilled ash-tray washings? ;-)

Also seriously ( :boggle: ), be careful (me too) - mention of Jessie and dryads and flutes in the same thread.... well, tempts.....something......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Something heard, not seen.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jim stone wrote:Something heard, not seen.
Like birds. Maybe parakeets. Or a pair of Keats. Ode dear, that will urn a few groans.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.