Custom wooden headjoint makers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tonehole
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Custom wooden headjoint makers

Post by Tonehole »

Does anyone have any wooden headjoint, which didn't come with your flute?

I play an old system flute and my wooden headjoint has had it. Needing a new one, but I don't where to get these.

I tried a Guo flute headjoint, but these don't fit. None of the flute centre heads fit and the shop tell me its because my flute is too old.

My headjoint is a double tube - the inner one is 19mm, and the outer tube is 25mm.

Is there an affordable custom wooden headjoint maker who could make something like this?
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Custom wooden headjoint makers

Post by tsackett »

The previous owner of my antique William Hall had John Gallagher make a new head joint for it. It's very good, but I don't know how much it cost.
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

If it's an old (simple) system, an headjoint of a new (Boehm) system flute is never going to fit. You need to be sure that the quality of your flute is good enough or it will not be worth the buy... Is there any maker's mark? Can you post a picture?
I'm going to have a new headjoint for my old flute from Sam Murray for about 320 euros. You may want to buy locally though, where are you from?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Unless its a boehm style tube but old system fingering in which case a boehm style headjoint custom fitted would be ideal. Hard to know if we don't see the flute. Is it conical or cylindrical?
Wow 320 euros is very reasonable Lorenzo, how long was qotued for the wait?
Is it for the Thomas Glen you got off ebay?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Jem Hammond ("jemtheflute" around here) may well be able to help, and it may even be more possible than you might think to restore your existing headjoint, however badly you think it's worn/damaged. He's up in North Wales, which is a fair way away from you ... but there's always the post. I'd send him a message (PM), if I were you. I know he's got a lot on at the moment :poke: , but he's full of useful advice in these matters.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Yes it's for the Thomas Glen :)
I gave the deposit in November and if Sam doesn't say for the third time "pass again next week" (I'm living in Galway now), he should make it on tuesday. I'm very excited about it!

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

As per above posts - yes, post some pictures so we know exactly what you've got and what state it is in. It may indeed be more repairable than you think - show us!

If it is a cylindrical head for a conoid simple system flute, probably a majority of the makers on the Makers List (which I'm due to update as soon as I get a chance...) are quite happy to make new heads to fit old flutes. Quite a few specifically offer that on their websites (Abell, Hoza spring to mind) and most will do so if you talk to them. Go have a browse.

Ben seems to know where you're situated (mod's eye view?) - if you tell us (put it in your profile?) I may be able to make more specific suggestions for resources within your reach.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Nice Lorenzo, looking forward to hearing it after you get used to it. A Murray was the first good flute I was introduced to and played, wasnt mine but I played it often. Few fllutes have compared since , a bit like first loves.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

dunnp wrote:Nice Lorenzo, looking forward to hearing it after you get used to it. A Murray was the first good flute I was introduced to and played, wasnt mine but I played it often. Few fllutes have compared since , a bit like first loves.
And the thing about first loves, and first flutes, unless you're really lucky enough to find someone/thing early enough that you're going to learn to live with over the years ... is that you never had to live with them over the years, so they're bathed in that misty rosy light of imbecilic imagination.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

First flutes first loves, still nice to run into them at a pub though.

That is until your married and find a Blackman flute.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I highly recommend Chris Abell. He makes some might fine headjoints. I know many people order head joints from him for their wooden flutes and their silver flutes. In my own experience, they are easy to blow and have a great sound.

http://abellflute.com/head-joint.html
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

...and cost like a full flute!

Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

Wow. That's a lot of posts to get through.

Another forum pointed me to this page:

http://www.larrykrantz.com/woodmake.htm

I've had a few offers so I'll check those out.

Thanks everyone.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

"A listing of makers of wooden headjoints for silver flutes; and makers of silver headjoints with wooden embouchure plates."
This might not be what you're looking for, even if some of the makers are the same as the ones listed on this forum. Again, a picture of your flute would be useful, it might not be worth a new expensive headjoint...

Gaitaslibre

Post by Gaitaslibre »

Othannen wrote:...and cost like a full flute!
Chris' headjoints are really worth the money. His headjoint transformed my David Williams 5 key from a good flute to a great flute. Much easier to play, better tone control and dynamics.